The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: If you haven't tried to start the sleds yet......  (Read 13826 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: If you haven't tried to start the sleds yet......
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:17 AM »
maybe it was the reg. stabil they were talking about then.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2009, 11:10 AM »
maybe it was the reg. stabil they were talking about then.

I think that's the case jacksmelt.  Although I stored mine with marine stabil and still have issues.  It's a crap shoot for sure. :-\

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I had the kids 120 out a couple of weeks ago when we got that small snow storm. I used the regular stabil in it last year. befor i started it i pulled up the hood to take a look at the gas. it has a clear plastic tank and i saw that the gas had seperated into 3 layers. on the bottom was water then gas then i am guessing the stabil on top. there was a 1/4" of water on the bottom. I would not have belived it but i remember putting the last tank of gas in it last year and it didn't have any water in it.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I don't know if every Canadian Province is the same but here in Manitoba we have alcohol in our gas too, so don't generalize that Canadian gas is all good.

But some things I have learned from burnt engines are to fog the engine at the end of the season, this keeps the gaskets from drying out. To drain the fuel in the tank AND THE CARBS, old gas in the tank isn't good, but the gas in the carbs turn to varnish and plug the jets. On the Polaris I have now there are hoses running out of the drain plug on the float bowl of the carb with little plugs in the ends, I just have to pull the plugs for the summer and all the gas runs out and the carbs are dry for the summer. When I want to start it up, I just pop them back in and pull until it starts. I use to clean my carbs before I would even try to start my sled, it probably would start, but once you open it up it will go lean and seize-up.

So even real gas turns to varnish, so drain your carbs at the end of the season, and clean your carb if you didn't drain your gas.

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:38 PM »
 I use to have problems with sleds I use seafoam .It works thats all I have to know.

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:58 PM »
This ice fishing is alot like CRACK. I'm so addicted Ive been starting the auger and the snowmobile at least once a week since September. I was even riding the sled around last weekend it was about 60 degrees here

Unfortunately for your wallet and or wife at least there is a cure for Crack, Thus far no one has found a cure for fishing. This past summer the offshore tuna bug bit me, talk about expensive I could buy a brand new top of the line Jiffy with the money I spend just to LINE my two reels.  Tight lines and at least you wont die in the back of an ally passed out from Fishing  ;D

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:54 PM »

It's easy to test fuel for ethanol.  Pour about 1/2 inch of water in a clear bottle.  Fill half way with gasoline.  Mark where the water and gas separate.  Shake until the gas and water turn into a foamy mess.  Let the water settle to the bottom.  If the water/fuel separation line is in the same place there is no alcohol in the gas. If there appears to be more water than when you started the fuel has ethanol.  This is phase separation.  The alcohol moves from the gas to the water.

That is so cool. :o 8) :clap:
I fish.                                                         

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2009, 06:56 PM »
so why couldn't you do this ^ to a small(5gallon) clear gas can and then syphon off the good DE-alcoholed gas for your power equipment? just wondering if that would work?

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:48 PM »
It wouldn't work.  If you remove the alcohol from E-10 it won't have enough dissolved oxygen.  The alcohol is an oxygenator.  Traditional gas had different additives to supply dissolved oxygen.  When they started adding alcohol they stopped using the other oxygenators. 

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:15 AM »
It wouldn't work.  If you remove the alcohol from E-10 it won't have enough dissolved oxygen.  The alcohol is an oxygenator.  Traditional gas had different additives to supply dissolved oxygen.  When they started adding alcohol they stopped using the other oxygenators. 
just lovely!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2009, 08:43 AM »
gimmie back good ol MTBE !!!!!dam tree huggers!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 03, 2009, 03:18 PM »
That airplane fuel is 105 octane . Got to love it . Everything runs better with it. 8)
I know i love it! Run it in just about everything, sled, auger, wheeler. The best part is that it doesn't stink like normal gas. Kinda has a nice odor to it :P
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 03, 2009, 10:03 PM »
I know i love it! Run it in just about everything, sled, auger, wheeler. The best part is that it doesn't stink like normal gas. Kinda has a nice odor to it :P
   Might be a nice odor; But, I had a buddy that fried his 200hp Merc. W/ the Av. gas . ::).....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:54 AM »
I put both of my sleds away last spring full of gas and a double dose of Marine Stabil. 92 Yamaha started right up like a champ as always (can't kill that old sled). 06 Cat needed battery charge and did not start easy but did eventually start. I let both idle for about 30 min. Going to tackle the old Jiffy today!

