Author Topic: Dumbest thing you've done on the ice  (Read 30249 times)

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
Re: Dumbest thing you've done on the ice
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Ice fishing in Maine, my buddy Tom and I are very competitive. Matter of fact we're competitve about everything in life. Well one day we're out brookie fishing close to an outlet, which has open water. I have a tip-up about 15 feet from the open water and the first 3 hours of the day I caught 6 trout through the same hole. As I was cooking lunch I turned to hear Tom drill a hole between my flag and open water. Of course after cursing at him I figured oh what the heck let him try to catch a few trout seeing he had been skunked all morning. About 2 hours goes by, he catches 2 right in a row out of his new hole. Now were both standing about 8 to 10 feet from open water and I come up with the idea of pulling my trap and thowing the bait over the side of the ice into open water. I took one step towards the area I targeted and all of a sudden the ice gives way. Splash I go in. I see the look on Tom's face, like do I help or do I run. I watched the video on here on how to retract yourself from the water and was able to get out safely. But talk about cold. I don't know what pissed me off more, him rolling on the ground laughing at me or the fact I had about 1 mile walk off the pond. Thank God I had extra clothes in the truck. When I went back to see if Tom was nice enough to pull the rest of my tipups, come to find out he was still pulling fish through what he calls the best fishing hole he ever found.

Yes we still fish together!

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2009, 03:20 PM »
My very first time out Ice Fishing I chose to wear a pair of steel toe work boots in -20C weather!  That was the first and last time I have ever done that!  It's been two years now and I haven't done anything worse then that, so I'm one of the lucky ones so far judging by some of the other posts!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #32 on: Oct 22, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I don't know about dumb...but this might do:

Set 2 tip ups...go back to the homeade 180 pound poly propylene shack.  Drop 2 lines in the shack on bobbers.  Heater blasting.  Take off the goose down parka.  Flag!  Set pole quickly in sleeve of parka hanging on chair.  Go to spinning flag.  Wait...set hook.  Pull...and pull...line getting very heavy....yell for brother and gaff.  Brother and gaff waiting for huge fish.  Fish is huge!!  Pull on tip up line hard.  Noise from shack.  Keep pulling huge fish.  Fish comes up...6 pound pike. 6 Pound pike had 2 jigs wrapped around it's head just like ones fished in shack.  Hmmmm....pulled on jig lines.  See my 2 rods from permy coming up (remember - one in the coat sleeve).  Parka got pulled onto Mr. Heater...now see dark acrid smoke from shack...smell burning hair.  Brother pulls out parka...beating flaming parka on ice.  Ice hut destroyed.  Parka gone.  Good fun.  +1 pike ...  minus one parka and shack.

fish = 1
We = didn't
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:39 PM »
Kinda long so hold on...  Fishing up in Alaska gets cold in the winter. So when it warmed up to about 0 degrees its a heat wave.  So i con my buddy to go fishing on George Lake.  About 150 miles from my place.  This right about the time where gas prices were WAY up around $4.90 a gallon.  So we load up the snowmachines and the sled and all the rest of the gear.  We finally get out there about 3 hours too late.  Start the machines and load the sled up, get down to the ice and get ready to drill some holes.  The trip goes south here.  The Auger i had rented from the Army base in town. It was in good order till i put it in the sled, and from all the bouncing around, had broken the throttle linkage.  I managed to get that fixed w bailing wire.  Start drilling a hole when about 5 feet in, my auger starts jumping and spewing silt from the bottom  of the lake.  Yep i had drilled into the ground.  So i try drilling in another spot. Blades are toast.  Well at least we can enjoy the warm weather and drink the growler of beer we brought.  I open the cooler and the growler had popped off the cap and now my extra gloves, neck gaiter, and my digital camera were under about 3 inches of beer.  So we drain the cooler and drink what beer we could. Plan of action: ask other people fishing to use their auger. Go to start the machines and mine wont start.  An hour later i get it started. We motor over and ask to use their power auger (i know both these guys since they work at Sportsmans Warehouse), the suddenly clam up and dont wanna loan it out. Eventually i get one of the guys to drill 3 holes so we can fish.  Well 4 hours later we have no fish and its time to leave.  We pack up the gear and head out.  When i get back to the truck i notice my new ugly stick suddenly doesnt have a reel on it, but has line strung down the trail.  A few min. later my friend pulls up with my broken reel and a crapload of line in his hand.  Apparently it had worked it way to the outside of the sled and caught on a tree where it proceeded to destroy all but my Ugly Stick. Total cost for the trip: around $600 and not one fish to speak of. ::)

