Author Topic: Willow Slough  (Read 12395 times)

Offline tommy761

• IceShanty Rookie
Willow Slough
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:42 AM »
So how is the slough ice this week? Did anyone go Monday?

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Willow Slough
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:46 AM »
ice was good on the main lake sunday about 3 inches, should be even better now. good luckl
SSG Jake Penman
U.S. Army Recruiting Command

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:27 PM »
anyone looking to go wednesday that doesn't mind a partner?? want to get down there but never alone! if interested let me know or shoot me a PM! later on..
Got one goin'!

Offline crappiedon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:06 PM »
anyone looking to go wednesday that doesn't mind a partner?? want to get down there but never alone! if interested let me know or shoot me a PM! later on..
going in morning with son ,you are welcome to go out with us. leave-in 5:30 ,may do breakfast?

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Im thinking of hitting the slough wendsday..Im out of ft.wayne but Im visiting folks and IM in Monee IL right now. Is there any bait shops along Rt. 41  from crown point down..just wondering.....thanx for any info..if ya need a partner   let me know      Jim
Jim

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:36 PM »
bait shop at main entrance of slough headquarters and another one on 41 in schneider just south of river on east side of road unsure if still open
have heard there is one in lowell somewhere maybe call down around there id say
Got one goin'!

Offline littled62

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 219-670-9620
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 01:36 AM »
I think the one on 41 south of the river is closed down, was boarded up this summer.

Offline ss307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:14 AM »
WE WERE AT THE YESTERDAY 12-29 REAL SLOW BITE CAUGHT ABOUT 60 BUT ONLY ABOUT 20 WERE KEEPERS TWO NICE RED EARS THOUGH. A GOOD 5 INCHES OF ICE.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:08 AM »
THERE IS ANOTHER BAIT STORE IN MOROCCO, CANT REMEMBER THE NAME HEADQUARTERS WILL HOOK U UP.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:39 AM »
Just an FYI, you locals know it but theres 1 in Demotte on 10 s.e. of town-Eenigenburgs Blueberrys-not open early-I just try to go the day before.
Tom

Offline cohobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:02 AM »
Marvels is a bait supplier on 153rd avenue about 1/2 mile east of Holtz road, located on top of hill, all kinda of bait and tackle open monday thru sat from 7 am.

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:53 AM »
The bait store across from the entrance of the slough is open at 6 a.m. daily and the lady is usually a wealth of information on whats biting and where. if the lights are off and the door is locked knock on the door of the bar.
SSG Jake Penman
U.S. Army Recruiting Command

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:13 PM »
There is also a bait shop called Spencers on state road 114 on the south side of the road about half way through morocco. I don't know what he has for bait now, but 2 weeks ago they had beemoth, red spikes and mousies. Was up there for an hour today and got a few keepers. The least amount of ice we found was 5".
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Took home 40 between 2 of us, in 8 hrs. Had to really work for them. Ice was 5" at least in back!! C-ya. Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline crappiedon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:41 PM »
fished off birdhouse point and ice was only 3" to4" ,also open water to the s.w. be careful this weekend and be prepared to rescue someone else! went straight out to the reed edge and got skunked. cd.

Offline jeep03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Was at the slough yesterday,good 5 in. of ice.Caught a nice mess but had to keep moving.
Good luck

Offline Buckets

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Thanks for the reports.

Offline littled62

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 219-670-9620
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2009, 07:31 PM »
the bite was slow today, got there around 12 stayed till 4 got 5 keepers and about 10 dinks

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:06 PM »
I got a few from there this afternoon. The bigger ones were FULL of yellow grubs and some of the smaller ones had 2 or 3 grubs in them. I have heard some people say that they don't hurt anything and I am sure you can't taste them but there is no way I can enjoy a meal knowing that I am eating worms!

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Catch Photo Release is grub free.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Catch and release is fine for bass, but when i'm chasing gills it's more of a catch a eat thing.

Offline ss307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I HAVE BEEN FINDING THEM LITTLE WORMS IN THEM ALSO LAST WINTER TOO. I HAVEN'T SEEN THEM IN THE FISH I CATCH IN THE SUMMER THOUGH. I WON'T EAT THEM EITHER.

Offline BassmastrBen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • At a lake near You!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I was at the slough yesterday. Caught about 25 gills kept 18 between 7 and 9 in. Ice was 4-5in thick. And i got a small pike on a  tip up.

Offline YOGI-LA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2010, 12:13 PM »
I got a few from there this afternoon. The bigger ones were FULL of yellow grubs and some of the smaller ones had 2 or 3 grubs in them. I have heard some people say that they don't hurt anything and I am sure you can't taste them but there is no way I can enjoy a meal knowing that I am eating worms!

I am like you....NO WORMS for me...They May be the Fish main course but not mine...Are We eating the worms by Proxy anyway?

Stuff is not bad as long as it taste good and I don't SEE :o any foreign objects.. ;D ;D

Yogi

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:06 PM »
no GRUB GILLS for me either. Looks like it is worse than last year. Instead of worrying about a 25 grub gill limit maybe the DNR should eradicate the grub problem. You cant tell me that its healthy or ok to have grubs in your gills.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2010, 07:35 PM »
  Nice mess of gills Ben, I fished the Slough today it was SLOW!!!  Patrol road was dead. no action  I moved to the headquarters and got a few over there. I only fished till 11am.  I'm going back in the morning to try again.   
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline SmuckBuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:03 PM »
We have had this discussion about the grubs in fish in the past. So we are all on the same page the yellow worm is in its larval stage when it is in the fish. A heron or other fish eating bird then eats the fish where the "grub" continues to develope. It then swims out of the birds throat and finds an aquatic snail where it finnally multiplies. Once it is done with the snail it leaves and if the yellow worm doesn't find a fish within a few hours it dies. NOTE: This yellow worm is not harmful to humans and by cooking the fish the worm is destroyed the flavor of fish remains.

Yeah I still think its kind of gross to think about, but catching a mess of fish and throwing them away bc of a few worms is a big waste! If your fishing the slough and you think you may have some little buddies in your fish throw em back. Guys like me aren't afraid to clean and fry em.

Offline crappiedon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:49 PM »
been catching gills with worms I'm for years, just push them out with your fingernail and they pop right out .out of the 50 we caught Wednesday only had two worms. i think we fish for fish with worms ,don't we?...cd

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:17 PM »
If there is only a few I do remove them, its just when they are full that I don't. I have found that sometimes you can see black dots on the outside of the fish and I release those. I guess I didn't check the ones very good the other night.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:30 PM »
If there is only a few I do remove them, its just when they are full that I don't. I have found that sometimes you can see black dots on the outside of the fish and I release those. I guess I didn't check the ones very good the other night.
  I THINK THOSE WITH THE BLACK SPOTS ARE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF WORM THAT IS FOUND DUE TO HEAVY CONCENTRATIONS OF A WEED. THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD WHEN I WAS QUITE YOUNG ANYWAY AND I AM STICKING WITH IT UNTILL TOLD DIFFERENT. IMO A LITTLE BIT OF EXTRA PROTEIN NEVER HURTS THAT ARE HUNGRY ANYWAY.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.