The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Maines First Ice Master Classic**UPDATE**  (Read 13259 times)

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Maines First Ice Master Classic
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Yes that was my thought excatly.target different fish from each lake so at the end of fishing all 5-7-10 lakes we would crown the most well rounded fisherman per-say.and give prizes? at the end of the last Turney lake or pond.

each turney lake would consist of just:

Togue=lake x
Trout & Salmon=lake x
Pike=lake x
Perch,Pickeral,Bass,Crappie= lake x or some combination what ever works.
NO MUSKIE=sorry northern chapter.

And the North chapter and Southern chapter is a wonderful idea,not everyone can afford to drive 4-6 hrs every weekend to fish.and to compete.

And you could have some daily prizes for the people who want to compete but cant do all the lakes for 2-3 months,

HEY LURKERS I KNOW YOUR OUT THERE!!! So what do think? we need your input to,would you be interested in someting like this..COME ON SAY SOMETHING,JUST DONT SIT THERE,,SPEAK UP!!! YOU TOO COULD WIN AND BE THE BEST OF THE BEST.YOU WOULD HAVE BRAGGING RIGHTS FOR A WHOLE YEAR...NOT TO MENTION POSSIBLE$$$$$$$$$$
SO WHAT DO YOU SAY???????????????? :)

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:27 PM »
you could use some of already established derbies as a few of the ponds.  plus help out the derbies as well.  Or you could pay the entrance fees plus extra at the derby as part of the tourny trail.  Derby Guy and I were thinking of this plan a few years back but couldnt get enough derbies involved. 

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Sounds like a great idea. I'd be in.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is there going to be a prize for second place.  ;D I don't see myself catching more fish than Will.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Great Idea!! I'm In!!! :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Is there going to be a prize for second place.  ;D I don't see myself catching more fish than Will.
I WOULD THINK THE TOP 10 BEST FISHERMAN GET MONEY AND WOULD BE SOME DOOR PRIZES??

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:52 PM »
OK, I'd be more then happy to get things going, just say the word.
I think it would be better to keep it statewide in the beginning, so we can see what kind of intrest is out there. Might be a good idea to have Rep. from North, Central, and South though. Something like this would need someone to plan parking, bait, ect...

I would like to see it be a team event 2 guys like out west. Fishing is fun but much more when you have a buddy to share the expierence and expense
I agree, it would add a little excitement and it's easy for some ppl to keep motivated if they know someone else is depending on them. :)

you could use some of already established derbies as a few of the ponds.  plus help out the derbies as well.  Or you could pay the entrance fees plus extra at the derby as part of the tourny trail.  Derby Guy and I were thinking of this plan a few years back but couldnt get enough derbies involved.  
Just what I was thinking Todd, then we wouldn't have to try to work around all the derbies.

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Maybe billditrite can post a poll at the top page and we can see who's interested?I think this could be a really cool deal if we can enough people involved..and we would have to start now so we have enough time to get everything lined up before next season.

Offline mdanforth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:10 PM »
I'd be interested in playing........

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:15 PM »
I would be willing to help in the creation of this too...  My only concern with making derbys part of it is, we all know how the fishing isn't usually as good when there is a derby...in turn making it harder to get your limit... we could make it a Sunday thing or something as to no collide with most derbies...  that way we could still participate in the derbies too...but with that also, the derbies are usually a time to hangout with friends and fish for a good cause, were this would be to compete with each other... we don't want to take from the camraderie we have...
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:28 PM »
i'm with mike , i wouldn't want to do this at a derby either  :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Good idea guys but theirs a ton of work to put something like this together

Offline Mearzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:50 PM »
well yea at 8.50 a doz for smelt   

ouch, I'd build a trap!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:57 PM »
There will be no way in He#$ your gonna be able to schedule around all of the Derbys. This contest or tournament should be open to more than IS members. If you play your cards right it could turn out to be a very big deal in the future. Its alot like the Bass Tournament trail. Just imagine 100 teams on the ice everyweekend at different locations throughout the State To be crowned the Maine Ice Master. I would think with a little bit of elbow grease you could pick up Tournament Sponsors( Strikemaster, Jiffy, Clam, Otter, etc )and Individual Team Sponsors( Polaris, your work, bait dealers, etc) I would suggest a fixed fee to enter this tournament like $400 (400x100=$40,000) and pay out the top 10 teams 1st 20% =$8000 or $4000 per person
2nd 15%=$6000 or $3000 per person etc

So you and your partner need to come up with $200 per person and getto fish like 10 mini tournaments throughout the season for a chance at $4000

