The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Wich Jiffy to get???  (Read 5778 times)

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wich Jiffy to get???
« on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Hey fellow ice fishermen!!

I have a serious problem.  I'm ordering a new Jiffy auger and I went to order and got cold feet.

I was ordering, from Bass Pro Shop, the STX PRO 3 hp 10".  But having a closer look at Jiffy's website I noticed the have a sale on the Stealth STX  Tecumseh engine.

Not too sure on what model i want to get.  Can you guys help me out.

the old Tecumseh engine or the newly Jiffy engineered one..... ??

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Re: Wich Jiffy to get???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:05 PM »
If I were you I would bye a left over model.....New Jiffy's have plastic gears.....so like I said I'd go with last years left over or something used!!!

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:30 PM »
i'm thinking about it...

but the new jiffy doesn't have plastic gears.  maybe a plastic gear box but not the gears.

there's some pictures couple post down from this thread. they show the metal gears.

anyways i'm still sitting on the fence.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Just make sure you buy a white motored jiffey .JMO

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a new Jiffy... Chinese made engine, plastic gearbox that is reported to make a lot of noise.
Maybe I'm biased because I really DO NOT like Chinese made stuff in general.

I would go for the Tecumseh motor.. Does anyone know if it has the noisy plastic gearbox??

Offline IcePro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Have Fish House Will Travel"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2009, 06:35 AM »
Black, Yellow or White; it does make a difference for the engine. 

White = Model 30
Black = Legend
Yellow = STX PRO

The transmission on the 3500 series has the 15:1 transmission which has been used for the last 4 years with no problems (Composite case with all metal gears).
When the unit is used under load the gears are quite.

If you are looking for a 8" auger the 2500 series has the 12:1 transmission (Metal case with metal gears).

Any older Jiffy unit that has a 3hp Tecumseh engine used the 12:1 metal transmission case.

The newer Jiffy engines will run much better than the 3hp Tecumseh engines.

It must be ICE FISHING SEASON, my wife has increased my "Life Insurance Policy"

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Stealth STX  Tecumseh engine

if they have a good deal on the old model snap it up...they are a proven success

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:52 AM »
strikemaster or eskimo,first thing i'd do if i had a jiffy...sell it, old style or new you couldn't pay me to own a jiffy,especially now that the new jiffy's are chinese

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:00 AM »
I've had a Jiffy White Lightning for 3 years, no complaints ;D It's a great auger and very reliable IMO.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Thanks guys....but i still don't know what model to get.

the new STX Pro or the Stealth with a Tecumseh engine.....

it must be 3hp and 10 inch....

here's a question, since Tecumseh  are out of business...are parts hard to get for that engine if need be??

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:38 AM »
I would snatch up this auger ASAP.
http://www.jiffyonice.com/Ice-Drill-Specials.html

I know you can still get parts for the Tecumseh 4-stroke as I bought some parts the other week. The 2-stroke will probably be harder to get parts for but most of the parts can be bought on ebay or from an aftermarket supplier. The old Tecumseh 2hp and 3hp engines are proven solid and reliable. The may not be the lightest but they are built very solid. If you have trouble with one its usually carb related but you can either rebuild the carb or replace the carb. The Stealth/STX drill really rips through ice.

I think Jiffys new engines will probably be ok but I can see waiting untill there are more of them on the ice. If Jiffy would offer a 3 year warrenty (on everything) on the new 2500 and 3500 augers I think more people would buy them.

Offline IcePro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Have Fish House Will Travel"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I would go with the STX Pro.

The new 3500 STX Pro is lighter and the engine has more power and torque than the Tecumseh engine.

The auger on Jiffy’s web-sight is last years 3hp STX with the 3hp Tecumseh engine, the price is hard to beat.

The Tecumseh engines will still be covered under warranty and parts will be available for many years.  A person in Janesville, WI bought the parts and warranty division from Tecumseh.

It must be ICE FISHING SEASON, my wife has increased my "Life Insurance Policy"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:01 PM »
strikemaster or eskimo,first thing i'd do if i had a jiffy...sell it, old style or new you couldn't pay me to own a jiffy,especially now that the new jiffy's are chinese
I bet you think that the "German engineered" engine on the Strikemasters is 100% made in Germany don't you??? I'm still waiting to see proof of this.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I have a model 30 8" I bought 8 or 9 years ago new. I beat the ever living crap out of it and it does nothing but keep on cutting. I have changed the plugs once and never drained the gas . It has the tecumseh engine on it. I know nothing about the newer ones and doubt I will ever have to. They are loud and heavy but they are made well and I don't know about you but my ice fishing gear takes a beating and I would rather something that can take the beating than something that is a little easier to carry or quieter (which I don't understand I love the sound of the old jiffy ) . I put new blades on it at the very end of last year and it rips through the ice . I cut ALOT of holes every time out .