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2009, 03:55 AM »
DANG! OUCH DUDE!   i almost burnt down my quickfish 6 last year on crosswind lake. it was -38 and the can on my buddy heater ran out, so when i went to switch it well....all the other cans had ice built up in the threading, so it leaked while i threaded it, but then got a real quiet leak and i thought it was good.....hahaha, sparked her up and flash! im enveloped in flames! burnt my beard pretty good and melted part of my collar, as well as singed the rest of my facial hair....well great thing the door behind me was wide open, cuz i grabbed it and flung it out the door! my buddy was really worried after that, but we got her fixed by god and we fished, and froze even with the heater cookin, and the stove on too....at least we caught 1 nice laker for dinner :thumbsup:  

year before last a friend of mine bought a nice jiffy auger for $500, floor model! we took it out to lake louise.....well his older brother shows up with a couple pals, drunk of course, takes the auger and walks over to a spot (i told my buddy "this can only end in trouble", he commences drilling and attempts to drill to china! drilled into sandbar, not once , not twice, but 3 times,wrecks the brand new auger and ruins the trip!.....then back in Anchorage, he takes it back to sportsmans and attempts to exhange it for a new one to make it up to my buddy! haha he ended up shellin out the cash! :roflmao:  like i say " no one cares when its not thiers" i dont ever let other people borrow my gear, cuz if its gonna get wrecked, its gonna get wrecked by me!!
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2009, 04:05 AM »
another stupid thing that happened to us on a crosswind trip (22 mile ride) last year....we headed out with 2 24packs of beer.....one didnt make it...we know we're gonna be wishin for that other one and we figger it gone for good..(this was a 3 day trip with 5 people)....get this!  next day we are fishing, and we spot a snowmachine headin our way....closer closer.......we figger hes an officer thats gonna check us......its a guy we know from anchorage, and he pulls up and asks....."yall lose some beer"? he had found our beer, searched the lake till he saw us, and delivered....WHAT A GUY! of course we gave him a reward....how many people would do that?

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for stiff water
« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Mine was minor in comparison last year. I bought a new tackle box and other assorted gear in prep for last years season. First day of safe ice a dragged my sled and gear to Lake Lonely (can't use ATVs on this lake and I currently didn't have one). Drug it about a mile and came accross a guy who landed a nice pike. I offered to measure it and weigh it. I walked back to my Jetsled to get my scale and realized I left my brand new tacklebox at home. Had to drag everything a mile back to the truck, go home and get my tackle box. I only had to drive a 5 miles home, but I was exhausted but went back out anyway  ;D

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:19 PM »
25 years ago back in Wisconsin when my buddy an I were 18 we built a shanty out of old scrap lumber. We used it for the season but after a warm spell it got cold again and it froze in tight. We talked about chopping it out but decided that because neither one of our parents wanted to let us store the "god forsaken shack" in the off season we would just have ourselves one last warming fire on the ice. The plan was to fish until it burned down enough to clean up the charred remains and call it a season. Everything was going according to plan. We had a nice big fire and were even catching some fish.... until the cops showed up. (2 police snowmobiles and a squad car on the bank)
   When we told them it was our own shanty they didn't believe us and hauled us to the police station where I had to make the interesting phone call to my dad. Apparently earlier in the year they had a problem with someone who had burnt someone elses shanty down and they figured it was us. I asked them if they thought we would be that stupid to stay and fish if we were going to burn someone elses shanty. They didn't have a good answer.
  To make a long story shorter they finally figured out that we weren't vandals and charged us with violating a burning ordinace. It was definately one of my more interesting outings.

