New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Shanty  (Read 2789 times)

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Shanty
« on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:02 PM »
I have been adding gear steadily since I have been on this site and now I'm considering getting a portable ice shanty. I emailed with one member and got some good feedback. I am just wondering what other people think. I like to be mobile and free to roam, but it would be nice to have a home base if I feel like getting out of the wind or just relax. I also have a Ford Taurus so I couldn't get anything big. I have seen a few Eastmans and Killzones on Ebay that are relatively cheap. I am into portability, lightweight, and economical--but good quality. Any suggestions? Anyone ever hear anything about the Killzone brand?

Vin
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
Re: Ice Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:39 PM »
I have been adding gear steadily since I have been on this site and now I'm considering getting a portable ice shanty. I emailed with one member and got some good feedback. I am just wondering what other people think. I like to be mobile and free to roam, but it would be nice to have a home base if I feel like getting out of the wind or just relax. I also have a Ford Taurus so I couldn't get anything big. I have seen a few Eastmans and Killzones on Ebay that are relatively cheap. I am into portability, lightweight, and economical--but good quality. Any suggestions? Anyone ever hear anything about the Killzone brand?

Vin

I think you might have to pay for those things ......
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline Juinor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:56 PM »
Take a look at the pak shack,some poeple love them and some people hate them but it will fit in your trunk and is portable and not very expensive.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:00 AM »
I have a shappell 5000 hub style shanty.  It folds down into a nice carrying pack, is light weight, and easy to set up.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:08 AM »
i have the shappell hub 6000 light weight and anchored down the wind is no problem  only like 24 lbs or something like that
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:49 AM »
spend the money and get a flipover shanty of some kind. I started with a tent and still have it but dont use it but 1 or 2 a season. There a pain in the butt 2 move, and i like runnnin an gunnin. As far as the pack shacks there junk dont waste ur money,they dont work to well if its very windy and ur by urself. thats my 2 cents.tightlines everyone :tipup:

Offline GT66PONY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I have a fish trap pro! Flip over and LOVE IT! I was on Loon lake all day yesterday, Super cold, Had to take my coat off. It got too hot with the heater. It holds all my gear,Lets me see bottom in shallow water.
   I am into customizing it, Lighter,more convenient. I like to move to find fish. you would have a problem putting it in a trunk of a car. I put mine an the back of a grand Cherokee jeep! Good luck, But buy what you want the first time. money well spent!!!
                                                        Gary

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:56 AM »
The killzones are similar to my icecube, shakedown. The advantage to them is the windows are bigger. That may not matter if you don't use tipups. The anchoring system is better on the icecube than the shappell and killzone but the material and poles are much better quality on the shappels. They seem more durable than my cube. For the way you fish I think the flipover is the way to go but I know room in that taurus is going to be an issue. I also don't think you could stand up in one. I like being able to stand up at will and still be warm. That's why I love the hub style tents. Combseys shappell is an awesome shack but would be a little more costly than my eastman. Sorry man I'm officially talking you in circles errr aaaa typing. Good luck making a decision. I say check them all out. Ignore all the "junk" talk and buy what suits you. You have no shack so my guess is you'll be happy either way you decide to go. 307 has most of them on the floor to check out.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:01 AM »
I started with a wooden box I built that I use pipes and trap that went around the hold box. Then I got single fish trap and found that I needed more room so I purchase a fish trap 2 which has more room and it easy to pull than the single. just my two cents.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Well shakedown I have a 3 man homemade, a 1 man Frabill Recon, a 2 man Clam Guide and a 4 man Clam Base Camp. If you want to fit it in the Taurus you might be better suited to the Base Camp style so it will fit in the car.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2010, 11:29 AM »

Vin
I bought the KILLZONE 4 person and set it up for a dry run last night. I though for sure I would be in garage awhile to set it up but honestly it was up and standing in 2 minutes from the case it came in. It was so easy to put up. Has velcro windows, one door and very roomy. I think it was well worth $159.00 including freight from MN.

