The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: If you haven't tried to start the sleds yet......  (Read 13825 times)

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: If you haven't tried to start the sleds yet......
« Reply #120 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I went to the Auburn airport and they told me not many airports have the ethanol free gas and most aviation fuel has ethanol in it too, it's just a high octane, which burns hotter, so the ethanol burns up before it makes an aircraft run bad.
Sanford airport has it, I was told that Limington has it as well.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #121 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:33 AM »
For the northern boys    Millinocket air hanger  has the fuel  anyone can stop and get it at the pump.
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #122 on: Nov 03, 2012, 07:07 AM »
For the northern boys    Millinocket air hanger  has the fuel  anyone can stop and get it at the pump.
thats a 2 hr trip South!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Nov 03, 2012, 10:04 AM »
john, you ever ask if you could get some in p.ilse?

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #124 on: Nov 03, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Sanford airport has it, I was told that Limington has it as well.
The guy did say there were a few that still used it, but didn't know which ones.  ::)

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Nov 04, 2012, 02:34 AM »
Between camp and home i have 2 outboards, 2 sleds, 2 wheelers,2 mowers, 2 weedwackers, 2snowblowers, generator, waterpump, leafblower, pressure washer, auger. The first 4 yrs using marine stabilizer alone was hell because at least three or four carbs would need to be taken apart and cleaned, fuel lines would be dried out as well as the jet seats drying out, then i started adding SEAFOAM to all my gas that won't be used right off and have had zero problems for two years straight.  KNOCK ON WOOD :P. My plan is to try eliminating the stabil next year and see if i can get away without it because i'm not convinced it helps at all. I usually don't believe in any of this snake oil, but the SEAFOAM seems to lubricate, the way gas used to.This new gas seems to act like alcohol and dries everything out. The only carbs i dare run dry are the outboards because they sit so long. I just double up on the SEAFOAM for them hoping to really lubricate the seats and seals in the carbs. I also try to start everything else every 6-8 weeks just to get better gas into the carbs.    Just another burden our politicians have placed on us trying to appease the 10% idiot do gooder treehuggers.     THERE I FEEL BETTER

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Nov 04, 2012, 12:14 PM »
ive been going back and forth w/ startron when theyre stiting and a splash of seafoam at each fillup while in use. so far so good. tried k100 and marine stabil the 1st and sec. year ethanol was out, had all kinds of carb problems w/ sleds, outboards and atv..

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #127 on: Nov 04, 2012, 02:35 PM »
I put in all 3 --> marine stabil, star tron, and seafoam and have never had an issue with an engine (knocks on wood)  ;D

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #128 on: Nov 04, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Seafoam is the best gas stabilizer out there period. I use it in my truck at every oil change and use it in my ATV when I store it for the season. 6 months later I can start up my machine no problem and run that tank of gas like it was just pumped.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #129 on: Nov 04, 2012, 11:18 PM »
Hey guys, go to the General page and vote for Pikekings photo in the picture contest. Thanks guys...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #130 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:43 AM »
I put in all 3 --> marine stabil, star tron, and seafoam and have never had an issue with an engine (knocks on wood)  ;D

So your gas is around 6.50 a gallon :)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #131 on: Nov 05, 2012, 07:24 AM »
I use Amsoil
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx

plus I start stuff every few weeks!

Offline Winters2short

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Nov 05, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Started mine every couple of months this summer and fall.  Marine stabill seems to be working.  Though I am going to get avgas to store it from now on.  Thanks for the tip.
If Jim Beam were the sea and I was a duck, I'd swim to the bottom and never come up.

Offline wizzard77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:41 PM »
I've lost or had to do major repairs to snowmobile 3 engines the last two years using stabil. this year I'll try seafoam, and cross my fingers.
My gramps always said that if you work hard at something it'll come easy

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Nov 06, 2012, 12:12 PM »
whats nice about seafoam is it lubricates lines and seals plus cleans carbs and engine deposits over time as well as stabilizing the ethanol/ gas. dont need much to do the job either. no need to fog your motor w/ a good dose of this before you put your sled away.

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Nov 08, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I,m glad to see no negative experiences with the Seafoam. So far Seafoam has been great for me. This winter I,ll try cutting the marine stabil out and using only the sea foam because I,m thinking the stabile may be causing more problems than we care to think about.   Has anyone noticed how bad our spark plugs look after just a season now? They are crusty and pitted. That's something new to me.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Nov 09, 2012, 10:06 AM »
yep. they look like you dumped in old mixed gas . i change mine every year regardless now. marine stabil gave me as much problems as the k-100 did. seafoam and startron seem to do the trick.

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Nov 12, 2012, 02:54 PM »
Uncovered the sleds yesterday, checked for mice, hit the choke and turned the key.  Both started right up.   ;D ;D    Both Artic Cat 340 fans.  All I did was run stabil.  After reading all the good stuff about seafoam, I will get some. 

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Nov 18, 2012, 01:30 AM »
i just bought 4 mason jars and put gas in one, gas w/marine stabil in one, gas with seafoam in one, and a mix of gas w/stabil and seafoam in the fourth one, and punched a small hole in the lids. i'm really interested to see what happens. i'll update every few months for anyone interested.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Nov 18, 2012, 07:29 AM »
I use Seafoam all the time, in conjunction with Stabil and have zero problems.  Using the aircraft fuel is not
a good idea.  We used that years back and burned up a new Mercury 200 hp outboard.  The company did not
want to replace it, and we had to do a lot of haggling to get it replaced.  Use if you dare, but I wouldn't for just
a few more digits of octane.  It isn't worth it.  We also got ours at the Sanford airport.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #140 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:54 AM »
i just bought 4 mason jars and put gas in one, gas w/marine stabil in one, gas with seafoam in one, and a mix of gas w/stabil and seafoam in the fourth one, and punched a small hole in the lids. i'm really interested to see what happens. i'll update every few months for anyone interested.
would be interested especially with pictures..

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:25 PM »
only been 6 days and no change yet but i'm keepin my eyes on them and will report my findings for sure. ;)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #142 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:37 PM »
only been 6 days and no change yet but i'm keepin my eyes on them and will report my findings for sure. ;)
thanks... I think around 20-30 days could get interesting.  may take longer since it is winter and the air is really dry, no humidity

Offline umoguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:13 AM »
I have to add a word of caution on the Avgas.  I used it years ago and in short order blew a new 200 hp high performance Merc.  The
Avgas has way too much octane for normal applications, and the sleds/outboards are designed for it.  If you use it your machine will
fly, and run superb until you burn the rings right out of it.

I think the idea is to just keep a little in the tank through the off-season and "water it down" with regular gas come the first outing. Still, a good warning to keep in mind.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Nov 26, 2012, 11:29 AM »
thats what i do. whatevers in the tank at the end of the season, i treat it, run it awhile to get the carbs , then put it away like that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.