Not a bad investment if you know how to fish

just my 2cents  

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:12 PM »
We wouldn't do it around all the derbies I understand that, but most of the big ones are on Saturday,  so that leaves Sunday open for this on most weekends...  I would be willing to do a lot of work to get it going, draft letters to sponsers, obviously the first year would be a learning year.  It should be open to all those that want to do it, the more the merrier...  We would have to probably launch it sometime in October to get the word out and give people enough time to sign up,  an entrants fee would probably have to be part of it, to raise money for prizes and all that.  I think one of the first things we would have to do is form an organization to be the controllers of it all...like Bass Masters is.   There are a 100 different variables to think of, Ice Conditions are a big part too...and would probably condense the timeframe we have for it all...and those that want to participate may have to choose to participate in this or the derbies, of course the intention is not to take from the existing derbies more to create something that is on a larger scale... 

Offline dvn4flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:14 PM »
Great idea.  Had a few questions and thoughts.  Would the tourneys be catch and kill or would you consider doing a paper tourney depending on species targeted.  I usually keep brookies, perch and an occasional salmon for the table but most everything else goes back.  In the bass club I'm in we run paper tourneys for all the club tourneys.  When someone catches a fish the other guy in the boat weighs and records it.  If someone is fishing alone he keeps the fish in the livewell until he runs into another boater who weighs the fish.  Would a point system work instead of total weight for the season?  We award prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and big fish.  Maybe you could make 1st place worth 5 points, 2nd 4 points, 3rd 3 points, big fish 2 points and a point for each legal fish up to the limit....or something like that.  That way you could fish for different species and still keep things somewhat equal.

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I think that this is a great idea and id love to participate in something like this. Lets hope we can get it going.
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Those are a lot of the details we would have to work out, whether it would be a weight type of tourney trail or a length tourney trail, paper or a live weigh in...  We would have to create a committee to make these decisions, so that the decisions are considered fair to all because we have the input from a group instead of one person making it all up, everything would have to be put down on paper and we you register, you would be accepting the terms and rules of the tourney trail.  The lakes would all be selected in advance, nothing left to chance,  I think a prize pool for each week, then a Final fish off for the big prizes...but again this would have to be decided by the committee...     

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:36 PM »
  The lakes would all be selected in advance, nothing left to chance, 
maybe a back up lake for each week in case of weather or conditions or what not ,  and set up the trial like more north in jan and more south in feb then back up so there's a better chance of good ice .

dont they do something like this in ny, mi, wi area ? trap attack or something like that  :-\

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Oh and no prefishing!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:45 PM »
I would be in this sounds great and if we are doing teams that would be more exciting.....Scott what do you say you in?

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Would The tournament be open to all species or would it be specific species for the body of water being fished?
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:49 PM »
That's the way I was thinking it, depending on the lake, would be the type of fish targeted...  take Moosehead for example...  if fishing that lake, it would be lakers..  set a bag limit..  either inches or weight.. Sabbatus would be pike...  Chickee would be perch..lol, and let the games begin...  only thing that is hard in the winter is culling your fish, to get your inches or weight up... just some more to think about...It's possible..

Would The tournament be open to all species or would it be specific species for the body of water being fished?
:tipup:

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:59 PM »
The only derby I had in mind was Sebago, just because the size of the lake. I wouldn't really want to have an event like this at a typical derby, way to much traffic to have a true outcome.
Lefty has some great idea's, some I could have swore I mentioned earlier....lol  :P

I think a commitee needs to be created and some research done, get ppl's thoughts and idea's and then come up with a rough draft of the rules.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Where is somwhere in the middle that we can meet

Lewiston
Augusta
My place(Buxton)

LEts get together and get something going
Maybe meet an hour or so prior to the banquet

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Id be in for sure   as long as it is statewide equal # of lakes  north south central   Id also be in for a forming committee   meetings could be held in a privite chat on yahoo too  thus saving on travel!    I do think IF$w   (was done on pourpose)  will need to be included

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:06 PM »
I belive   medway is the middle of the state!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:07 PM »
The only derby I had in mind was Sebago, just because the size of the lake. I wouldn't really want to have an event like this at a typical derby, way to much traffic to have a true outcome.
gee..... you make that sound like it's not too busy during the bago derby.... :woot:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:08 PM »
and didnt learn   lol

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:11 PM »
by adding a independent derby to an existing derby would could possibly cause problems   where you were told to clear off the lake  so Id avocate to avoid  the derbys or the lakes involved at the time of derbys    history shows issues

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:17 PM »
gee..... you make that sound like it's not too busy during the bago derby.... :woot:
Your prolly right, I've never had the pleasure of fishing Jordon Bay or other spot that are crowded.  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.