Author Topic: ice fishing in elkhart!!!!!!!  (Read 15162 times)

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice fishing in elkhart!!!!!!!
« on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:36 AM »
the channels on simonton are rdy if you want to venture out on it. i measured 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 inches of ice.. so im going to hit up midway bait and tackle n head back out in warmer clothes....

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: ice fishing in elkhart!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Good to hear..............Than ks for sharing
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:05 PM »
good luck and make sure to post some pics!!!!!!!

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Are you talking about the channels off of C.R. 11 on the far east side?  How do you get out there, do you have to know someone?  Also, any report as to how you did?

Offline bluegillpeffley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:07 PM »
How deep is it when you fall in ?????

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:13 AM »
well i never made it back out there yesterday. but wen i went there the first i caught 3 red tht were 9 inches.. i know there are bigger ones in there... but today ill take pictures and try to put them on here this weekend... hope to see you guys out there with me...

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I was told to be carefull of springs in the lake, any info on this?

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2009, 01:14 PM »
well idk of where the springs are located in the channels.. i havent had any problems with springs yet. lol. but the best color for the huge red ears have been a friskars size 4 golden ant... but i have seen a few crappie and a nice walleye caught this weekend.

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009, 04:07 PM »
how much ice is there now? I know there is springs in there some of those channels never freeze. Can you still park in that empty lot and walk on? I know where you walk on the ice is always thinner there. you are sure right about those red ears out of there they are huge

Offline RonSki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:25 AM »
well idk of where the springs are located in the channels.. i havent had any problems with springs yet. lol. but the best color for the huge red ears have been a friskars size 4 golden ant... but i have seen a few crappie and a nice walleye caught this weekend.

Hey, that was my Dad who caught that walleye! At least it is if you're talking about Saturday morning. I was the one with the Jet Sled, got a dozen or so...

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2009, 03:53 PM »
how much ice is there now? I know there is springs in there some of those channels never freeze. Can you still park in that empty lot and walk on? I know where you walk on the ice is always thinner there. you are sure right about those red ears out of there they are huge

well sunday wen i was there in the rain there was atleast 4 1/2 inches i havent been out since then.. n yep we all still park in that lot. but yeah those red r amazingly huge. i only got 2 reds n 8 sunfish on sun. so it was an ok day.. jus alot of moving around unlike on sat.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2009, 03:55 PM »
  Hey, that was my Dad who caught that walleye! At least it is if you're talking about Saturday morning. I was the one with the Jet Sled, got a dozen or so...

yep who i was talking about. i am the one with 2 person eastman shanty. im the guy with red hair prolly easiest to recognize..lol. im hopin to hit the lake one day after work since i work 3rds.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2009, 04:11 PM »
yep who i was talking about. i am the one with 2 person eastman shanty. im the guy with red hair prolly easiest to recognize..lol. im hopin to hit the lake one day after work since i work 3rds.

Can you keep us updated on the Simonton ice thickness? I got out Saturday evening and didn't catch a thing but I'm okay with that because I was at least on the ice!!! I'd like to hit it again real soon!

Offline mschma000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Were you out there today?

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:57 AM »
Can you keep us updated on the Simonton ice thickness? I got out Saturday evening and didn't catch a thing but I'm okay with that because I was at least on the ice!!! I'd like to hit it again real soon!

yea ill try i dont know how much ill get out there once my son is born but im still gunna try to sneak out onto the ice...

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:01 AM »

yea ill try i dont know how much ill get out there once my son is born but im still gunna try to sneak out onto the ice...

Well early congrats are certainly in order. And isn't it incredibly understanding for your wife to get you a future fishing buddy for Christmas this year. That's even better than a vex!!!

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:08 AM »
Well early congrats are certainly in order. And isn't it incredibly understanding for your wife to get you a future fishing buddy for Christmas this year. That's even better than a vex!!!

i say hell yea its awsome... im goin to show him the ropes.. hes goin to love salmon season and being on the ice... he was due last sat the 12 so hes a lil over due now lol..

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I have a 18 month girl and i keep telling my wife that she is going to do everything that i do. Ice fishing will be the first thing i take her out to do then it will be duck hunting i know she will love that. When ever i bring home ducks or fish she always wants to touch them which is cool with me.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:56 PM »
I have a 18 month girl and i keep telling my wife that she is going to do everything that i do. Ice fishing will be the first thing i take her out to do then it will be duck hunting i know she will love that. When ever i bring home ducks or fish she always wants to touch them which is cool with me.

My oldest daughter is 14 and my youngest is 12. They both will fish with me. The youngest and I make an annual trip to one of the local derbies. If you really want your little girl interested, make sure when she is a little older that you buy her her own rod and reel for ice fishing. You'll rarely get to go without her after that!

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:38 PM »
My oldest daughter is 14 and my youngest is 12. They both will fish with me. The youngest and I make an annual trip to one of the local derbies. If you really want your little girl interested, make sure when she is a little older that you buy her her own rod and reel for ice fishing. You'll rarely get to go without her after that!
\

i must be a lil early them i alreay got my son a rod and reel and he isnt born yet lol.....thats an idea put a spring on the end of the spiderman pole n 2lb test n wala another ice rod lol.... the possibilities.. well i think i need to go fishing tomorrow morning wen i get off work...

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Are you wearing tennies prosalmonking holy smokes man lol.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Are you wearing tennies prosalmonking holy smokes man lol.
no no no yeah right thats my wife brother... it was his first time out. lol he wish he had sum boots like mine lol......i was warm n he was frozen by the time i left that day.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2009, 06:07 AM »
has ne one gotten a chance to hit the channels lately. im just wondering how the bite is goin.

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2009, 02:55 PM »
I'd like to hit that on Sunday.  What area are you parking at to get to the channels?  The only parking I know of is off of CR4 where the boat launch is.  Is there another lot somewhere?

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:03 PM »
I'd like to hit that on Sunday.  What area are you parking at to get to the channels?  The only parking I know of is off of CR4 where the boat launch is.  Is there another lot somewhere?

yea if u take cr 4 all the way past the boat launch to cr 11 turn left on cr 11 go down that road past the simonton lake sportsman club ull see the channels on your left and turn in there park down on the end by the houses in the open lot. we will be able to fish that spot until its filled with houses..

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Sweet.  Thanks for the info!  Did you get out to check on it today or no?  I'm sure more ice was made with all these cold nights we've been having.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:35 PM »
I walked on it this afternoon. My 300+ lbs made the ice crack a little but it was pretty solid. There weren't any open hole so I couldn't tell the thickness but I'd guess it's over 3". There were a lot of fresh boot and sled tracks on there.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Sweet.  Thanks for the info!  Did you get out to check on it today or no?  I'm sure more ice was made with all these cold nights we've been having.

nope i wish i could have gone.. lol. im at the hospital waitin for my son to be born.. so hopefully i can get out soon. i need to see some fish come out the hole.

Offline JLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2009, 08:43 PM »

fished simonton today. started in the channels and didnt do well. moved to other end, walked off public access and went to the west, about 6 ft of water, hammered them all day. gills 7-9", perch 9-11"!

Offline JLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2009, 08:49 PM »
not sure how to post pic, i tried, otherwise i would

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.