The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: countin down the days  (Read 7187 times)

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
countin down the days
« on: Aug 03, 2009, 11:39 PM »
yeah yeah, I'm starting to look at iceshanty a little more each day, figure might as well throw it out there as to when some of you ice fools believe we'll be out there.  judging by this forum, the last 4 years, first day of ice was:

11/27/05
12/9/06
12/3/07
11/22/08

So I don't know - this cool summer is scary making me think it'll be a warm winter, then again, its keeping the lakes cooler so they won't need as much to freeze.  Eh, I'm sure my prediction will change, I'll see as to when the salmon, steelies, and browns start running in Catfish and Ninemile creek, then ask the gods above by killing something with my car and staring at the guts.  Yatta yatta, my prediction for being out on the ice will be 12/1/09 +/- 5 days.  Given that it is now august 4th, that what, 4 months or 16 weeks or 120 days.  It will fly by, can't wait to try some new private lakes I have in my basket (Leisure Lake and Front Pond are making me drool) and maybe devote some more effort to this jigging crapt.  We'll see, lets here it boys, rant away, when will ice season 09-10 start.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: countin down the days
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2009, 11:58 AM »
I'll guess between Christmas and New Years for the Southeast; hoping of course that I'm erring to the late side. It's been pretty sketchy down here lately; last year it was late, kept ice for awhile, then boom; iced out before the pan fish got into the shallows. On the positive side, the late winter open water fishing was pretty hot on the local lake. Some of my accidental catches consisted of a 20'' plus bass, and a 34'' Tiger Muskie, both on 4# test. But I digress, bring on the cold! BTW:

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2009, 09:54 PM »
good job van, sweet ski, nothing has changed and everything has changed up north here, Monroe is still producing way too many 9inch + bullgills, to the point its annoying, more so than the perch.  Got my first open water bullhead today from Monroe, the crappie remain awesome, pickeral are non-existant, and I'm hoping to get another smallmouth from Monroe before the ice comes (Yes fred, there are smallies in Monroe)  We're gonna have another option this winter about 3 miles north off Coolbaugh Road called Leisure Lake if everything works out.  Trophy bass and crappie is what I've been told.

Mountaintop is infested with crappie and Pine tree is still pine tree.

And august rolls on.  Salmon are 4 weeks away, steelies are 6 weeks away, stockies 8 weeks, Oak Orchard browns 10 weeks and walleye 12 weeks, Monroe perch in 14, then ice.  gotta throw in the birth of my twins somwhere in there.  That's how I'm countin it down.  Let me know what's going on fred, if all is well, and if you want to go shoot up some monster salmonids this fall.  The ice is comin.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2009, 12:00 AM »
Me thinks the coming of twins will affect your fishing schedule!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2009, 01:32 AM »
I've got to the end of November buddy, that completes the rest of the seasons this year, and though I will no longer be living where I was, I'll still only be 300 yards from the lake meaning I can set up tip-ups and check in at home every hour.  Don't fret none about my schedule, hell, I'm even sending the wife and kids on a long vacation to europe in the spring so I can have some freedom for shad, trout, stripers and eels.  I got this parenting while fishing thing down pat.

Dr. JM

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Sounds like you have your priorities in order, LOL! That must be some woman your married to, if she agreed to travel abroad with two infants (and no husband). I do seem to recall her bringing us cheese cake and coffee out on the ice; definitely a keeper!

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I'm ready.It's 92 out right now

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I'm on a firm belief that the weekend that you chose for ice season to start will be right on ( 12/5/09 ).  That will match the same weekend that I got out last season ( First weekend of Dec )...We will have ice before then, but it will not be safe....Soon enough, it will be time  ;D

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2009, 05:28 AM »
sittin here countin the days on my calendar as all my patients are asleep and I need to go home.  lets put it in perspective.

Assuming I get on the ice the same day as last year (11/23/09):

7 weeks and 6 days until ice and losing a day everyday

that's 54 days boys, 54 days

the 40 degree low threshold was broke a while ago.

the plateau has already had a frost or two

30s are becoming a regularity for nightime lows

Just some dung to throw around in the mind.

Dr. JM

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Time keeps on ticking, ticking; into the future. Written by someone who shares my last name. Even in the tropics of Southeast PA we are starting to see some fall weather. I'm expecting at least one more shot of warm air (Indian Summer) around here. Hope it isn't too hot for grouse and pheasant season. I keep dreaming of getting back on those Plateau lakes; crappie, beware!

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2009, 01:06 AM »
48 days and countin

don't know how many are startin to watch the weather, but i just noticed the first mention of flurry.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/pa/mount-pocono/18344/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipchg=1&metric=0

though i have little faith in it, who knows, there may be a few roadside ditches skimmed over on the 14th.