Bob

:icefish: :tipup:
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Like slayer saiz, check them out at 307, the shapell rover1.0 might fit in the trunk but without closing it, not sure though, nice flip.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:39 PM »
If you only have a car, I'd say you need a popup tent style.
I'd had a flip, yes It's a bit quicker to just uncover it, remove some gear, & flip over, but not much.  I now use a 3 man hub/popup.  It's only 1-2 mins longer to setup, MUCH lighter as said above most are only 23-24 pounds.  Also MUCH smaller they fit into a carry bag which isn't much bigger than an auger without the handle.  They also have TONS more room inside, & average 1-2 hundred less.  All my gear fits into a jet sled jr.  I plow with my truck so the bed is full of sand bags, so I rarely use it for fishing, normally I take my gear in an Explorer, however when the weather is bad, I have my wife drive it to work, that only leaves me her Honda Civic, as soon as I'm done plowing I go fish, the gear fits on the back seat of the Civic without taking any out of the sled, only have to put the handle to the auger at an angle.
  If it fits in a civic I'm sure the Taurus would be fine.  As far as a brand on Ebay.... Don't know, right now though most places like Gander are selling them cheaper, Personally I'd stay with a mainstream brand.  Probably better & sharper auger anchor posts, better sewn seams, and tougher hubs & poles.
Good luck

Offline johnandmare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2010, 04:55 PM »
My husband and I jig, but no tip ups. However, that being said, even if you do use tip ups, the one we have would be good for you, and WE LOVE IT. We ordered the KillZone 4 person ice shanty, and back when we bought it, we also did the dry run, in our living room - simple, simple, simple. You take it out of the bag, which will fit in your trunk, and let the thing fall down, and then put an anchor in one coner and pull the top. Then you pull the 4 sides and voila, you have your wonderfully roomy shelter. We only use 2 other anchors besides the first one, and even on the windiest day, the thing is very stable. It has 4 windows, big triangular ones on each side, so you can see the tip ups. We bring all of our stuff except our sled in, lunch, tackle, stools we hang the clothes on the top rods, and we also have a Mr. Buddy Heater in case it's really cold out. You can stand up = John is 6'2" and he has room to spare. He even drills the holes with the hand auger after set up. It is the best $159 we've spent, and the shipping is FREE! Go to e-bay and buy one, you will not be sorry. As far as the clams, I can't see how anybody can be comfortable in that, you can only sit in one spot, yes, you can move around the ice, but so far, after 7 trips out with the KillZone, we have caught 15-30 fish each time, without having to move anywhere. Perfect size for the 2 of us and our gear, and still room to stand up and stretch if you need to.

That's just my 2 cents:)

Offline walleymaster96

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:59 PM »
you should ask coldbum he has a great one its light weight and lots of space to fish

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Only down side to the killzone I've seen were the ice anchors, and the grommets they go through. Very poor, get some better anchors and some parachute cord and anchor with the hub pulls. Works allot better.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Only down side to the killzone I've seen were the ice anchors, and the grommets they go through. Very poor, get some better anchors and some parachute cord and anchor with the hub pulls. Works allot better.

First off, thanks to everone who posted a response, I have a lot better idea what I am looiking for. Oletimer, I am not sure what you mean because I don't have much experience with shantys in the first place. That said, if there isn't too much of an expense to upgrade the problematic anchors (as prchslyr mentioned), it sounds like I still may be ahead of the game. It seems like the the hub style will fit better in my car than the pullovers. I actually do like the idea of having ample headroom, and the option to stand if I want. So far, all the way around, for the price, the Killzone seems the best deal for me. Unless it is junk (which I haven't heard anyone say) it seems like you cant go wrong. I don't skimp with many things that I count on lasting but as was mentioned, I have no kind of shelter now. Something that is decent and wont break the bank I am interested in. I am also interested in the idea of trying them out--even though that wont happen with the Killzone. I did try a HT Enterprise pullover in Honey's baitshop yesterday and really liked it. But, I think most of that brand has stuff that is not built to last.  Makes no sense to buy anything that is only going to last a season or two--even if it seems like a deal.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:00 PM »

