The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Maines First Ice Master Classic**UPDATE**  (Read 13256 times)

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Maines First Ice Master Classic
« Reply #60 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Is there a list of all the derby's that went on this year,to see if there is any room in between some of them?

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:25 PM »
Well What I think we need at least 7 people to get  this off and running

Issues that need to be addressed

1-MIFW Permits and Fees
2- Dates Lakes and ponds
3- Sponsorships
4- Rule Committe
5- Advertising
6- Legal Issues ie Liabilty etc
7- Website creation

If you are interested in any if these pipe up

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #62 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Is there a list of all the derby's that went on this year,to see if there is any room in between some of them?
It would be impossible to not conflict with derby's, there is a derby somewhere every weekend day. Thats why I don't think something like this should be every weekend, all season long.

Offline turtlebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I think you should have some of both nonderbys and derby. You fish each a little different. takes more skill with the combation of both.
take a kid fishing

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #64 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:43 PM »
It would be impossible to not conflict with derby's, there is a derby somewhere every weekend day. Thats why I don't think something like this should be every weekend, all season long.
is there some rule about 2? derbies per lake/year?? might want to register derby dates early.

i think a CR derby would be good, at the end of the day take in ur biggest picture like the on line derbies, you get ur dated badge the morning off, to include in photos. how about teams and solo

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Your prolly right, I've never had the pleasure of fishing Jordon Bay or other spot that are crowded.  ::)

I think we could have 2 derbys on one day ,one up north and down south,split up the masses..

Offline hardwaterAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Hey this sounds great. would non residents be able to compete also?
hardwaterAL

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Absolutley,we would need all hard water Addicts..State wide&country wide

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #68 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:25 PM »
This all sounds very interesting and something I would like to participate in.  Let me know what I could do to help.
~Jeff

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #69 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:38 PM »
I would be in this sounds great and if we are doing teams that would be more exciting.....Scott what do you say you in?

you know me.... I'm in! ;D
Scott Wright

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #70 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:08 PM »
What if...............?

Instead there being a particular body of water targeted each weekend (day), there was a particular species targeted for the two man team?  That would eliminate "some" derby issues, parking, and the geographic issues.

A MIMC card (Maine Ice Master Classic) could be posted by midnight for the day of the event, and an identifiable picture taken with the length.  That way fish could be put back, and pictures "culled" if larger fish are caught.  As previously mentioned, points would be awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. to be accumulated throughout the tournament season to award a winner.  Leave a week or two at the end in case of ties and there could be a fish off like "Quicky at Chicky" to determine the final winner.

Just a thought.  Seems it would be easier to plan and pull off.  Perhaps for the first year.

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Sounds like a cool idea but i think  5 would be enough and i really dont think you can work around the derby's there are just too many that people  do every year and  look forward to these events !!

Todd was right  you need to get  5 derbys involved

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:18 PM »
What if...............?
A MIMC card (Maine Ice Master Classic) could be posted by midnight for the day of the event, and an identifiable picture taken with the length. 

What if someone wants to go to camp on Thursday or Friday  and has no computer  to print a card ?

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #73 on: Mar 04, 2010, 04:59 AM »
What if someone wants to go to camp on Thursday or Friday and has no computer to print a card ?
i think that's the point, so someones not fishing thur-sat while the rest are only get Sat to fish. If it was one particular pond per day, your card could be waiting one the ice at a registration area ???

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Mar 04, 2010, 05:11 AM »
The Photo idea is a good one.  It would allow the fish not wanted to be released alive. A Laptop could be at the site and pics downloaded. Current info could be posted all day. Good Idea.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Mar 04, 2010, 06:20 AM »
I am reading and pondering everyones ideas have some concerns but will wait a bit to gather my thoughts.

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:33 AM »
I think the photo idea is a good one for getting the IMC up and running, but I would think that sponsors probably would want a more 'official' way of keeping track to help avoid weight inconsistencies, cheating, etc.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #77 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:41 AM »
Kill'em,weigh'em and grill'em! No controversy that way. Then it's one on the board or one back down the hole. It will make you stop and think about every fish. This is sounding like way to many rules.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Almost like it is being run by flatlanders or something.  ;D ;D

Offline Swamp Donkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:09 AM »
5 events sonds reasonable, with maybe one that could be missed? or not counted? best 4 out of 5 scores count? just an Idea. Maybe Schedule Northern derbys early Jan. Safe ice first, not that many derbys untill late Jan.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Kill'em,weigh'em and grill'em! No controversy that way. Then it's one on the board or one back down the hole. It will make you stop and think about every fish. This is sounding like way to many rules.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Almost like it is being run by flatlanders or something.  ;D ;D
ya forgot lawyers!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:48 AM »
One of the problems with fishing just one body is water that i can see is the granting a permit.If this happens to take off,I dont see them granting a permit due to the fact there would be to many people fishing that body of water out.of cold water fish.