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2009, 01:44 AM »
done and done!

thanks everybody for your advice!

I'm getting the Stealth with the Tecumseh engine.

hope to get it soon as I've been on the ice for the past 4 weeks now. and we are the end of a deep freeze!  avareage day time high of -29 F. This has been going on for over a week now...  so the ice is nice and thick and the power auger will come in handy!

thanks guys and i'll report back when i get the auger and take it for a test drive.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:34 AM »
I bet you think that the "German engineered" engine on the Strikemasters is 100% made in Germany don't you??? I'm still waiting to see proof of this.
no it wouldn't suprise me a bit to find out that the solo motor parts were made in china,even if jiffy was 100% american and the others were made in china i still wouldn't buy a junk...i mean jiffy,i will say this though i do like the way they sound when people are trying to get them started in the mornin bap bap bap bugh...bap bap bap bugh...bap bap bap bugh  ;D

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:14 AM »
bap bap bap bugh...bap bap bap bugh...bap bap bap bugh  ;D
Never heard that noise ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:28 AM »
no it wouldn't suprise me a bit to find out that the solo motor parts were made in china,even if jiffy was 100% american and the others were made in china i still wouldn't buy a junk...i mean jiffy,i will say this though i do like the way they sound when people are trying to get them started in the mornin bap bap bap bugh...bap bap bap bugh...bap bap bap bugh  ;D
I have been using Jiffys for the last twenty years. I have never had a problem with them starting or running. I can start my 2hp stealth and lay it on the ice while it warms up a bit. Yup the 3hp does get a bit noisy and there is a learning curve for starting and maintaining a 2 stroke engine. I have been on the ice for over fifty years and I have noticed augers of all brands starting hard, quitting, not starting and drilling slow. I can remember last winter when I got on a small river and drilled five holes while a guy with a Strikemaster was trying to worry his way through the ice for his first hole. The same thing happened on a local lake. I drilled my holes while a guy was chewing away with his Strikemaster. If I didn't think it would have embarrassed him I would have offered to drill them for him. I was inside my dropdown house and had to listen to him chewing away for another 20 minutes. I didn't blame the brand of auger as I know you have to maintain your blades or they don't drill right. I have also seen Strikemasters that wouldn't start and when they did. they wouldn't keep running. I didn't blame the brand, I blamed the owner for lousy maintenance. I own a Jiffy, but I would buy a Strikemaster or Eskimo in a heart beat if there was a reason to, but I figure my Jiffy will outlast me. Maybe you need to place the blame where it belongs. Augers aren't stupid, but some people that own them are. I know people that can kill a new pickup in 50,000 miles and others that can get 250,000 miles out of one. Do I blame the brand of pickup or the owner. I also use a Vex. Rather than buy something else, I just kept it and learned how use it. It does everything I need it to do. I just had to learn how to interpret the reading. Have fun on the ice and stop by sometime. I'll show you how a Jiffy can run when properly maintained.  ;D ;)

I forgot to mention that my first power auger was a 2hp Eskimo and the engine blew a corner out of the block on about the twentieth hole that I drilled. It was still under warranty so they replaced the engine. The first engine didn't have caged bearings. I didn't run off about Eskimo augers being junk. I bought a Jiffy and the guy that bought the Eskimo is still drilling holes more than twenty years later. :woot: ;)2

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I have been using Jiffys for the last twenty years. I have never had a problem with them starting or running. I can start my 2hp stealth and lay it on the ice while it warms up a bit. Yup the 3hp does get a bit noisy and there is a learning curve for starting and maintaining a 2 stroke engine. I have been on the ice for over fifty years and I have noticed augers of all brands starting hard, quitting, not starting and drilling slow. I can remember last winter when I got on a small river and drilled five holes while a guy with a Strikemaster was trying to worry his way through the ice for his first hole. The same thing happened on a local lake. I drilled my holes while a guy was chewing away with his Strikemaster. If I didn't think it would have embarrassed him I would have offered to drill them for him. I was inside my dropdown house and had to listen to him chewing away for another 20 minutes. I didn't blame the brand of auger as I know you have to maintain your blades or they don't drill right. I have also seen Strikemasters that wouldn't start and when they did. they wouldn't keep running. I didn't blame the brand, I blamed the owner for lousy maintenance. I own a Jiffy, but I would buy a Strikemaster or Eskimo in a heart beat if there was a reason to, but I figure my Jiffy will outlast me. Maybe you need to place the blame where it belongs. Augers aren't stupid, but some people that own them are. I know people that can kill a new pickup in 50,000 miles and others that can get 250,000 miles out of one. Do I blame the brand of pickup or the owner. I also use a Vex. Rather than buy something else, I just kept it and learned how use it. It does everything I need it to do. I just had to learn how to interpret the reading. Have fun on the ice and stop by sometime. I'll show you how a Jiffy can run when properly maintained.  ;D ;)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:10 AM »
the solo engines componets are made in china if I remember right and assembled in germany, I did some research a while back I will try to find the articles and post them here if I can still find them, the solo engines overseas havent got the greatest reviews nobody reaving about them, they have been used on model air planes and outdoor power equipment for years and the only real good reviws I saw were for the airplanes :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:19 AM »
I had a friend that had a problem getting his jiffy to start.