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2009, 12:49 PM »
You're a lucky man, last year a guy and his daughter were killed on Lake Winnebago, WI during the sturgeon spearing season driving a full size truck into a crack a little wider than that......

Hopefully you do keep on top, we all hear too many stories about people losing their lives on the ice.....

I think of that everyday how it all could have been worse.   :'( :'(  Next time will not have head in ass could have lost me and my best friend of 45 yrs.   :o :o
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2009, 04:48 PM »
oooh man i just remembered something messed up that happened to me on my way up to lake louise once.....

so i drive a shortbed ext cab chevy cheyenne 1500......not much room for my stuff and no trailer....so at sutton 1 hour into the drive the wind is blowing head on at us about 90mph gust and steady 50mph....we're driving 60mph into.....in the bed of the truck i had my snowmachine, auger, gas, and big jet sled was tucked in at an angle to the sidewall and snowmachine.tucked inside the jet sled is my treasured tackle box with EVERYTHING in it. the jet sled was strappedn down pretty good, but not good enough.....came around a corner and the wind caught the lip of the jet sled, the strap snapped and the sled and tackle box was RIPPED from the bed of the truck! i turn around pull over.....lures, baits, scents, hooks, sinkers, batteries, everything is scattered on the highway and shoulder for 100 yards..... wait whats that? my one flashlight, rolling back and forth in the road, had turned on at impact.....luck? im sure....the wind lets up a little bit, but not much...with the flashlight my buddy and i search diligently for everything in the pitch dark....traffic was fairly light thanks to god.... took an hour but we found pretty much all my tackle that was important, the batteries ( one was shot), and most of the bait and scents....the sled- HA! WAS 150 YARDS AWAY WHEN SPOTTED, rapidly being blown across a hay field. chased it down, hauled it back, repacked everything...the tackle box was un salvagable, completely obliterated.  my buddies two boys got out to pee, one starts peein into the wind, the others downwind from him and sprinkled his older brother pretty good! nothin like adventure!

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #40 on: Oct 27, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Last year was my first season and first time on the ice. I was out my very first time by myself to top it all off. I had 1 pole, half a dozen jigs, some waxies and my ice picks. I sat on a 5 gallon bucket and used my ice picks to open holes from the previous days fishers.

There was one other guy on the lake about 30yds away and the ice got into a big noise episode and I hit my belly and laid there.... the other guy came running over and asked if I was ok... i asked if the ice was supposed to do that and he said it was and that the ice was 14" thick.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:32 AM »
20 years ago, before the advent of portable ice shelters, my brother in law and myself decided we'd bring a small tent out on the ice to be used to warm up on those below zero days.  The day we went happened to be a windy day, one of those that makes a blizzard out on the ice with all of the blowing snow.  We set the tent up, the type with the two long rods that you fish through and presto, the tent was up.  We put a couple items in the tent to prevent it from blowing away (or so we thought) so didn't stake it.  Well, we're out, hand drilling holes in 24 inches of ice with a BAD hand auger, when we look only to see our little tent cartwheeling down the ice.  We were beat from the hand drilling, but had to trek probably a half mile to retrieve the tent.  Several times, as we approached it, we'd be foiled by the wind blowing it further down the lake.  In a way, we were ahead of our time, but on the other hand.... ??   :-\
Leave it better than you found it

