The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pathfinder hot spots  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Pathfinder hot spots
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:25 AM »
I'm new to the area but not new to Ice fishing, I have been thinking about heading out to Pathfinder.  I have heard that canyon creek is good for eyes and near the dam is good for trout.  What else can you guys give up to help me out? I will be jigging until I can get some tip ups. Back in Vermont we used a lot of jigging Rapala's  and anything would bite them, is it that way out here? Any other good lures to use for eyes or trout?  It seems mealworms are good to tip any jig.  Thanks for any help.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Re: Pathfinder hot spots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:21 AM »
 I used to fish by the dam for trout. Jigging Raps worked well with a minnow head or tail. I never had any luck with the walleyes out there.
 You can get minnows at Slones in Alcova ( Sinclair Station).

Welcome to Big Wonderful Wyoming ! And to the Shanty !  :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Hey Vtgooseman, welcome to the shanty.Jigging raps do pretty well at pathy.I caught 3 of my 5 trout with a jigging rap on sunday.we was fishing at bishops.caught the rest on minnows with tip-ups.be carefull on the ice there it has thin spots and some open water.good luck

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Where on the lake is Bishops? I will try to be carefull on  the ice this weekend, I will be there on Saturday sometime.  Anyone else going?

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:25 PM »
I'm not sure where I'll go this weekend or what day, but I'm soooo there, man. 8)  Going to be mobile through the day trying to find some walleye. Just hope there's not a lot of sand in the ice. Does anyone know the ice conditions on the dam/marina and wolf point side?

Tight lines and
GO WYO! ;D

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:26 PM »
oh and welcome goose! ;D

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:38 PM »
I will be there with a cold case of Coors light, tryin to find some eyes.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I'm not sure where I'll go this weekend or what day, but I'm soooo there, man. 8)  Going to be mobile through the day trying to find some walleye. Just hope there's not a lot of sand in the ice. Does anyone know the ice conditions on the dam/marina and wolf point side?

Tight lines and
GO WYO! ;D

I killed two augers there one day. That sand was terrible... :-\

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Where on the lake is Bishops? I will try to be carefull on  the ice this weekend, I will be there on Saturday sometime.  Anyone else going?
Bishops is marked with a big sign off the main paved road into Pathy before you drop down the hill to the west.Its where the sweetwater river comes into the lake.I'm going to be out there somewhere my self Saturday but not sure where.Thinking about buzzard rd and getting back into sandcreek area for some eyes.I dont know how the rd will be but most of the snow should be gone by now.As far as the ice on the lake I think in allmost all ares there is good ice and bad ice.Just have to use your own judgement.I myself would not take a 4-wheeler on it.Just to many thin spots since the warm spell.If I can remember I will take my radio [channel 7] and holler at yu in the midday.goodluck and be safe
Randy

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:37 PM »
Sounds good I will be on on the Ice around Bishops somewhere, sounds like its going to be a nice day too. Hope the fish bite.  Thanks for all your help guys.  Goose

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Well, I made it out to Bishops today.  Not to much going on I had one good fish on that broke my 8lb test in 8 ft of water.  A few guys had some nice Bows on the Ice.  I guess I need to get some tip ups and some live bait.  Maybe next weekend, I'm going to try and find some coyotes tomorrow. -Goose

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:46 PM »
sorry I didnt get out saturday to meet up with yu goose.I wanted to but the honey do,s had priority. :-\I did get out today and went into bishops to the west off the long point.only had 2 flags in 4 hrs and didnt even mark any fish with the vex.sloooow day but man was it ever nice,to nice.this weather stays like this all week like its suppose to I really dont think theres much ice fishing left. :%$#!:
Randy

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Don't sweat it Fish, we have had some great weather and I don't think the ice out at Bishops is going anywhere.  I did get a dozen tip-ups today that I need to rig up before this coming weekend.  I plan on going back to bishops or in that area in the AM.  Where are you guys getting your minnows? Alcova or just out of Casper?  Thanks, Goose

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:42 PM »
The marks on this map show where folks were doing well this weekend.  Where else have they been biting? Goose-

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:56 PM »
vtgooseman I met you yesterday as we were leaving bishops point. we were in between your two marks that day and did not catch anything. We also went out today. near wolf point is where we set up shop today and we caught two in about eight hours. It was very slow at least we didn't get skunked like yesterday. Is anyone having any luck at all? How did you end up fairing yesterday gater slayer? 

Offline vthonkerhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:46 PM »
hey vtgooseman hope you guys get more this weekend or atleast catch a buzz with that coors!