Dr. JM

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2009, 10:32 AM »
JM, change of address? Hmmmmm. I predict imminent danger for the fish of Leisure Lake LOL!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2009, 10:33 AM »
stuff is in the doorway ready to goooooo! well in a moments notice   minuteman icefishermans club   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2009, 12:56 PM »
My wife caught me with a Mr. Jigger set up on the hood of my truck yesterday. I was checking the balance of a noodle rod combo. Got the old "you're playing with ice fishing gear already?" spiel. What can I say; was in the garage organizing and got a little side tracked. BTW, most of my ice gear got organized as a bonus.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2009, 11:30 PM »
hey mark, you thinkin of joining our band of murdering miscreats this year?  You are the Naomi connection, and I am, well, enough of everything else.  Let me know.

Here's to being on Emerald Lake in 46 days.

Just got access to Weiler Pond up in Cresco, the infamous headwaters to Cranberry Creek.  Brother got a job there, says a few of the workers like to fish it for big bass and pig craps.  Gonna try and check it out this weekend.  yet another option to add to the list.................

Dr. JM

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Hmmmmmmm, the plot thickens. Mark, hoping to get a chance to fish with you this season. Methinks, the photo ops will abound! JM, keep doing what you do.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2009, 11:07 AM »
very soon   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2009, 11:05 PM »
I think sooner than Mo thinks

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I think sooner than Mo thinks
im fishin today lol   mo

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Hey Petey...$10 says I'll be out in the Valley before you make it out up on the plateau  ;) ;)

and since I'm sure you haven't been asked in a while...when we going to Erie??  ;D ;D ;D
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2009, 02:52 PM »
its getting close now! these could nights will start droppin the water temps and before long they will start skimming over. Bring on the deer, then the ice

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2009, 08:54 PM »
weather.com calling for 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow on top of the plateau tomrrow.  Yeah ski, beat that, I'll be looking for skim ice on friday, you watch.

38 days and counting.

Dr. JM

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Guys, its 10am here in Monroe Lakes 33 degrees and its snowing decently, grass is white, and its getting harder.  Whats going on on top of the mountain?

Offline jasong31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2009, 10:52 AM »
Guys, its 10am here in Monroe Lakes 33 degrees and its snowing decently, grass is white, and its getting harder.  Whats going on on top of the mountain?

Up here in dingmans ferry its snowing like a mofo!! The nights have been cold and crisp... It's coming real soon boys... Maybe Ill be able to meet up with you fellas this winter once and for all.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2009, 05:24 PM »
weather.com calling for 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow on top of the plateau tomrrow.  Yeah ski, beat that, I'll be looking for skim ice on friday, you watch.

38 days and counting.

Dr. JM

water temp of 39 degrees at 1 of my hidden ponds   ;) ;)  We need a good cold snap in the next 2 weeks and I might just be on the ice in October  ;D ;D

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:01 PM »
Down to 34 days kids, burning them up like theres no tomorrow.

Skim ice was reported monday morning on the coves of the lakes up in Emerald as it was only 26 degrees.  28 degrees this morning here in the boonies of marshalls creek and eastburg resovoir #2 had a very slight skimming in the smallest of coves.  Its coming boys, the lakes are primed, another week or two and we're gonna have to get the "search for early ice" post going.

Dr. JM

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:09 PM »
j miser i gots the cure no not wodka but oxysilver a silver hydrosol developed by nasa it works. thats it .your familiar with a burst appendix i had no secondary infection other than the leakage also can be used inna nebulizer its antiviral anti bacterial and anti cancer but not antiangiogenesis thats what shark cartilage is for.oh boy do i need a dose of ice lol  n/c for the consult just tell mo sent ya  mo

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Mo, you are right, silver does kill a lot of things, don't know of any neb treatment that has silver in it, but then again, I'm not a pulmnologist.  They now sell clothing developed in sweden with a layer of silver to kill the flu virus, but a shirt cost 600 bucks, not my cup of tea.

Whatever, the flu is the flu, swine, seasonal, avian, all a matter of how healthy you are to begin with.  It's just a disgusting amount of hype (and money marketing scheme by Sanofi) about this swine flu.

Dr. JM

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:47 PM »
My wife's running a fever right now, but the only fever I have is ice fishing fever. Also, this computer is contributing seriously to my delinquency; I keep finding new places to buy jigs, even the Russian made jobs which Eric bestowed upon me last trip to Pine Tree. Tough not to leave a paper trail, have to print out the receipts, hide them, and then delete the confirmations in the e-mail. I feel so guilty......NOT! ;) Almost November.......

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:05 AM »
My wife's running a fever right now, but the only fever I have is ice fishing fever. Also, this computer is contributing seriously to my delinquency; I keep finding new places to buy jigs, even the Russian made jobs which Eric bestowed upon me last trip to Pine Tree. Tough not to leave a paper trail, have to print out the receipts, hide them, and then delete the confirmations in the e-mail. I feel so guilty......NOT! ;) Almost November.......

I love them Russian jigs...only managed to find 1 place that carried em anymore though (and they were running really low on stock when I ordered early last March)...well I'm sure theres more but I'm not learning to read Russian  ;D ;D...I ordered a ton last year and still can't believe how they will produce fish when nothing else will

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.