Author Topic: Dumbest thing you've done on the ice  (Read 30235 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Re: Dumbest thing you've done on the ice
« Reply #90 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:08 AM »
No snow, No ice creepers, a beautiful day.
 Take guard off auger.
Shuffle, slip and slide to cut first hole.
First hole auger-ed noticed blood every where.
Leg felt very wet and warm.
notice a laser thin cut in pants
No ice fishing & 12 stitches
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:52 AM »
A good thing the DEC wasn't there at the time, you may have been cited for chumming!   ::)
Leave it better than you found it

Offline Clampet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cripes!
« Reply #92 on: Mar 25, 2010, 08:54 AM »
I just want to say I feel very fortunate not to have experienced anything that remotely comes close to any of the above.

I have made a mental note to treat power augers with more respect.

Great thread!
- I reckon' -

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #93 on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Well, to revive an old thread... here's one for now. More to follow. I laughed enough reading these I gotta try and add to the mix. Bet some of you have done this one...

Fishin a tourney with a partner for pike, had a hot hole a ways off that was producing, or at least keeping us busy with flags most of the day. We hadn't been catching nearly as many fish as we had flags. Went out and reset the tip-up after a missed fish and for some reason, the rest of the day we got nothing from our "hot hole". Pulling the tip-ups in at the end of the day I found my missing depth weight, still securely attached to the baited hook in the "hot hole"......  ::)
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

lael19533

« Reply #94 on: Dec 03, 2011, 02:02 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D    sounds like me ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:40 PM »
one night whole I was in college a few of us decided to hit the ice. we were chasing a school of good crappie up and down an old creek channel and the BV and schnapps had been flowing pretty good. A friend of mine says hes gotta go make stinky, i need to pee at the same time so there we are out on the ice, He gets his coveralls down and off gets himself setteled and when he stands up he pulls up his coveralls, flips up his hood, and in the pale glow of the moonlight I can see his eyes get REAL WIDE and he starts cussing up a storm. YEP you gussed it he had not gotten his hood out of the way and now had somthing warm and slimy down his neck!
I still cant believe he was so POed that noone would leave to take him back to campus! The fish were bititng!

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:47 PM »
After a 25-year absence from ice fishing, a few friends invited me along for a weekend of hard water fun. It was like being a newbie all over again and I didn't have much of my own equipment yet. The six of us doubled up on three snowmobiles and pulled sleds around a couple different lakes. At the end of one day, I volunteered to drive a snowmobile up a hill to the place we were camping while towing a sled full of one guy's fishing equipment. I had a hard time turning my head to see how the sled was doing and the snow was deep so I had to concentrate on avoiding trees and stumps while staying on the trail. When I got to the top of the hill, I turned around to see that the sled was upside down and fishing equipment was scattered all the way down the hill. The sled had snagged a stump and overturned. We recovered everything and nothing was broken, but I didn't get an invitation this year (an annual event) and can't say I blame them. Yes, I'm "that guy" for this very dumb piece of driving. Will be walking solo on lakes this year now that we finally have ice and pulling my own sled with my own equipment.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:30 PM »
 I just made all of the dumb crap I've done seem meaningless this weekend.  I foolishly drove my quad on 1" of ice, after seeing quad tracks and trucks out on the ice I assumed it was good where I was headed, I had been there 3 weeks prior on 8" after all.  Why wouldn't it be good, when there was 18" everywhere else.... well I hopped off my quad walked 20' punched a hole, auger sliced straight thru 1" of crusty crap, I left my cover, cursed a few a times backing away slowly.... I got up to my quad and sliced another one, 1" of crap, I jumped on and floored it to shore.. No clue what kept me above the ice.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #98 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:33 PM »
one night whole I was in college a few of us decided to hit the ice. we were chasing a school of good crappie up and down an old creek channel and the BV and schnapps had been flowing pretty good. A friend of mine says hes gotta go make stinky, i need to pee at the same time so there we are out on the ice, He gets his coveralls down and off gets himself setteled and when he stands up he pulls up his coveralls, flips up his hood, and in the pale glow of the moonlight I can see his eyes get REAL WIDE and he starts cussing up a storm. YEP you gussed it he had not gotten his hood out of the way and now had somthing warm and slimy down his neck!
I still cant believe he was so POed that noone would leave to take him back to campus! The fish were bititng!
Thats Hilarious. The same thing happened to my cousin once! This didn't happen to be in N.H. did it?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Jan 30, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Over estimated a big headed idiot.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #100 on: Oct 02, 2012, 11:23 PM »
I know this has been idle for a while, but I got a laugh and wanted to contribute.

A couple of years ago I was fishing late for the crappie bite. I needed to tie on a new jig and had to put on my reading glasses. I bit the line to remove the first jig. After struggling to tie the second jig on in the dark, I finally got it. I baited it up and dropped it down the hole. It was then that I realized that I had tied it to the length of line that I had clipped off with the first jig. Lost a $7.00 titanium ant and a fresh waxie.

Offline Pointfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Oct 02, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Stepped in the tip-up hole I just pulled my tip-up out of...

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #102 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Forgot to buy waxies before a tournament.  Two hours from home, everyplace was sold out for the tourny.  No minnows anywhere either.  Ended up buying all the power bait Pamida had.  We didnt get a SINGLE BITE the entire tournament.  Six hours watching fish show up and then promptly leave in disgust. 

Never again.  Powerbait never ever ever again.

