The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 31 lb togue caught on Moosehead today FOR REAL.  (Read 22479 times)

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 31 lb togue caught on Moosehead today FOR REAL.
« Reply #120 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:54 AM »
 Fired up for next season right now.  The question is..  are there BIGGER ones down there ?  Gonna have to upgrade my 8" auger for sure.  Imagine a 6"/8" hole in 30" of ice w/  Bill's Togue on !
 This is really going to boost the area economy.  What a great way to wind up the season.  :tipup: :tipup:  kdcon

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:01 AM »
wow, i just printed the picture off to show some of my buddies, the fish is so big that the picture i printed off weighed 7 pounds!   ;D ;D

Fired up for next season right now.  The question is..  are there BIGGER ones down there ?  Gonna have to upgrade my 8" auger for sure.  Imagine a 6"/8" hole in 30" of ice w/  Bill's Togue on !
 This is really going to boost the area economy.  What a great way to wind up the season.  :tipup: :tipup:  kdcon

just imagine that when he muckled ahold of that fish on top of the 3 feet of ice that the tail was still under the ice. that's a true trophy fish bill. i'd tell people it would be the new state record if there was a certified scale up there. once again, wow.....nice fish!
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Congratulations....awe some fish

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #123 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:00 AM »
 Many, many congratulations Bill, that is the Togue of the century. I have always hoped and dreamed of Togue swimming in Moosehead that size, you are now living the dream! Can certainly understand your frustrations regarding the scale issue, you have the new state record in my book! :o :bow:

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #124 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:44 AM »
it is pretty neat to see these HUGE fish at the end of the Season.. I remeber JP with his Monster Togue at the very end of Last season as WELL!! :flex: :flex:

Offline blackjacks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:57 AM »
Nice fish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 30 lb togue caught on Moosehead today FOR REAL.
« Reply #126 on: Mar 12, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Thanks everyone again! The fish was caught through a 10" hole and no chiseling was involved. My beagle is my mascot and he goes everywhere I go. The bait size and how I caught it remains a closely guarded secret. ;) It took a little over a half an hour to land him and as far as I am concerned it weighed in at 31lbs officially. The scale at Indian Hill was certified for the State Derby and it maxed out at 30 and said it was over capacity with many people to back me up on that. It was at least 31lbs in Rockwood with at least 6 witnesses. Why does everyone recognize the fish as being the lightest weight it was weighed in at? This is a big deal for the Moosehead Lake area and a potential boost for local businesses and I think the fish should be worthy of at least being recognized for what it was. A man shouldn't have to drive 60 miles to get a potential state record weighed on a scale at a meat market. Granted I waited 3 1/2 hours to come off the ice but does anyone else see my frustration?
I understand your frustration.  Any scale that is used for trade is certified for accuracy. Any scale that has a current tag from the department of weights and measures should be the only time it needs to be weighed.  Then that scale should be recertified for conformation.

Offline gunior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Mar 12, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Nice fish!!!!!!!!!!!!
35 inch trout caught in cold lake,Alberta, i got the pics on face book under g_unior55,didnt weigh it yet!

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Mar 12, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Congratulations Bill, you set the bar pretty high, it's going to be hard to top that one :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Billm715

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Thanks again everyone! I am working on a taxidermist right now. I guess the fish is going to make the NW Sporting Journal cover! This is all a bit overwhelming.....

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #130 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Thanks again everyone! I am working on a taxidermist right now. I guess the fish is going to make the NW Sporting Journal cover! This is all a bit overwhelming.....

I know it will be a LONG time before the mount is finished, but PLEASE remember to post a pic of the results when it is!!!

Congratz again!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #131 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:42 PM »
All I can say is great job! That is awesome...I know you don't want to give bait and locations and things like that...but  could you tell us jig rod or trap? If it was a trap was the line speeding out when you got to it..or slowy crawling out? If it was a jig rod after you set the hook dig the thing peel drag or did it just seem heavy until it got to the hole take a look at you then double down and just peel drag?? Was it a circle hook on a trap thing had creeped out line for a few minutes and you gave it a steady pull to set the circle and you said what the heck am I snagged..
I don't know if I can sleep tonight until I hear some details...
Tonight I'm putting gear away WD-40 duck taping organizing for next year...thinking about how much I want a fish like that..I just feel for you with the weight scale problem...but look at it this way...you caught the biggest fish in Maine this year a new Lake record, you have achieved some fame on ice shanty...you know the bait the set up the line the depth...Next Year you are looking good!!! You the man!!
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline Billm715

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:57 PM »
All I can say is that I knew he was big...just not THAT BIG! :o He did make some pretty fast runs....much faster than what I thought a fish of that size would go. He also changed direction alot and kept getting the line stuck in grooves in the ice. Along handled ice scoop really saved the day on that problem. He fought for the longest time at about the 25 foot mark on the line. Even at that depth I would see the water in the hole surge up and down a bit from him! The 3 of us who were there just about fell over backwards when we flopped it out on the ice. The depth of him from top of back to the bottom off the belly was right at the 12" mark. Add that with the length and it just didn't look real. Kind of like a fish that should have come from the North West Territories or something. Just a truely awesome experience. Too bad I didn't have a video camera or a scale out there with me.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:21 PM »
great looking fish man, congrats!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:18 AM »

If it gets too much for you Bill, just tell them I caught it. ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:39 AM »
i hear you w/ the line cutting into the bottom of the hole. i always have a long handled spoon w/ me. sometimes you need to unstuck it a few times in a long fight. my 13lber wouldnt come up from 25ft. either till' i tired him out. real nice fish bill!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #136 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:48 AM »
The depth of him from top of back to the bottom off the belly was right at the 12" mark.
I took this measurement and doubled it plus added an inch and used this formula that Buddah posted
The Formula:

((Girth x Girth) x Length) / 800 = weight in pounds 
(girth and length are inches)...................... .............