First off, thanks to everone who posted a response, I have a lot better idea what I am looiking for. Oletimer, I am not sure what you mean because I don't have much experience with shantys in the first place. That said, if there isn't too much of an expense to upgrade the problematic anchors (as prchslyr mentioned), it sounds like I still may be ahead of the game. It seems like the the hub style will fit better in my car than the pullovers. I actually do like the idea of having ample headroom, and the option to stand if I want. So far, all the way around, for the price, the Killzone seems the best deal for me. Unless it is junk (which I haven't heard anyone say) it seems like you cant go wrong. I don't skimp with many things that I count on lasting but as was mentioned, I have no kind of shelter now. Something that is decent and wont break the bank I am interested in. I am also interested in the idea of trying them out--even though that wont happen with the Killzone. I did try a HT Enterprise pullover in Honey's baitshop yesterday and really liked it. But, I think most of that brand has stuff that is not built to last.  Makes no sense to buy anything that is only going to last a season or two--even if it seems like a deal.
shakedownstreet I will let you know how the KillZone works out this weekend out on Chautauqua lake. Big get together this weekend and there is an army going.  I will have my son and two other people. So I will test it for four people. The other person was correct that when set up you can stand up easily. I am 6.2 myself and I can stand up. He was also correct the windows are large in order to see the flags. Set up truthfully is a breeze.... It took 4 days from Mn to deliver to North Tonawanda. They ship Fed Ex.

Hope all this helped you...

Bob

:icefish: :tipup:
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Thanks Bob. I hope it works out. Hope you have a blast. I look forward to hearing your review.

Vin

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Eastman Outfitters 4 man Ice Cube. Wouldn't use anything else. I sleep out in mine. Only 19 lbs. Rolls up in a bag. Can't beat it. Pops up in 2 minutes, folds up in 5. I slept out the other night on Sacandaga, in -10 degree weather, winds gusting to 40 mph at times. With a Coleman -35 sleeping bag, Coleman cot, Mr. Heater Tough Buddy heater & 20 lbs. of propane, I was as snug as a bug in a rug. Light weight, when in it's bag, takes up little space, when set up, enough space for several men elbow to elbow fishing on a day trip or enough space for one man to camp out over night. Can't say enough good things about mine! Love it!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Yep. I think the survey says hub style. Just like Hardwaternubie, I'm partial to my cube. I've had it long enough that I can have it folded up and in the bag in less than a minute...I'm always running late when it's time to go. Also, it's likely you'll get two of those black tripod chairs with it.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:13 PM »
I think you're right, prchslyr. Most likely I will get a hub style. Seems to fit my needs to now, all the way around. Plus, I can use the workout to create that slimming affect I so desperately want! I figure 20lbs on my back, about 10 pounds of clothes (including my carhart coverall), pulling a small sled with my gear, and walking to wherever I am going will be a good amount of exersise indeed. I actually thought about the amount of work, time, money, and energy in ice fishing. It has to be a passion to do it as often as we do! I'm not complaining in the least. Just made me think as I was cleaning fish last night.

So a hub style seems like what I want. Now, it's a matter of which one. The eastmans I am seeing on ebay is a 2 man capacity. Should be fine for me, I like the extra room. I saw one that comes woth 2 chairs for about $159. However, the Killzones are cheaper, seem to be made with 600D material instead of 300, and I can get a 4 man that is about the same weight. By the time I make up my mind, there will be open water I think. JK. I want one soon.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:47 AM »
The ice screws on the Killzone are a little to fine a thread and a weaker metal. The grommets on the bottom flap are just in the light weight nylon, not reinforced. The only draw backs I have seen. The Eskimo has great stakes and a thicker flap with grommets to anchor, but of the two I've seen one the poles broke second use and the other a window cracked out the first use. For the money, the Killzone is a good deal. I've also seen the Eskimo on eBay for 159.00 with free shipping. Guess it would be down to if red or blue was the color of choice to me.

Offline zdake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Greenfield!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:16 AM »
If it weren't for the ford taurus and the economical part, I'd tell you to go get a shappell 2.0DX on a sled. I just picked one up this past summer and man it is awesome! But far from cheap and most likely won't fit in your car. I justified the price by saying with the money I save catching and eating my own fish, I can take grocery money and put it towards fishing!! Girlfriend doesn't understand my thinking. Anyway, good luck!  :tipup:
When the waters hard, so am I.

