The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: If you haven't tried to start the sleds yet......  (Read 13828 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you haven't tried to start the sleds yet......
« on: Nov 22, 2009, 12:36 PM »
you may want to do so.  Went out this morning and tried to start our three, the only one that would run right was the 1989 sno scoot.  Other two are messed up with what I assume to be ethanol issues even though I summerized them just as reccommended. :%$#!:  Never had a problem with getting these sleds to start before this year.  So far, that makes one outboard and now two sleds for me...... >:(

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
Re: If you haven't tried to start the sleds yet......
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Started mine yesterday, it started on the 8th pull. I was some relieved as I was worried about the crap gas. All I did last year was add the blue marine stabil and parked it.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Started mine yesterday, it started on the 8th pull. I was some relieved as I was worried about the crap gas. All I did last year was add the blue marine stabil and parked it.
Swap out the gas. Important to get rid of Eth gas after a month of sitting, collects water. I get fuel for all my 2cycles auger etc.(outboard included), from the small plane airport. NO ETHanol. The stuff is crap, so they won`t allow it for use in small aircraft-causes vapor lock at high altitude and several other water collecting problems.After numerous crashes in small planes where ethanol was found to be the cause, it was outlawed for aviation use. My outboard(1978- 55hp bored over Johnson )was running like sheet off the eth-crap, refused to idle, surged, bogged , you name it, so I went to the airport and got fuel, mixed it up proper and wella, boats on plane faster, idles so well you could troll with it, and is responsive when ya put the boots to her. If you don`t use a lotta fuel cruisin yer sled , it might be worth lookin into. I paid $4.80/gallon and I filled my 17` Bassboats 2 6gallon tanks only 2 times this season for total of 24 gallons. Was worth it to me to know I was gonna get to my spots and back. Worth buying for your auger as well, mine is an old school 1977 Eskimo. Still rips up, the ice with the good fuel in it.

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:30 PM »
Started mine last week and ripped it up to the top of my driveway for a quick cleaning and a once over. I stored mine all summer with the Marine Stabil. The stuff worked great for me last year on my 2 lawn mowers, they ram great this summer. I'm sold on the stuff. I hope your issue is something easy.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Seems like its going to be hit or miss with equipment from now on. :(  Stored them full with marine stabil like every year before, never an issue.  Both are 2001 yamaha triples and both will start but not idle.  Very boggy, then die.  I know it's going to be a gas thing, they both are acting identical....this stuff sucks for sure.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:03 PM »
My sled is doing the exact same thing.
Maybe it's where we buy our gas???

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:33 PM »
My sled is doing the exact same thing.
Maybe it's where we buy our gas???

Not sure Mike, I buy mine on Oak St.  I think it's just the quaility of gas in general these days.  I'm going to syphon it out and add some new and try that first but with my luck, it can't be that easy.  :tipup:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:42 PM »
rumor has it  Irvings Hitest is ethonnol free   I dont know for a fact   just what was told to me
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Swap out the gas. Important to get rid of Eth gas after a month of sitting, collects water. I get fuel for all my 2cycles auger etc.(outboard included), from the small plane airport. NO ETHanol. The stuff is crap, so they won`t allow it for use in small aircraft-causes vapor lock at high altitude and several other water collecting problems.After numerous crashes in small planes where ethanol was found to be the cause, it was outlawed for aviation use. My outboard(1978- 55hp bored over Johnson )was running like sheet off the eth-crap, refused to idle, surged, bogged , you name it, so I went to the airport and got fuel, mixed it up proper and wella, boats on plane faster, idles so well you could troll with it, and is responsive when ya put the boots to her. If you don`t use a lotta fuel cruisin yer sled , it might be worth lookin into. I paid $4.80/gallon and I filled my 17` Bassboats 2 6gallon tanks only 2 times this season for total of 24 gallons. Was worth it to me to know I was gonna get to my spots and back. Worth buying for your auger as well, mine is an old school 1977 Eskimo. Still rips up, the ice with the good fuel in it.
Thanks for the tip, I live right next to the airport, so I'm gonna grab some gas for the auger, better be safe then sorry I guess.  :unsure:

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:56 PM »
This ice fishing is alot like CRACK. I'm so addicted Ive been starting the auger and the snowmobile at least once a week since September. I was even riding the sled around last weekend it was about 60 degrees here

Offline jmayo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:23 AM »
i know it costs more money but we have been having much better luck running super in all the outdoor power equipment. even most of my customers have switched and ave had less problems with there stuff also. and as far as the marine stabil you need to use it with each and every fill up. and remember you can not use to much of it i always double up on the amount used from what is recomended.