Example:
If the fish’s girth is 15 inches and its length is 29 inches, the formula would be used as follows: 

15 x 15 x 29, divided by 800 = 8.16 pounds
Then the ".16" or "16/100" is converted to ounces (multiply by 16) 
.16 x 16 = 2.56 or 3 ounces
so this fish is 8 pounds 3 ounces 
And came up with :o :o :o
32.03125#'s
Bill you can tell everyone you have the New State record!!!

Offline mbait

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 30 lb togue caught on Moosehead today FOR REAL.
« Reply #137 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Hey guys, I am a newbie here but have been lurking for at least a couple years. I caught the togue. Here is the info....

Ok guys more info and pics to come later. He was 41" and 31lbs on a certified UPS scale at the first place I weighed him.

Looking for a good fish taxidermist not too far away from Moosehead. He needs to be real good as this fish is the new Moosehead Lake record holder! I am pumped!!!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
Congrats Bill !!!  :o That makes my 19 pounder look small. I bet you won't stop smiling for a long long time. congratulations again. :)

Offline mbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:22 AM »
I took this measurement and doubled it plus added an inch and used this formula that Buddah posted
The Formula:

((Girth x Girth) x Length) / 800 = weight in pounds 
(girth and length are inches)...................... .............

Example:
If the fish’s girth is 15 inches and its length is 29 inches, the formula would be used as follows: 

15 x 15 x 29, divided by 800 = 8.16 pounds
Then the ".16" or "16/100" is converted to ounces (multiply by 16) 
.16 x 16 = 2.56 or 3 ounces
so this fish is 8 pounds 3 ounces 
And came up with :o :o :o
32.03125#'s
Bill you can tell everyone you have the New State record!!!

Bring the fish to me I have a cas deli scale that weighs to the 1000th of a pound.

Offline Billm715

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Mar 13, 2009, 09:18 PM »
i hear you w/ the line cutting into the bottom of the hole. i always have a long handled spoon w/ me. sometimes you need to unstuck it a few times in a long fight. my 13lber wouldnt come up from 25ft. either till' i tired him out. real nice fish bill!

Thanks! It was probably a half dozen times at least that I had to drive the scoop down the hole and free the line from a groove as he changed directions and things started to bind up.

Offline chief10point

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #140 on: Mar 14, 2009, 12:04 AM »
 that is one hell of a fish bill, congrats !   and welcome to the shanty.              and now you need to start trying a little harder  ;)   :tipup:
born to fish forced to work 

Offline brett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Mar 14, 2009, 02:32 AM »
Holy cow Bill AWESOME FISH If your strapped for the mounting $$$$$$$$  I would think we all could help  :) $5 here $10 there I'm in if you need the help. let me know and a big big big big big CONGRATS to you.
Enjoy !

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Mar 14, 2009, 04:56 AM »
 :bow: :thumbsup: :icefish: I am speechless all I can saw that is truly AWSOME  :clap: :clap:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #143 on: Mar 14, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Im now sure that is the one I had a bite on that threw the hook when I was down there    :roflmao: :thumbsup:

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Mar 14, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Great fish, congrats!

Offline Pogowi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Smoked Salmon Anyone?
« Reply #145 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Taxidermist - David Footer - native of Maine

Offline Jofisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:29 PM »
I can"t stop coming back to view the photos....in credable fish, Biggest togue for me at Moosehead is just over 4 lbs... I can"t fathom bringing one on the ice that big..I mean(Huge) !Now give us a  STORY !!!!!
Always,take the kids

Offline troutmasterkjc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Apr 07, 2009, 05:37 PM »
There wouldn't be so many schoolee's in moosehead if that laker lived there. :laugh: ;D lets here the storey now.? :laugh:

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Apr 09, 2009, 08:58 PM »
fyi.  the world record lake trout through the ice was caught about 10 years ago in our lake willoughby here in Vermont. It weighed right at 29 pounds i believe. Dont get discouraged bill. I believe you do have a record. Not Maine's, but a WORLD RECORD. CHECK IT OUT.

Offline Billm715

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:48 PM »
fyi.  the world record lake trout through the ice was caught about 10 years ago in our lake willoughby here in Vermont. It weighed right at 29 pounds i believe. Dont get discouraged bill. I believe you do have a record. Not Maine's, but a WORLD RECORD. CHECK IT OUT.

Thanks for the info. However, I came across this article that said the record togue was 40lbs through the ice. It was caught in Ontario.
http://berkshireflyfishing.blogspot.com/2007/06/world-record-lake-trout-for-sale-on.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.