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:41 PM »
We got our sleds started. ;D The Touring started up great but the Skandic took a little while.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2009, 04:19 PM »
took the '06 ski doo expedition out in the field and cleaned her out. started right up. same w/ the jiffy. i guess the startron did the trick. now its to find some more to keep it treated.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:09 PM »
I put both of my sleds away last spring full of gas and a double dose of Marine Stabil. 92 Yamaha started right up like a champ as always (can't kill that old sled). 06 Cat needed battery charge and did not start easy but did eventually start. I let both idle for about 30 min. Going to tackle the old Jiffy today!

Be carful letting a liquid cooled sled idle for to long, They need snow thrown up on the dusipators to keep them from overheating...

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Be carful letting a liquid cooled sled idle for to long, They need snow thrown up on the dusipators to keep them from overheating...

Both fan cooled

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Both fan cooled
Cool, I know a guy that did that and cooked his new sled. Not good.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Cool, I know a guy that did that and cooked his new sled. Not good.

Im not a big on fan cooled sleds..But that all I could afford..lol

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2009, 05:03 AM »
Fan cooled = less headaches     ;)

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Fan cooled = less headaches     ;)
That's what I got. Can't wait to rip across the ice! Getting a tune up right now! ;D
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:50 AM »
That's what I got. Can't wait to rip across the ice! Getting a tune up right now! ;D
Ya get a new sled Rich?

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 06, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Ya get a new sled Rich?
Still got the old Yamaha. Letting Jmayo work his magic on it for a change. Sure like the elec start it's got. New track and windsheild few more piks and she should be good to go! ;D

Offline pfd168

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Living the Dream !
« Reply #54 on: Dec 06, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I put the stabilizer in mine last year and have been starting it all summer off and on. I haven't had any issues so far.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #55 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:02 PM »
That airplane fuel is 105 octane . Got to love it . Everything runs better with it. 8)
You dont wanna run the 105- they have two versions -ya wanna run the 85 octane, that`s what I was paying $4.80 /gal for. Using the 105 is asking for trouble like...
  Might be a nice odor; But, I had a buddy that fried his 200hp Merc. W/ the Av. gas . ::).....Lou
I have to add a word of caution on the Avgas.  I used it years ago and in short order blew a new 200 hp high performance Merc.  The
Avgas has way too much octane for normal applications, and the sleds/outboards are NOT designed for it.  If you use it your machine will
fly, and run superb until you burn the rings right out of it.
Absolutely right if using the higher octane rated 105 -You must use the lower octane -85 -Outboards and Sleds are not meant to be running 105 octane unless they are built for high-output racing only-Full throttle applications that run for short periods and then shut down. We all leave our boats, atvs and sleds idling all the time, especially when it is frigid.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Bearcat started right up with about half a pull! When i put it away last spring all I did is drain the gas and fog the carburetor. About a week ago  i put some fresh high test in it primed it half a dozen times, gave it about half a pull and it started right up and stayed running.  :)
Never Give Up!

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Still got the old Yamaha. Letting Jmayo work his magic on it for a change. Sure like the elec start it's got. New track and windsheild few more piks and she should be good to go! ;D
So much for that dream! Guess she will be down for a bit. Bearings and seals. Still got a while before it's safe on the ice with a sled anyway. :-\ 

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #58 on: Dec 12, 2009, 01:03 PM »
You dont wanna run the 105- they have two versions -ya wanna run the 85 octane, that`s what I was paying $4.80 /gal for. Using the 105 is asking for trouble like... Absolutely right if using the higher octane rated 105 -You must use the lower octane -85 -Outboards and Sleds are not meant to be running 105 octane unless they are built for high-output racing only-Full throttle applications that run for short periods and then shut down. We all leave our boats, atvs and sleds idling all the time, especially when it is frigid.

i was under the impression that the higher the octane the cooler it ran and the harder to ignight the fuel.

i was told it'd be counterproductive in the horsepower world unless you had high enough compression to need to combat pre-ignition. we run 110 sunoco from 55 gallon drum in the racecar and it works great 11-1 compression and have raced for over 2 hours straight without issues.
the lower the octane you can run without melting the pistons the higher the hp's will be.

but that's race fuel i don't know if its the same as aviation fuel.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2009, 01:03 PM »
So much for that dream! Guess she will be down for a bit. Bearings and seals. Still got a while before it's safe on the ice with a sled anyway. :-\ 

Don't give up on the old Yammie Rich, John can rebuild her, better than she was...more able to leap tall buildings.....etc etc. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.