Author Topic: Willow Slough  (Read 12396 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Willow Slough
« Reply #30 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:00 PM »
We have had this discussion about the grubs in fish in the past. So we are all on the same page the yellow worm is in its larval stage when it is in the fish. A heron or other fish eating bird then eats the fish where the "grub" continues to develope. It then swims out of the birds throat and finds an aquatic snail where it finnally multiplies. Once it is done with the snail it leaves and if the yellow worm doesn't find a fish within a few hours it dies. NOTE: This yellow worm is not harmful to humans and by cooking the fish the worm is destroyed the flavor of fish remains.

This is correct and at a place like willow slough that is very shallow, the fish have very few deeper water retreats.  This only helps the grub problem becuase the herons like the shallow water where they eat infected fish and then transmit more grubs to the water to infect snails.  I see more and more herons every year and they are a big part of problem.  I don't see the DNR or anyone else doing anything about it since the grubs are unsightly but can be eaten if cooked properly.

Offline YOGI-LA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:44 PM »
OK,

Sounds dumb but I have to... :'(

I have to ask this...Are the grubs in the fishes stomach or growing/ eating the fish flesh?

Thanks,

Yogi

Offline leedeerslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:07 AM »
just wonderin has any body been back at Mormon hill,and how you been doin? ???  :icefish:

Offline ArmyJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:41 AM »
heading to the slough in about an hour with a group of guys, 2 degrees and 15-20 mph winds, think it maybe time to get the shanty out of the rafters. see ya guys out there
SSG Jake Penman
U.S. Army Recruiting Command

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:33 AM »
have to ask this...Are the grubs in the fishes stomach or growing/ eating the fish flesh?
They are in the flesh. Who knows they may be in the stomach too.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Thinking plenty ice for me next weekend.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline heinidog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Bite was slow this morning kept 6 let 5 go. Fished sunrise till 9:30. Hope others did better

Offline SmuckBuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2010, 01:48 PM »
OK,

Sounds dumb but I have to... :'(

I have to ask this...Are the grubs in the fishes stomach or growing/ eating the fish flesh?

Thanks,

Yogi

I have never found them in their stomach personnaly, then again I just filet the meat off the bone. I don't dig through their guts :sick: LOL.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2010, 02:18 PM »
i have never found any in the stomachs and i almost ALWAYS dig thru the guts...at least 20% of the fish i clean.  we always wonder what they are eating and no better way than to match the hatch!  got on a hot crappie bite a couple of years ago when after disection. (had lookers all day and only enticed a few to bite.. )i found it was 100% baby gills in the main lake fish..
painted a couple gill colored flies and pounded them for the next week while others within feet struggled to put more than 2 or 3 on the ice..

but no grubs...  just minnows, scudds, caddis, bloodworms, young fish and some wierd little black bugs ;)
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline fishersofmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jesus Christ is lord
« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:38 PM »
i have never found any in the stomachs and i almost ALWAYS dig thru the guts...at least 20% of the fish i clean.  we always wonder what they are eating and no better way than to match the hatch!  got on a hot crappie bite a couple of years ago when after disection. (had lookers all day and only enticed a few to bite.. )i found it was 100% baby gills in the main lake fish..
painted a couple gill colored flies and pounded them for the next week while others within feet struggled to put more than 2 or 3 on the ice..

but no grubs...  just minnows, scudds, caddis, bloodworms, young fish and some wierd little black bugs ;)
my problem with grubs in the meat is these critters do urinate and have their own bowel movements....check out your waxworms if left in the same container for a while...it begins to smell like urine...because they do have alimentary systems just as we do...so even tho you may be able to pop them out, you still have their excrement to enjoy eating....and i just cant do it.....even though i'm a veterinarian, and should be used to this stuff, i cant eat em...if i see grubs in them...the little black things on outside of scales are harmless and dont bother me because i skin my panfish...i forget what they are but they are a parasite...i think a fluke but i forget exactly what they are...steve
Jesus said to be fishersofmen

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Gills were somewhat slow today (Saturday). They would come in spirts, catch a few then wait, catch a few then wait. Fished a good 8hrs and left with a few just shy of a limit. Kept on 7.5" or better. Very cold day also. Maybe goin back out in the morning....

Poorboy

Offline cooner2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:30 PM »
will be going in the morning with southside bob.  hopefully will have some pics from my new cam.

Offline cooner2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:17 PM »
01/03/10

me in the shanty

southside bob in the shanty

todays catch

on the ice in the shanty

caught about 40 kept 24 nice day on the ice

see you on the ice

jc

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Nice pics JC...  how do you like that hub shelter?  Looks like a great set up.  Wondered how often you moved it?

HD 

Offline Harley Hogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Gotta move to get the biguns...get up in them sticks.....nice pictures

Offline cooner2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:56 PM »
hog daddy the shelter belongs to southside and it is awesome, i have a fish trap pro but there isn't room for a buddy.  we moved 4 times before finding them then it was pretty decent action.

Offline SmuckBuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Nice catch fella's!

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:44 PM »
   Nice Mess of Sloughgills   :thumbsup:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline scuba268

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Skoal, Gills and Fried Potatos
« Reply #48 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:19 PM »
How thick is the ice now ?
Bruce

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:29 PM »
i had 7 inches of ice straight east of L-6 blind about 300-400 yards...
Got one goin'!

Offline ss307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:15 AM »
SAT. JAN. 2         MORNING AND AFTERNOON WAS SLOW BUT PICKED UP A LITTLE IN THE LATE AFTERNOON ENDED UP WITH 50 BUT IT TOOK ALL DAY SORTING THROUGH THE LITTLE GUYS A COUPLE NICE RED EARS IN THE MIX. ABOUT 200 GUYS OUT THERE THAT DAY.

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Was out on the Slough both Sat. and Sun. Limited out both days but you had to move to find bigger fish. Saturday looked like days of old on the Slough, Tent City. Amazing the amount of fish that body of water holds. Hope to have good ice til sometime in March.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2010, 09:10 AM »
Thanks for the report, seen some nice pics of slabs out of there this weekend.
Tom

Offline fatfish3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Any reports from the back of the lake heading there tuesday. would like to fish the back by the m blinds .

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Hey Guys I've never been to the "Slough" before and I'm going down this Friday. Any suggestions where to start. Is this a big body of water ? Thanks for any help-Glenn
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline bwca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:02 PM »
was on the back friday by mormon hill was cold and fishing was slow moved a few times and picked up few keepers 5 to 6 inches of ice.

Offline bwca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:04 PM »
 Any info on todays bite

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Was out today at BHP, didn't do any good near the ditch or by the grass. Moved about 75ft back out in the wide open and ended up with 18 keeper gills 7 1/2 to 8''. Will be back out on Wednesday, but in front seemed to be better, limited out Sat. and Sun.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline seabee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I've got it bad!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I heard today was kinda slow..But they were able to find a few. I will be out there tomorrow getting my limit.

Offline ss307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:56 AM »
HAVEN'T HEARD MANY GOOD REPORTS FROM ANYWHERE BUT THE FRONT.THERE WERE ABOUT 200 GUYS ON THE FRONT SAT. SOME GUYS CAME TO THE FRONT FROM THE BACK BECAUSE IT WAS SO SLOW THERE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.