Offline jigripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:44 PM »
vtgooseman I met you yesterday as we were leaving bishops point. we were in between your two marks that day and did not catch anything. We also went out today. near wolf point is where we set up shop today and we caught two in about eight hours. It was very slow at least we didn't get skunked like yesterday. Is anyone having any luck at all? How did you end up fairing yesterday gater slayer? 
how was the ice at wolf point hope to get out there this weekend

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:16 PM »
hey vtgooseman hope you guys get more this weekend or atleast catch a buzz with that coors!

That shouldnt be a problem, I wish I didnt have to work today.  What a run of weather. 

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:56 PM »
The ice is still around eight inches plus.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Big Al it was nice to meet you.  Im planing on going back to Bishops this weekend or if we cant get any there I may try down by the Dam.  Anyone fished by the Dam and had any luck?

Offline crow223

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:07 AM »
We fished bishops for 6 hours on sunday and iced one trout and lost 1 on a tipup and had one jigging rod yanked downhole while i was trying to untangle myself from my tipup line.
What's the hot setup for tipups? How high above bottom do we need to be?
Thanks,
Dan

Offline vthonkerhtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:35 AM »
hey goose man looks like you should go jig for that guys pole!  one good fish to take a pole down the hole hahahaha,  must of been some coors going there!

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:31 AM »
What's the hot setup for tipups? How high above bottom do we need to be?
Thanks,
Dan

Dan, I fished Bishops for the last 2 sundays in a row.The 11th I fished early morning[around 7am ] in about 16' of water and dropped my minnows to about 8' to 10' and had my limmit in about 30 minutes.last sunday I went to the same spot and fished all in between top and bottom and had 1 flag all day.so I guess what I am saying is the fish are where ever you catch them that day.they usually out smart me but once and awhile I get lucky ;D
Randy

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:59 PM »
This year has been the only time that I have fished pathfinder. It is a pretty large lake and in my opinion it is hard to find where the fish are concentrated. I think that I am doing everything right but still nothing to show for it. Any tips from anyone who has fished it and had good luck would be appreciated by all.

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Hey BigAl it was great to meet the both of you!!!  We stuck around until about 630 and packed it up.  Fish were moving in just as the glow on the horizon faded, but no takers.  Had one shoot straight up off the bottom like a rocket and I told myself, hold on buddy this ones attacking with a vengence. But wouldn't you know it, the darn thing went back down to the bottom as fast as it went up, and it didn't even bump my line!!! :%$#!: ??? At the end we caught two bows. nothing to write home about but no skunkage.  As always though, it was great being out there. Headin to the winter carnival at Boysen this weekend to wrangle up some fillets.  Don't know a destination yet, but might have to meet up with those crazies at Fremont! always down for a swillin coldbeer and whiskey :woot:. Hope the weather is NICE!!! NICE to me is below freezing ;D NEVER SUMMER!!! Ok maybe a month stretch in July. Gotta work on that farmer tan! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Tight lines and GO WYO!!!

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:18 AM »
Hey BigAl it was great to meet the both of you!!!  We stuck around until about 630 and packed it up.  Fish were moving in just as the glow on the horizon faded, but no takers.  Had one shoot straight up off the bottom like a rocket and I told myself, hold on buddy this ones attacking with a vengence. But wouldn't you know it, the darn thing went back down to the bottom as fast as it went up, and it didn't even bump my line!!! :%$#!: ??? At the end we caught two bows. nothing to write home about but no skunkage.  As always though, it was great being out there. Headin to the winter carnival at Boysen this weekend to wrangle up some fillets.  Don't know a destination yet, but might have to meet up with those crazies at Fremont! always down for a swillin coldbeer and whiskey :woot:. Hope the weather is NICE!!! NICE to me is below freezing ;D NEVER SUMMER!!! Ok maybe a month stretch in July. Gotta work on that farmer tan! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Tight lines and GO WYO!!!

Sounds like a good time to me.
 Maybe time to start finding some more spots on Pathfinder, seems the bite has just about stopped.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:34 PM »
I am headed to pathfinder tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:16 AM »
Im going back as well I think I will try back at Bishops then if that dry's up then I will head to the Dam if theres any ice left.  So, where are you guys getting you bait?

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:39 AM »
 VT, SLoan's ( the Sinclair Station ) in Alcova used to have minnows. I haven't fished Pahty for a few years. :tipup:

Wyo Ice

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Yeah do get them there. they are very large and 3.50 a doz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.