Offline icechip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 28, 2009, 07:21 AM »
I was once invited to fish with a buddy at a populated lake with lots of houses and cabins on. We drove on the ice and in front of a few houses. It was early and one friendly fellow came down and started BSing with us. He was from my old country so we hit it off right away. He goes back to his cabin and brings down a bottle of his home made moonshine. The fishing was not so good so I started drinking some moonshine with him. My buddy didn't want to have any of the good drink. The stories were flying and the shine was going down fast. We finished the bottle and I wasn't into fishing much. Couldn't focus on my rod tip and everything was kind of fuzzy looking. So I climbed into the back of my buddies open pickup box. Passed out right there in the warm sunshine. Dumb thing to do with my buddy the jokester around. We were using chicken parts for bait for lakers. As I'm passed out he takes a chicken neck out of our bait bag. Sticks this chicken neck in my mid section in my unzipped snowmobile suit. And zips it up till the chicken neck is stuck in my zipper, so it looks like my manhood is sticking out of my mid section and out threw my suit. My buddy then proceeds to take pictures of me passed out with my chicken neck manhood sticking out. Well I guess a few locals had come down to fish and my buddy pointed me out to them. A good laugh was had by all who saw me. One lady went up and got her cat and the cat was put in the back of truck with me. I woke up to from all the histerical laughter that was going on. They were laughing at the cat that was chewing on my manhood and there was my buddy taking pictures. So I dont ever drink around my buddy anymore.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 28, 2009, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing that one icechip. I'll be writing that one down. I'm a big fan of pulling pranks. Especially on wasted buddies. ;)
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Meppsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 28, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Did anyone mention the old flag in the face moment you just hope no one saw...that's embarrassing.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice like an idiot.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #45 on: Oct 29, 2009, 12:15 AM »
Icechip ......better be careful where you pass out heh old boy  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
and be careful of that potato moonshine ;)

I was fishing with my artificial eye in and sight fishing down my hole. Looked up and it popped out of the socket and fluttered down my ice hole. I wasn't quick enough and it slipped thru my fingers and all I could do was watch it sink down to the depths as it looked back at me. 1,800$ later I got a new one and no longer fish around a ice hole with it in. So if anyone sees me on ice.....this is what I look like ;)2

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #46 on: Oct 29, 2009, 12:25 AM »
Icechip ......better be careful where you pass out heh old boy  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I was fishing with my artificial eye in and sight fishing down my hole. Looked up and it popped out of the socket and fluttered down my ice hole. I wasn't quick enough and it slipped thru my fingers and all I could do was watch it sink down to the depths as it looked back at me. 1,800$ later I got a new one and no longer fish around a ice hole with it in. So if anyone sees me on ice.....this is what I look like ;)2

If I would happen to catch that peeper...and decide to send it off to the taxidermist..and I put it on the wall...

..you see where I'm going with this, right?  ;-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Oct 29, 2009, 03:04 AM »
If I would happen to catch that peeper...and decide to send it off to the taxidermist..and I put it on the wall...

..you see where I'm going with this, right?  ;-)

It's funny he didn't catch a fish with that dropping down there, Usually eyeballs are good bait.......... ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 29, 2009, 05:57 AM »
Well, I guess that explains your avatar TGF. We've all dropped all kinds of things down those stupid magnetic holes but you my friend, stand alone. Must be tough to have a sense of humor about it when it costs $1800  :o. Thanks for sharing that tidbit. I'm sure more than one of us will be sharing that story at work today...If you don''t mind.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:20 AM »
fell in after giving my lets becareful speach ....... ::)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #50 on: Oct 29, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Well, I guess that explains your avatar TGF. We've all dropped all kinds of things down those stupid magnetic holes but you my friend, stand alone. Must be tough to have a sense of humor about it when it costs $1800  :o. Thanks for sharing that tidbit. I'm sure more than one of us will be sharing that story at work today...If you don''t mind.

Share all you want.....life is full of bumps and grinds....you just gotta roll with it  ;)2

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Oct 29, 2009, 10:58 AM »
I have forgot to put my spikes on, walked by a hole I just drilled slipped and had my arm go down the hole, had flags hit me in the face, but the best was having a javelon contest on a slow day with an ice chisel and watching it go through a hole that was drilled a few days before and go to its new home on the bottom of the lake

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Oct 29, 2009, 11:09 AM »

When I read Icechip is from B.C. I thought it sounded like he was fishing with you Terry

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #53 on: Oct 30, 2009, 01:08 AM »
I have forgot to put my spikes on, walked by a hole I just drilled slipped and had my arm go down the hole, had flags hit me in the face, but the best was having a javelon contest on a slow day with an ice chisel and watching it go through a hole that was drilled a few days before and go to its new home on the bottom of the lake

nice! sounds like that guy won!