John 
>--^-(*>
John

a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:28 AM »
That airplane fuel is 105 octane . Got to love it . Everything runs better with it. 8)
How they biten

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:10 AM »
I put this in another post  but  fits here:

well all   I just got my sled going today   been a PITA   I stabilized it last year also ran Hitest in it  guess what    it didnt work  had to pull the carbs  and clean em good   Im about to go to canada  and get some good gas   stuff without the e 10   BTW  I used the stuff both marine grade stabilizer  and the enzime one too all last year   next year   gonna run it dry  and put canada gas in it to hold it over for the summer    STUPID TREE HUGGERS  GIMMI BACK REAL GAS NOT CORN CRAP

the carbs were a green color
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:42 AM »
you may want to do so.  Went out this morning and tried to start our three, the only one that would run right was the 1989 sno scoot.  Other two are messed up with what I assume to be ethanol issues even though I summerized them just as reccommended. :%$#!:  Never had a problem with getting these sleds to start before this year.  So far, that makes one outboard and now two sleds for me...... >:(

gotta love those yammys ;D

Offline bruce21m

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ITS MILLER TIME
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:10 PM »
I know thank god mine are fine ;D

Offline troutlover

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Maine
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:05 AM »
started mine up a couple weeks ago and they ran fine put stablizer in over the sumer worked fine

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2009, 05:38 AM »
Try K100.  It prevents the alcohol from being able to attract the water.  I used it in my boat and it started right up.

Offline toguetaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is fishing!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2009, 05:54 AM »
 Started up both ski doos after treating with marine stabil and no issues yet....

Thank you to all my fellow Veterans

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:50 AM »
Im gonna be the odd man out here, but the only time I have had issues with the way my machines ran was when there was Stabil in the Gas.I have an 05 Raptor that has well over 30,000 miles on it and it has ran nothing but E10. It will fire right off every time no matter how long its been sitting.My buddy put stabil in his and we had to drain the carbs and tank to get it to run. I started my Skidoo600 a couple weeks ago and it idled till it was warmed up and I loaded it on a trailer. Seemed to be running as good as the day I parked it.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:05 AM »
I have to add a word of caution on the Avgas.  I used it years ago and in short order blew a new 200 hp high performance Merc.  The
Avgas has way too much octane for normal applications, and the sleds/outboards are designed for it.  If you use it your machine will
fly, and run superb until you burn the rings right out of it.

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2009, 09:47 AM »
i put the blue marine stabil in my sled before my last fishin trip last year. then got home drove it in the garage and parked. it had a leaky base seal last year, so i pulled the motor last week so i could start disasembling it. when i pulled the carb off it was full of brown sludge. so yeah, guess i should have run the gas out lol. :tipup:
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Try K100.  It prevents the alcohol from being able to attract the water.  I used it in my boat and it started right up.
i used k-100 last yr. and had the same trouble gamefisher did w/ his sleds. hard starting and kept stalling for about a mile down the trail till' it clearded itself out. went to startron and no problems so far. marine stabil has alcohol in it which will just make the problem worse. no alcohol in startron.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:32 AM »
i know it costs more money but we have been having much better luck running super in all the outdoor power equipment. even most of my customers have switched and ave had less problems with there stuff also. and as far as the marine stabil you need to use it with each and every fill up. and remember you can not use to much of it i always double up on the amount used from what is recomended.

John 
my bros. a mechanic and told me the same about the super. less ethanol in it than reg. gas. the skidoo dealership i bought my sled from recommends high test as well.

Offline jmayo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:24 PM »
k100 is alcohol based marine stabil petrolium based no idea about startron

i used k-100 last yr. and had the same trouble gamefisher did w/ his sleds. hard starting and kept stalling for about a mie down the trail till' it clearded itself out. went to startron and no problems so far. marine stabil has alcohol in it which will just make the problem worse. no alcohol in startron.
>--^-(*>
John

a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline maritimedog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I've started mine two or three times over the summer because I was worried that could happen. Fortunately mine started every time. Bring on the snow.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2009, 03:38 PM »
k100 is alcohol based marine stabil petrolium based no idea about startron

startron is a enzyme. no alcohol in it. there was a website posted on here that broke down all these treatments to what theyre made of and what seemed to work the best for preventing phase separation. amazing how many of them actually makes the problem worse. k 100 was one of them. seems the safest way is to run your machine out of fuel w/ a treatment in it and fog the motor at the same time. this way you start on fresh fuel every season and the treatment and fogging oil keeps everything lubricated and protected. thats what ive been told.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2009, 03:51 PM »
startron is a enzyme. no alcohol in it. there was a website posted on here that broke down all these treatments to what theyre made of and what seemed to work the best for preventing phase separation. amazing how many of them actually makes the problem worse. k 100 was one of them. seems the safest way is to run your machine out of fuel w/ a treatment in it and fog the motor at the same time. this way you start on fresh fuel every season and the treatment and fogging oil keeps everything lubricated and protected. thats what ive been told.

Steve..How much snow you getting up there today? Was up visiting my father today, around 3" on top of Soucy hill.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:52 PM »
rumor has it  Irvings Hitest is ethonnol free   I dont know for a fact   just what was told to me

It's easy to test fuel for ethanol.  Pour about 1/2 inch of water in a clear bottle.  Fill half way with gasoline.  Mark where the water and gas separate.  Shake until the gas and water turn into a foamy mess.  Let the water settle to the bottom.  If the water/fuel separation line is in the same place there is no alcohol in the gas. If there appears to be more water than when you started the fuel has ethanol.  This is phase separation.  The alcohol moves from the gas to the water.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:11 PM »
seems the safest way is to run your machine out of fuel w/ a treatment in it and fog the motor at the same time. this way you start on fresh fuel every season and the treatment and fogging oil keeps everything lubricated and protected. thats what ive been told.

This is what I did, I haven't tried starting it yet, but hope I have no problems..........did the same thing last year, so should be good.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Marine Stabil E-10 states right on the package that it contains NO alcohol ~ just an FYI

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.