The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Wich Jiffy to get???  (Read 5777 times)

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Wich Jiffy to get???
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Sounds to me like your clutch came apart inside the gearbox, not sure exactly how it's put together but a loose nut, broken circlip or cross pin would cause the outer bell to fall down, preventing the shoes from contacting it, maybe even letting them fall off their mounts. There isn't much you can do to destroy the clutch, other than jam the bit, pin the throttle and let 'er buck, but even that would take a while to burn it out. My money is on a defect when the clutch or gearbox was assembled. Hope it works out for you.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:45 PM »
So it finaly came!!!

I got my new Jiffy 3500 Series STX PRO II.  This thing is massive!!!  I got the 10 inch model!!

Yeah it's a beast of an auger, can't wait for the weekend going after some big walleye!!!

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I've got a stealth STX. They're good augers, you just gotta let them warm up before you use them. This means starting them and then letting them idle for about 20 seconds or so. The nice thing about it is it will run and not die at idle so you can start it and let it set for a bit without babying the throttle.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:10 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if the noise everyone is hearing is the Clutch and not the gears. Listening to my auger it defiantly sounds like it is the Clutch. I'm not sure if it is normal or not for a clutch to "Break-in" or not either. Anyone have any input?

If a clutch is contacting the drum enough to make noise and engage at idle there is a problem. Some clutches may lightly touch the drum but not enough to make it spin at idle when theres a load on the drum. Centrifical force is what engages the clutch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.