Offline flatlandah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:25 PM »
out on the ice family and friends , reminded all the children multipkle times about thwe open water around the rock, walked past the open water and out of view to .... well I shouldnt have to explain it, while walking back to the group someone yelled "flag" and I looked over my shoulder while continuing walking ....you guessed it walked right into that open water luckily only about knee deep , feet wet laughed like hell, and the group we fish with still bring it up every year... the funniest part is kids that were 4-5 y/o are now 8-9 y/o and ask why I walked into the open water when everyone said " stay away from the water"..we just blame it on me being a flatlandah "from away"

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:39 PM »
left my rod on the ice while i went out to pee when i came back it was gone  >:( :cookoo: :whistle:

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #105 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Accidentally kicked my rod down a hole in my wheelhouse! Dropped my cell phone in the hole once as well but that wasn't dumb, it was a BLESSING! LOL!

Offline Second City Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Oct 28, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Was fishing in a shack with four other guys for walleye. During the mid day slowtime someone suggested setting up a tip up. Inside the shack. We didn't have an auger cause we were in a rented shack on LOTW. So I set up a trap with some dead bait and we all continue jigging. Couple hours later the flag goes off and the reel is really spinning. I set down my jig rod and set the hook. It feels like a good fish and the other guys turn to watch. Long story short is the pike was going every which way under the ice and managed to pull in two deadsticks nobody was watching and my jig rod line. The fish and rods were landed but it was a huge mess of tangled line, rods, and a pike. Took 30 minutes to get it all fixed up and missed the primetime bite to boot.

Last year I was trying to find a crappie spot on a small lake. I was pulling my flip over with the poles extended so I could just fl up her over real quick after each move. After moving to a new spot and drilling a hole I flipped her over and reached in the tub to get the heater. When I glanced towards the hole I noticed a bright light emitting from the bottom of the lake 18 feet below. The light looking a lot like the lit up display screen on my $500 garmin, got my attention pretty quick. I had set the garmin on the canvas of the flip over before I popped the hole. After the hole was open I forgot about the GPS and flipped over the shack. The display stayed lit up for ten minutes before finally accepting its fate and in the process giving up all my saved weighpoints.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Tried to set up on a -40 day with the windchill, with a hand auger... gas auger was froze and there was 18 inches of ice, and no shelter.... needless to say we did not fish that day.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:56 AM »
slipped and pee'd on my heater element at the begining of a cold day.  Gross!!!

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:34 PM »
slipped and pee'd on my heater element at the begining of a cold day.  Gross!!!

LMAO!!!....thanks for the laugh!...I think you win! LOL!

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Dec 13, 2012, 03:48 PM »
was fishing w/ some buddies of mine and we had a fire in a trash can lid. i took a club of wood about the size of a baseball bat and walked up to a hemlock tree and took one hell of a wild over head swing w/ all my power to bust off a dead limb that was of equal size. being a logger i should have known that hemlock is extremely hard and rubbery when frozen and the club i had bounced back and struck me directly between the eyes almost dropping me. i stumbled around for a minute holding my face lol i stuck w/ wood already on the ground after that. and yes, we were all hammmmerrrrd! probably the only reason it didn't knock me out @)

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Dec 14, 2012, 01:16 AM »
wow some great stories

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:42 AM »
I offered the Game Warden coffee when he stopped by my wheelhouse....got to be the DUMBEST thing I ever did on the ice! Everytime after that, he would see my truck out at the shack and make a bee-line for me! I never got "checked" so many times in my life!!!

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:01 PM »
One of the firsts, as a preteen i went ice fishing. Walked a couple miles to a channel and proceeded to chop a hole,with a nuckle bumpin hatchet. Took a half hour or so and was about 3 foot at top and 3 inches at bottom. Clipped on my depth finder and dropped it into about 8 inches of water. in time i would go high tech and learn different ways to lose spuds through ice,but efficiently of course.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #114 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Layed my cell phone on my leg after a call and forgot about it.  Stood up and it swished thru my 6" hole.

When I was about 12 I was fishing with my grandpa for perch.  We had rods spread out over a flat and were each jiggin a hole.  The ice was smooth as can be with about 1/3 inch of snow on top and slippery.  When one of the set rods would get a bite I would take off running and then baseball slilde to the hole and rod and hook the fish.  My Grandpa kept warning me to stop or I was going to get hurt.  Being young and stupid I did not listen.  Next thing I  know there goes a set rod bite.  Off I go at a dead sprint  toward the hole and into my slide.  This time I hit the remnants of somones hole from the day before they cut with a spoon auger.  That chunk of ice that was frozen to the top of the ice found my knee during the slide.  I think I layed there for 45 minutes squealing in pain while grandpa kept saying..."I told you so!"  I limped the rest of the winter from that.

Offline Perchand Destroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Drove my pickup out on the lake one morning on one of those 45 degree March days. By 4:00 I noticed the ice was getting slushy on top and I figured I better get off the ice. I made it to about 50 feet from the landing where all four tires dropped through the ice at once. The truck still stayed on the ice on it’s frame, but it was going anywhere. I ended up calling a tow truck and I spent a half hour convincing him he didn’t have to go out on the ice, just winch me in from shore.  That batch of perch cost me $58. The tow guy hung around and made a killing from the other cars and trucks still out on the ice.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #116 on: Dec 16, 2012, 06:44 PM »
One morning i set out fishing after a late night, walked about a mile and half out on the lake, went to go set up up and i left the auger in the trunk...  >:(   so i walked all the way back to get the auger, then walked out again only to find i left the bait in the back seat... was a long day..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.