Author Topic: Tricks to get portable in truck  (Read 3870 times)

Offline VTtwinner

• IceShanty Rookie
Tricks to get portable in truck
« on: Mar 31, 2010, 01:02 PM »
You know you have it bad when you're already thinking about next season, NOW.

I have a Shappell 1.5 flip shanty, and want to get a 2 person next year.  I've been looking at the Clam Yukon.  The problem is
lifting it in and out of the back of my pickup.  Anyone have any ideas?  It weighs 100+# empty.  More like 125# when it has equipment in it, that I wont take out.  Any Ideas?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tricks to get portable in truck
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Find a good snow bank?

125#'s should not be that difficicult to handle I would not think.

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2010, 02:22 PM »
From my experience, its not that its heavy, it's just awkward.

What I do is lift up one end and rest it on the tailgate, and then lift the other and slide it in.  I keep alot of gear in my shack and with a cover on it, I have never had any problems.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2010, 02:45 PM »
What I do is lift up one end and rest it on the tailgate, and then lift the other and slide it in.  I keep alot of gear in my shack and with a cover on it, I have never had any problems.

I take most of my gear out and do it this way as well.   The only time I have a lot of trouble is if there is no snow on the ice.  It can be comical to see me try to get it set up on the tail gate and shuffle to the end of the shack on the ice, only to have it slip off the tailgate 4 or 5 times before I get to it before it slips..... ;D :-\  There is nothing to hold it in place on bare ice.

Probably should get a bungee strap to hold it on the tailgate....but that would be too easy.....and not near as fun for the neighbors to watch.

Uplandhuntr

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2010, 03:01 PM »
You might try a couple old planks.They sell  metal attachments for the tailgate end.They don't need to be long or strong -just enough to give you a ramp to slide your sled up.Just leave em in the back of the truck -if they are too good someone might walk off w/em while you're on the ice

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2010, 08:40 PM »
I would think a couple of 2 x 4's should work.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Mount a set of skis on the bottom of the sled---it saves the bottom of the sled and the skis will give you the added length to reach your tailgate.  Lift and shove it in

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2010, 10:53 PM »

I do the same.  It's not that bad and doesn't seem to weigh anywhere near 100 lbs when you do it this way.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Waterwolf Doug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2010, 11:40 PM »
I do the same.  It's not that bad and doesn't seem to weigh anywhere near 100 lbs when you do it this way.

Same here, I have a homemade portable that probably go's about 100 lbs with the sled
I just lift the front so its leaning up in the back of the truck, then lift the back as I push it forward. You could always take a kid fishing and put him to work.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2010, 12:08 AM »
You could always take a kid fishing and put him to work.
Thats what I do! Kids come in handy at times. Bad thing is 2 more years & he's off to college. I may have to downsize some then.  I like the 2 x 4 idea also. Need to rig them up so they dont slide off the tailgate and if they come up missing, its not that expensive to replace.( if they do happen to come up missing then you'll know NEVER leave any thing valuable in the truck!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2010, 05:53 AM »
I bolted an angled piece of metal on the end of a 2x4 put it on the end of kind of a tall f150 then lift and push on the back end.  Ain't as strong or young as I useta was.  Better idea for next year is I just bought an end of the season Frabill Recon DLX one manner shack.

Offline VTtwinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2010, 06:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  The weight is part of the issue, but its just the size.  The sled I used this winter(1.5 Rover), empty was manageable.  Most times we unload at the access and trek out on foot to fish.  At the end of the night(8,9, 10:00pm), after a good walk through snow back to your truck, your wiped.  Just don't want to wipe out my back some night.  I'm thinking 2 long 2x4's with metal tailgate brackets would be good.  If there is a snowbank to back up to, then that works. 

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:32 AM »
rope and pulley ?

Offline Parks Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Last season I used a piece of plywood as a ramp.  It was light and easy to maneuver.  Depending on the length of the ramp, you could easily drag it up the ramp while standing in the bed of the truck. Disconnecting the hangers (cables or flat bars) on the side of the tailgate will give you a better angle.
The nearest thing to heaven is a child

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Vt, I have the Rover 1.5 also. I don't like to have to load and unload everything when I go out other than my electronics that need charged. I used a 6'- 2X6 with the metal tailgate bracket on the end. Simply get behind it and slide it up the plank. I did make a gizmo out of plastic conduit (1 1/2") bolted to two metal brackets. It was my attempt to make a ramp that would allow you to roll it up in to the truck. I haven't quite perfected it yet but think it has some merit. A good summertime project when you're dreaming of ice fishing. My buddy has the Rover 2.0 and the fortunate thing about it is it's long enough to sit on the edge of the tailgate while the bottom is on the ground. The trouble is it's too dog gone heavy to drag on the ice particularly if there is any snow. Hope this helps.  Lou

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2010, 10:30 PM »
2 x 4's  with plastic on them (plastic slides on plastic easy) with metal brackets so they wont fall off and push it up the "ramp" ?

Offline reelbigfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just one more and we'll all go.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2010, 06:55 AM »
Has anyone tried to rig a power wench in the back of their truck to pull heavier shanties up the ramps?  All of the lift, push, and shove makes my back hurt just thinking about it.
Adopt the pace of nature.  Her secret is patience.                        Emerson

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2010, 11:45 AM »
I think next year I will build a ramp out of snow/ice in the yard to load up the truck.  It won't help me at the lake but it will be half as much wear and tear on the back.  A lot of the times I just fish with out it since it's so much easier to cover a lot of ice that way.  ATV ramps would also work.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2010, 07:15 AM »
how about an old ratcheting bout crank mounted to bulkhead of the truckbed?  could be made removable for when your not fishin`,and could probably find an old one on the cheap. did that on my trailer and it`s pretty handy sometimes.

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2010, 02:39 PM »
I would think a couple of 2 x 4's should work.
i agree.thats what i do

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Bring some of these and you will never want to show your weak!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:59 AM »
You might try a couple old planks.They sell  metal attachments for the tailgate end.They don't need to be long or strong -just enough to give you a ramp to slide your sled up.Just leave em in the back of the truck -if they are too good someone might walk off w/em while you're on the ice
I load my x2 this way works slick and it ways 140 empty

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 11, 2010, 07:52 AM »

Has anyone tried to rig a power wench in the back of their truck to pull heavier shanties up the ramps?  All of the lift, push, and shove makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Here you go - or maybe that's not what you meant :clap: :clap:

Offline gvoelkl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2010, 07:41 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Now we're talkin'!!!! Leavin' kid home next winter and replacing with Duck Doctor's shanty wench...I mean winch.

GV

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2010, 11:45 PM »

That is the same way I do it with my Yukon also. another thing is I usually have my trailer too so I pull it up into there then lift onto the tailgate, it is a shorter lift doing it that way.

Joe

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2010, 10:12 AM »
I have used the snowbank method, but the key is just to have good footing.

It can be a real pain in the backside to get into my truck.

I have a topper, so the crane idea won't work.

Wiener

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:44 PM »
the jet sled has that slant on the front set it on your tailgateget behind it and push er in!!!!

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 04:05 AM »
I built a rear rack for my reciever that fit my shack, so I do not have to lift so far. It made things much easier and more room in the back for all the crap I want to take with.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 10:17 PM »
I built a rear rack for my reciever that fit my shack, so I do not have to lift so far. It made things much easier and more room in the back for all the crap I want to take with.

Not a bad idea,any photos? thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.