This could change to a PIKE only thing hitting all invected waters? I know the northern Fisherman would have to drive every weekend,which is not fair..the problem is too many people would be fishing for cold water fish.its not like Bass fishing where you can keep them alive in a livewell and released alive back every day.

here are the RESTRICTIONS:from IFW

RESTRICTIONS
1. No fishing derbies or tournaments will be permitted on any single body of water having surface area of less than 100 acres and managed by the Department for cold water fish species (trout, salmon and/or togue) or if the issuance of a permit would be inconsistent with the fisheries management objectives of the waters being affected.

2. No fishing derbies or tournaments will be permitted prior to June 15th of the open water fishing season.

3. No more than 4 derbies or tournaments will be permitted on any single body of water in a calendar year. County-wide or state-wide derbies or tournaments shall not be counted as a derby or tournament on any one body of water.

4. The total cash value of prizes to be awarded at any single fishing derby (excluding door prizes) shall not exceed $10,000 except: a. When a derby is of a regional nature, involves more than a single body of water, or only involves waters not managed by the department for cold water fish species (trout, salmon and/or togue), the total cash value of prizes to be awarded (excluding door prizes) shall not exceed $25,000 or:

b. There shall be no restrictions on the cash value of prizes to be awarded(excluding door prizes) at derbies of a statewide nature;

c. When, as determined by the department, the derby is consistent with and facilitates the achievement of the Department’s fisheries management objectives for the species and the inland water on which the event will be held, there shall be no restriction on the cash value of the prizes awarded.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:01 AM »
This could change to a PIKE only thing

Hush !!!!    gotta ruin a good thread with that word    so here we go again.......
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Hush !!!!    gotta ruin a good thread with that word    so here we go again.......

I know I thought they would have cesored that 4 lettered word.. :-\ ;D

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:31 AM »
One of the problems with fishing just one body is water that i can see is the granting a permit.If this happens to take off,I dont see them granting a permit due to the fact there would be to many people fishing that body of water out.of cold water fish.

This could change to a PIKE only thing hitting all invected waters? I know the northern Fisherman would have to drive every weekend,which is not fair..the problem is too many people would be fishing for cold water fish.its not like Bass fishing where you can keep them alive in a livewell and released alive back every day.

BB the state has bag limits in place on all lakes and ponds. You will need to adhere to the State of Maine Fishing Laws IMO this will not create a pressure problem on cold water species

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:42 AM »
My concern is that if everyone keeps every legal fish that is caught that day,it would put abnormal pressure on that body of water that it wouldn't normally have.I would hope that most people would through back most fish that they catch,that they deem not worth registering do to the size.I personally wouldn't keep a 14" - 16" Salmon or a 6-13" brookie but some people want to eat what they catch,and that is perfectly okay.thats why we have a stocking program.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:58 AM »
If it were to be teams, just limit the catch accordingly. As will stated, it would be the choice of taking your chances with that fish or releasing it and trying for a bigger one.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Mar 04, 2010, 11:31 AM »
ok its not called trap attack anymore it's the north american ice fishing championship

maybe you can get them behind this some like a branch of .....

heres their site

http://www.naifc.com/

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Mar 04, 2010, 01:58 PM »
ok its not called trap attack anymore it's the north american ice fishing championship

heres their site

Looks cool,but i couldn't see what the prizes were and what they fished for?

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Mar 04, 2010, 02:30 PM »

heres their site

I am pretty sure but not positve that they only fish for panfish
 I think what we are trying to do is the all round fisherman togue. salmon, crappie, brookies, pike etc. Hazzy can you get that private chat up and going so those who are interested in the organization of this can talk and form a plan.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Mar 04, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Looks cool,but i couldn't see what the prizes were and what they fished for?
i'm not sure either, prolly fishing for pannies and perch seems to be what most other states go for  :laugh:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.