Offline Meppsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:59 AM »
Went to go get some bladder relief at the bank when one leg went through the ice up to my hip. Had to have a buddy help me out, not a shining moment for meppsfan!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice like an idiot.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 01, 2009, 11:10 AM »
somebody order some efffing golf shoes ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Nov 01, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Invite people who show up after all the work is done, drink your beer and pull in your tipups when a flag goes up..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 01, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Okay, here goes.
This is in nowhere North Dakota. We are taking my bud town to town for his birthday. Nothing better to do in the middle of nowhere. It is around 4pm and we get a call from another friend saying the fishing was hot. Like any good angler our DD has all kinds of equipment in the back of the suburban, so we figured we would check it out. We had a case of beer and a bottle of peppermint schnapps so lets fish for and hour or two. We head out on the ice and set up with our bud already fishing. Fish and drinks are plentiful and I feel a nap coming on. I lean back in my chair to close my eyes for a minute, and the next thing I know I have an excruciating pain in my right hand. I wake up to find that I had fallen asleep with a cigarette in my hand and it had burned down to my woolen glove (note I didn't dress for fishing that morning). Turns out wool is flammable. Hand of fire :%$#!:!!!!!! First reaction was to plunge my hand down the hole. Got the fire out and thankfully not much damage to my hand was done. The rest of the guys were laughing so hard they fell off their buckets. The birthday boy still recalls that event as his favorite b-day story. Glad I could contribute. For all you smokers out there, be mindful when you light up.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 01, 2009, 03:01 PM »
That was an awesome story catfish. Now some of us Iceheads need to get with arctic armor to come up with a flame retardent glove.

Offline new_icer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:46 PM »
That story does blow mine out of the water, but here we go.

So me and a buddy had a long weekend so we decided to go to a lake that is about 4 hours where we are stationed at.  We left after work on Friday afternoon and got to the lake around 10 or so.  After a goods night rest we got up early ready to fish.  so we load up the sled and attach it to the rented ATV we got.  After spending about 30 Min's trying to get our ATV started we where  finally off.  After driving out onto the lake a bit i looked back and saw that we had lost a stand for our heater so i yell at my buddy to stop so we can turn back and pick it up.  Unfortunately we didn't have a tow bar on our sled so you can just imagine stopping an ATV going about 25 mph the ATV stopped but the sled just kept right on moving all of our gear went flying a good 40 foot radius all around us.  well finally we get all of our gear picked up including that damn heater stand and head off again.  after about 20 minutes of looking for a place to fish we came upon what looked like a good spot.  after unloading our sled we are startin to get anxious to get our lines in the water.  Well next problem neither of us had an auger so we had to rent one from the outdoor rec.  well no one who works there knows anything about ice fishing and not thinking we left the auger out in the truck over night and the auger was about probably one of the first models that jiffy came out with.  so after trying to fire it up for about another half our a guy came over and drilled us a few holes.  luckily we where able to set up our shelter and blast the heater on it for a little bit so it did fire up after about 45 Min's.  well you are probably sitting there thinking with how bad this trip went we had to have caught fish.  nope we caught one little perch the entire day.  at the end of the day after a rough day with the sun going down to put icing on the cake we ended up about 10 feet from driving right into a methane pocket.  so that was day one day two is almost as good.  getting out onto the ice a bit earlier and a bit easier we get to a spot that looks promising and get all of our holes drilled and all of our tip ups set up.  about 30 seconds later i look over and see that we are leaking gas from our ATV.  as i hurry up and get all of the gear packed up my buddy is trying frantically to get the ATV started luckily as i get the sled hooked up he got the ATV fired up and we where gone after only fishing for about 30 seconds.  upon getting back to our truck and room we decide that it isn't worth it to go back out so we load up the truck and take off about 2 hours down the road the radiator hose decides to blow up about 10 miles out of some Poe dunk town.  after gettin a ride into town my buddy shows back up with a high pressure washing machine hose he found in some backroom of the local general store.  finally we get it replaced and back on the road only to wind up with a flat about an hour outside of home.  well that's my story sorry about the length but i really couldn't leave any of this out.  this was by far the worst fishing trip i have ever gone on.  however it wasn't the worst weekend.  because it goes along with the old adage a bad day of fishin is better then a good day at work.  thanks for reading my post

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.