Author Topic: ice fishing in elkhart!!!!!!!  (Read 15161 times)

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice fishing in elkhart!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Sweet! How thick was the ice in the channels and over by the public access?  I might try it out tomorrow if it is thick enough for me.

Offline JLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:41 PM »
in the channels about 4". when i walked on the public access i got similar ice, but when i went to the mouth of the big part of the lake, it was actually 5"-6"! i was really surprised myself. good luck if you go!

Offline RonSki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:05 PM »
  I would be EXTREMELY careful walking out to the main lake right now. It has been frozen over in front of the access for a while but the main lake (west side) was open water on Wednesday. It might have gotten thicker as you went out, but trust me, there IS less ice out there once you reach the dropoff.  I've been watching it frequently and I wouldn't trust walking out to the dropoff yet, especially now with the snow and somewhat milder temps. Just be careful, it didn't all freeze at the same time....

Offline JLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:33 AM »
 Oh no i didnt go on the main lake, i wouldnt! I went out in front of the...... i think second to last house on the south side just before you get on the  big lake. had one guy venture out past us almost to the big part, but he didnt catch much.

Offline $$HardwaterJunki$$

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:57 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

fished simonton today. started in the channels and didnt do well. moved to other end, walked off public access and went to the west, about 6 ft of water, hammered them all day. gills 7-9", perch 9-11"! I fished same spot to the west for a few hours didn't get a thing, what are you using for bait? Also went out a lil ways past the houses on to the main lake had close to 8'' of ice I did not go all the way to where it starts to get deep though

Offline JLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:56 AM »
I was using mousies on a chartruse jig, real small.

Offline djruger357

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2009, 02:59 PM »
i am curious to where i can park my vehicle and get on the part by SR19. i always see people fishing there but all the signs say no parking. i beleive its close to a little restaurant. anyinput would be great bc i fished the channels on sunday and it was horrible very slow only three keepers and bout twenty guppies!

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Well, you could always park at the restaurant lol.  But seriously, I think there is a parking lot across the street from the restaurant that sometimes people park at and fish in the summer out there.  You might try that in the winter as well.  Or, I think I remember hearing at some point about being able to pull up on the side of the road and parking by the restaurant too.  From what I recall though, it is limited spacing on a little gravel patch.  GL to you! And let me know if any of those are correct.

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Well, you could always park at the restaurant lol.  But seriously, I think there is a parking lot across the street from the restaurant that sometimes people park at and fish in the summer out there.  You might try that in the winter as well.  Or, I think I remember hearing at some point about being able to pull up on the side of the road and parking by the restaurant too.  From what I recall though, it is limited spacing on a little gravel patch.  GL to you! And let me know if any of those are correct.

I had a picture in my mind of two guys running, carrying a shanty and gear, wearing Arctic Armour suits, Mickey Mouse boots, trying to dodge cars and cross 19 all at the same time.  Had to laugh!  Seriously, I may have to try that.  That may be the only way to get on over there.

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 24, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Yup, bad as it sounds, I do believe it would be funny as hell to see lol.

I'll be out there either Saturday or Sunday.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:37 AM »
well how does the ice look after this rain.. i am wantin to go out in the morning..

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2009, 07:02 AM »
For the lakes/channels that had 4 inches of ice on them, everything will be fine.  The night time temps are supposed to drop down in the 20's and that will keep things tight.  Don't take my advise though.  Be very careful and stay dry.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 25, 2009, 07:11 AM »
My oldest daughter is 14 and my youngest is 12. They both will fish with me. The youngest and I make an annual trip to one of the local derbies. If you really want your little girl interested, make sure when she is a little older that you buy her her own rod and reel for ice fishing. You'll rarely get to go without her after that!
   i have 2 girls how old do you recemend before you take them out i really want them to enjoy fishing they are 2&5 right now any advise would  be appreciated :tipup:

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:05 AM »
   i have 2 girls how old do you recemend before you take them out i really want them to enjoy fishing they are 2&5 right now any advise would  be appreciated :tipup:

Right now I would not even consider taking young kids on the ice.  After this rain and wind, I would not take any kids on the ice that have not been out there many times before.  My son is 16 and has been ice fishing with me for 5 years.  He has his own picks, can swim and I have confidence that if he went in, he could get out.  With kids ages 2 and 5 I would leave them home until the ice is better.  When you do get better ice, try to find a good bite (even if they are dinks) to keep them busy and interested.  Also don't plan on staying out too long as they will likely lose interest even if they are catching fish.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 25, 2009, 02:00 PM »

The 5 year old is old enough. Some tips to consider are you want to make sure they are as comfortable as possible. Shanty fishing is best for that age. Make sure to bring a small pack of kleenex. Plan on heading back home after about an hour to an hour and a half. The key is to focus on the most fun with the least effort the first few times out. Stick to the shallow water where the little ones will swarm your bait. Kids like catching at first and they learn patience over time.

As the kids get older and more expeirenced, then you start to introduce more effort and fewer but bigger fish. My daughters love to bait their own hooks, and now they think it's cool to pull the shanty/sled for dear ol' Dad.

Now my girls will go with me and we have a blast whether they bite or not. That's our time to just sit and talk about why no boys are good enough for them and so on...

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:04 PM »
well im gunna try it in the mornin so i hope to see a few of ya out there... hopefully ill catch a few lol....