After about 25 pulls on the start cord, he flipped the kill switch to "on" and it started on the 26th pull.  :whistle:

I have had my Jiffy for 7 years, without any problems.

Wiener

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Been there and done that.  :whistle: :-[

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I'm sitting here with my hand in the air, I'm guilty of this myself ;D

Offline ICE PIRATE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:28 PM »
 Buy a Cold Snap cover for your Jiffy Auger. Fast and hands free.
Ice pirate

Offline rowdyredneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2009, 09:35 PM »
I'm looking at the old model 2500 STX on Jiffy's website and it says "Demo". Is this a leftover store display model or something, or why do they give it that designation?

I bought the new model STX Pro and I'm not impressed at all...the gears broke before I ever got it out on the ice...it never drilled a single hole, only ran it for a few minutes at home. I wasn't aware that the engine was Chinese either until after I had bought it which makes me nervous since my experience with Chinese made stuff hasn't been good. I'm taking it back as soon as I can and I doubt I'll exchange it for another...I'd rather get something else or just get a refund and go back to my hand auger.

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:12 AM »
I'm looking at the old model 2500 STX on Jiffy's website and it says "Demo". Is this a leftover store display model or something, or why do they give it that designation?

I bought the new model STX Pro and I'm not impressed at all...the gears broke before I ever got it out on the ice...it never drilled a single hole, only ran it for a few minutes at home. I wasn't aware that the engine was Chinese either until after I had bought it which makes me nervous since my experience with Chinese made stuff hasn't been good. I'm taking it back as soon as I can and I doubt I'll exchange it for another...I'd rather get something else or just get a refund and go back to my hand auger.

that's too bad about your gears.

they are metal so how did you break them???  must of done something for it to break.  just starting the motor and letting her spin wont break the gears.  maybe the gear case broke....

but i really can't see how the gears on your auger broke....

can you clarify this for me!??

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:47 AM »
Good luck with the Stealth! I bought the same model last fall (10", 3hp tecumseh) and have been really impressed with it. After your first tank of gas, take the few minutes and tune the carb on a nice cold day and it'll run like a champ. Just pop the red caps off the adjusting screws and you need a small flat screw driver, plenty of posts on how to do it, or I can send you the settings I used to start. The one thing I'd invest in right away, an extension. Later in the season, once the ice gets thicker, by the time you're down at the bottom of the hole, the carb is sitting down in the ice chips and can suck a few in, auger starts running like a turd and blows white smoke everywhere. I also swamped it a few times when I didn't cut the throttle right away when I broke through, water came rushing up the hole and splashed all over the carb. More white smoke, a frozen throttle linkage and a bunch of work to get it started again.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline rowdyredneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2009, 12:40 PM »
that's too bad about your gears.

they are metal so how did you break them???  must of done something for it to break.  just starting the motor and letting her spin wont break the gears.  maybe the gear case broke....

but i really can't see how the gears on your auger broke....

can you clarify this for me!??
Gears or clutch I'm not sure. I bought it back in October, it sat in the shed until last weekend when I opened up the box. I wanted to get it running before I took it out for the first time, so I mixed up some gas and started it up. The engine ran fine but I noticed a growling noise coming from the gear box, which as I understand is normal with these augers...but the shaft was turning and continued until I shut it off. I put it back in the shed, next morning I loaded it up in the back of my truck and went to the river. Out on the ice I started it and let it warm up, hit the throttle and nothing. The engine winds up to full throttle but the shaft doesn't make the slightest movement. I can hear a jingling/clanging noise coming from the gear box and that's all it will do, never drilled a single hole. I hope to return it this weekend and get a refund, I don't have much faith in exchanging it for an identical model.

Offline Forester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if the noise everyone is hearing is the Clutch and not the gears. Listening to my auger it defiantly sounds like it is the Clutch. I'm not sure if it is normal or not for a clutch to "Break-in" or not either. Anyone have any input?

Offline rowdyredneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:29 PM »
I can't seem to edit my post above, but I just wanted to add that I did nothing unusual to my auger. I even held the point off the ground while I was running it at home to prevent damage, and I was careful handling it when putting it in the bed of my truck and removing it. Whatever happened was a defect...I'm almost tempted to take it apart and take pictures and post them here for reference because I'm also curious as to what happened.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.