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:46 PM »
ZDAKE1, somehow, I kind of understand your thinking! I went to Fish307 today and one the the guys took out a shappel medium sled to my car for a test fit--to see if a Rover would fit in the Taurus. Negative. Anyway we tried, it wouldn't fit. Plus, he just brought out the sled bottom, with the height of the actual cover and materials, it definately wouldn't fit. Then, I tried one hub style (Shappell IH5000) in the store and it was way too small for me. Small opening; small ceiling; small all the way around. They had (2) IH 6000's left and the salesman demo-ed one out front. It was awesome. Set up really quick, lots of room, and moderately priced at $179. I almost took one of them on the spot but had to go to class. Plus, I wanted to see if I can get a better deal online. Came home to find out that there is no better deal and if they still have one, I'm gonna get it. While I'm at it, I am going to order a 2010 Nissan Titan, a trailer, a brand new Honda 4-Wheeler, a snowmobile, and a camper. If anyone can think of something I missed, let me know. Hell if anyone needs some extra gear also, let me know!!!!

"I knew this site was going to cost me money"

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Where there is a will there is a way! ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:24 PM »
ZDAKE1, somehow, I kind of understand your thinking! I went to Fish307 today and one the the guys took out a shappel medium sled to my car for a test fit--to see if a Rover would fit in the Taurus. Negative. Anyway we tried, it wouldn't fit. Plus, he just brought out the sled bottom, with the height of the actual cover and materials, it definately wouldn't fit. Then, I tried one hub style (Shappell IH5000) in the store and it was way too small for me. Small opening; small ceiling; small all the way around. They had (2) IH 6000's left and the salesman demo-ed one out front. It was awesome. Set up really quick, lots of room, and moderately priced at $179. I almost took one of them on the spot but had to go to class. Plus, I wanted to see if I can get a better deal online. Came home to find out that there is no better deal and if they still have one, I'm gonna get it. While I'm at it, I am going to order a 2010 Nissan Titan, a trailer, a brand new Honda 4-Wheeler, a snowmobile, and a camper. If anyone can think of something I missed, let me know. Hell if anyone needs some extra gear also, let me know!!!!

"I knew this site was going to cost me money"
Uh oh man! Before you know it you're going to be trying to find a way to beef up that next student loan, just for ice equipment. You're starting to rack up some fishing gear. It never ends man.

Offline fishon90

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GIT-ER-DONE
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I'll agree to that. When you think you've got it all or seen it all something comes along. You will never be to old or to young for an investment in ice equipment. Keep your eyes out this summer at yard sales, I've found some really good buys. You just have to thinh ICE all summer long. Have Fun and good luck fishing!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :icefish:
Mike

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Prchslyr, I try not to think about student loans too much. I don't even open my statements. Guess I'm hoping for a bailout. One can wish anyway..... But, back to why we are here, I commend the gentleman who mounted his ice shelter to the roof of his car a few entries ago. That is impressive! I can't say that I will go that route but it sure shows loyalty to the sport. Rockin! On that note, I will get a hub style and probably the Shappel if 307 still has the 6000 in stock when I go there. It was good advice to go there to try them out and see whats what. I was going to get a 2-man thinking it will still be plenty of room. But when I tried the IH5000 for myself, I could barely get into the thing. I am glad I just didnt click on the buy it now button on Ebay--with any purchase. At least I know what I want now. And, this will be the last big ice fishing purchase for this year anyway. Next year I may be married to a girl with a lot of money and an appetite for freshwater fish!

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Well, it's a done deal. Got a Shappell IH6000 today at 307. I tried to set it up in my livingroom. Mistake! It was hitting the ceiling and yes, I feel like a dork. I hope I didn't break one of the poles or bend anything. I had it upside down and every other way, trying to break it down. I got it broken down fine and back in the bag no problems. I want to try it out badly but I am not going out until the wind dies down some. The wind just makes everything harder, I can't deal. But, I am psyched about the new purchase! Thanks to all for your input.

Vin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.