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 25, 2009, 09:45 PM »
well im gunna try it in the mornin so i hope to see a few of ya out there... hopefully ill catch a few lol....

My buddy and I will probably see you there. We're gonna give it a try. Don't be afraid to say 'Hi'. I have a Shappell DX3000. Are you bringing the baby tomorrow or is it a little too soon yet?

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:10 PM »
My buddy and I will probably see you there. We're gonna give it a try. Don't be afraid to say 'Hi'. I have a Shappell DX3000. Are you bringing the baby tomorrow or is it a little too soon yet?

lol only if i could.... i would most definitally do it. but u can see my shanty in the pic lol.. so if u see me holler we need to find these red ears and toss them on the ice.. i am goin to try and be there by 830-9 in the morning.. n my damn spike r coonin up on me n im pissed they shoudlnt be doin that yet...so the red ears best bite lol..

Offline JLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:45 PM »
if anyone could give an ice report on simonton after all this rain it would be appreciated. really curious about ice over by the public access. hope everyone had a great christmas and good luck to all!

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Right now I would not even consider taking young kids on the ice.  After this rain and wind, I would not take any kids on the ice that have not been out there many times before.  My son is 16 and has been ice fishing with me for 5 years.  He has his own picks, can swim and I have confidence that if he went in, he could get out.  With kids ages 2 and 5 I would leave them home until the ice is better.  When you do get better ice, try to find a good bite (even if they are dinks) to keep them busy and interested.  Also don't plan on staying out too long as they will likely lose interest even if they are catching fish.
thanks for the advise

Offline bradmoun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:42 AM »
The 5 year old is old enough. Some tips to consider are you want to make sure they are as comfortable as possible. Shanty fishing is best for that age. Make sure to bring a small pack of kleenex. Plan on heading back home after about an hour to an hour and a half. The key is to focus on the most fun with the least effort the first few times out. Stick to the shallow water where the little ones will swarm your bait. Kids like catching at first and they learn patience over time.

As the kids get older and more expeirenced, then you start to introduce more effort and fewer but bigger fish. My daughters love to bait their own hooks, and now they think it's cool to pull the shanty/sled for dear ol' Dad.

Now my girls will go with me and we have a blast whether they bite or not. That's our time to just sit and talk about why no boys are good enough for them and so on...
thanks for the advise

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 26, 2009, 01:08 PM »
if anyone could give an ice report on simonton after all this rain it would be appreciated. really curious about ice over by the public access. hope everyone had a great christmas and good luck to all!

its good off the boat ramp an from 6 to 9 inches on the lake out to the point n the channels r at 5.... so ice is good fishing sucked today i only got a dink and a sm perch

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 26, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Have you tried ice flies on Simonton?  I make some and sell them to the local bait shops and Midway is one of the places I sell them to.  The new pattern I came up with seems to work very well in just about all different colors too.  I don't ever bait the hook, just constantly keep slowly jigging and the fish usually can't resist them.  I say usually, because we all know there are some days the fish just won't eat ANYTHING!  

ive tried sum my buddy makes n got nothin on them but they work great for me on panner. jus not for me on simonton..

Offline JLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 26, 2009, 03:47 PM »
its good off the boat ramp an from 6 to 9 inches on the lake out to the point n the channels r at 5.... so ice is good fishing sucked today i only got a dink and a sm perch

thanks alot! hope to be out there soon. good luck!

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:07 PM »

Oh! Way to go Pro!!! I was gonna tell them it was 2" of butt puckering foamy white ice...  ;)2 I guess since there weren't any fish there, it's safe to tell. ;D

Funny thing is, when I got back home I found my camera battery cord lying in my driveway. Hopefully next time I'll be a little more thorough when i put my stuff in the truck.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Oh! Way to go Pro!!! I was gonna tell them it was 2" of butt puckering foamy white ice...  ;)2 I guess since there weren't any fish there, it's safe to tell. ;D

Funny thing is, when I got back home I found my camera battery cord lying in my driveway. Hopefully next time I'll be a little more thorough when i put my stuff in the truck.
lol i say let them waste there time lol we did. n ur lucky u didnt run it over cause that would of sucked. u would of had a nice paper weight if u had lol. but idk this weather i feel screwed up the fishing. :'(

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:41 PM »
6-9"?  Wow.  I didn't expect that.  How was the walk onto the ice?  Slushy at all?  I will be going out in the morning if it is that thick.  Anyone else going?

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:48 PM »
6-9"?  Wow.  I didn't expect that.  How was the walk onto the ice?  Slushy at all?  I will be going out in the morning if it is that thick.  Anyone else going?

Rock solid! Pure black ice underneath about a half inch of snow. Make sure you bring your cleats.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Rock solid! Pure black ice underneath about a half inch of snow. Make sure you bring your cleats.

yep make sure u bring those cleats i had to borrow a pair lol.. no sore ass tonight. n its rock hard make sure ur not to tired to drill holes or bring a power auger with extra batteries.. ull need them...i wasnt expectin it to be this thick until mid jan..

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:00 PM »
was hoping for a 6" lazer for christmas, but no go.  I'm gonna buy one for myself though.  So for now ill keep using my 8" mora.  I just sharpened my blades before I got on here, so I should be good for tomorrow.  Man, that makes me happy.  I think I might even get the shanty out!!!

Got a ton of new flies from a friend of a friend to try out.  Hopefully they are biting!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.