The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: aqua view or vex.  (Read 2770 times)

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
aqua view or vex.
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I know what I like but what do you guys prefer. the aqua vu or the vex. I prefer the vex but it sure is fun to watch them fish.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: aqua view or vex.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Vexilar!!!  Aqua-vu's are a big pain in the butt compared to Vex's

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Oh I got them both now

Offline fishermanbrian85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:49 PM »
i also did it backwards get the vex its fun to use the aqua vue with the young ones but the vex. is what i use

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Oh I got them both now

I ended up selling my camera, bought a Fish Trap Scout with the cash

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:56 PM »
I like my flasher much better because of its easy of use and versatility...That said, cameras are a great tool, just have theyre time and place.
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I ended up selling my camera, bought a Fish Trap Scout with the cash
ya I might end up selling the aqua view. i think i could get around 125 for it don't you guys?

Offline outdoor junkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's walleye time!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:02 PM »
I wouldn't part with either of them.  Both great tools.  But truthfully I use my camera more.  If set up in some sort of box with a tripod i also have a little wheel on the side of my box that you turn to take the camera up and down in the water.  It is no more of a hassle than the vex.

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:20 PM »
I truly love my vex,but have heard some positive feedback on the aqua views though...flagguy83 stop by and let me see your camera,I`ll make you a descent offer??? Is it a 60 or 100 footer?

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I wouldn't part with either of them.  Both great tools.  But truthfully I use my camera more.  If set up in some sort of box with a tripod i also have a little wheel on the side of my box that you turn to take the camera up and down in the water.  It is no more of a hassle than the vex.

Well said, but for those guys who like to fish in kinda muddy lakes they are not worth having but I my self am a perch man and I would take my camera out before I take the sonar. You can't see the fish with the hook in it's mouth with a VEX but a camera will tell ya when to set the hook  ;)2 .

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:38 PM »
If your into runnin and gunnin the the flasher is for you. If your the drill two holes and wait them out kind of guy then camera is great.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:47 PM »
You can't see the fish with the hook in it's mouth with a VEX but a camera will tell ya when to set the hook  ;)2 .

Vex all the way...You want to find fish a lot faster use the vex...Cameras are more entertaining that anything else. Oh and if you know what to look for on a vex you can pretty much tell when that fish has your bait in its mouth. I think a vex would be a lot more productive and less of a hassle to set up.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:56 PM »
the vex. doesnt matter if its dark out or cloudy water or to deep of water like cameras.plus ya dont have the tranducer of the vex 20 feet down like the camera

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Vex!!!

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Well put Dr.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Vex all the way...You want to find fish a lot faster use the vex...Cameras are more entertaining that anything else. Oh and if you know what to look for on a vex you can pretty much tell when that fish has your bait in its mouth. I think a vex would be a lot more productive and less of a hassle to set up.

You must not use a camera then cause there is no way that you can tell if the fish just has the bait in it's mouth or if it actually has the hook and the bait with a vex. A camera will help you wait out the fish until the hook is in it's mouth and on days where they bite super light it can mean the difference between 5 or 25 fish it can mean that much but I do agree that a sonar has it's place in ice fishing.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:17 PM »
On my vex theres a half inch target seperation so  the mark intenseity will increasy the closer the fish gets to my teardrop. What are the odds that a fish a half inch away isnt going to hit my bait? I have a buddy that has a aqua-vu we usually dont even bother to bring it with us anymore. I guarntee that a vex will catch fish 2-1 minnimum over a camera just because its WAY more portable.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:27 PM »
On my vex theres a half inch target seperation so  the mark intenseity will increasy the closer the fish gets to my teardrop. What are the odds that a fish a half inch away isnt going to hit my bait? I have a buddy that has a aqua-vu we usually dont even bother to bring it with us anymore. I guarntee that a vex will catch fish 2-1 minnimum over a camera just because its WAY more portable.

Nope sorry can't agree with that cause I see a minimum of say 20 bites are false hits out of say 50 where a fish holds the bait in it's mouth without the hook and then you pull up and scare the fish away where a camera will let you wait out the fish to actually bite the hook, there is no way this can be done with a vex. Like I have said there are times that a sonar is a must but there are other times when the camera will out perform the vex and I will just leave it at that.

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:29 PM »
I'd get a vex. if you want to watch tv stay home and knit a blanket

Offline RonSki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:30 PM »
  They both have their applications. The vex is for catching, but the camera is to learn why your NOT catching. This past weekend I was fishing with a friend at a lake we always catch huge perch out of, but we never catch a lot. We caught 7 between us before they "quit biting". Sunday I went back & brought my Dad. Flasher's lit up in every hole. Fish are following our baits all over, but not biting. This is how it always is here, then sometimes, they just come up off the bottom and bite. Well, no bites in 45 minutes. Water is kinda dirty here so I move up to 10 fow (we were catching them around 14 ft). Flashers lit up still but they still won't bite so I drop the camera down, downviewing. I expected to see all the perch that we've been fishing over for the last 2 days but instead, there's about 20 baby bass around my bait. I should mention that the only bait we can catch perch on here is the smallest jigging rap, perch color.  So I see all these bass down there and it all clicks, we've been trying to make these "perch" bite, when they aren't even there! Baby bass, 2 inches long, everywhere. We're fishing where the food is, not where the perch actually are. They come up there to eat and then go away. Just like deer coming to a crop field and bedding elsewhere. It makes sense. You CANNOT learn that with a vex.  I would leave the camera home if I had to but if I had to leave the vex at home, I'd stay home too. But, in instances like this, it's priceless. I was prepared to spend the whole day trying to catch those perch (cuz they're all 11+), but I would have been wasting my time. And when I cleaned the perch from the day before, I did find baby bass in their stomachs. You absolutely have to have a flasher to fish effectively, but the camera puts it all together sometimes.  And you can ALMOST tell when a fish has your bait in it's mouth with the vex, almost. Just because there's a fish that has merged with the line of your bait doesn't mean the fish is going to eat it. Unless you only fish prime times on private water and have aggressive fish. With a camera, you'd be able to see that bluegill has only half of your spike in it's mouth, and that's why you keep getting bites & can't hook them. Both have their applications, it's not a one or the other question for me....

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:33 PM »
id say vex, but I'm biased cuz i have never tried the aqua view
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline GFHFG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:34 PM »
sonar then the camera

marcum lx5 then the marcum color flatscreen camera ;D
Thankyou God for hunting and fishing

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:04 PM »
They both have there uses. I like them both.

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:19 PM »
the vex. doesnt matter if its dark out or cloudy water or to deep of water like cameras.plus ya dont have the tranducer of the vex 20 feet down like the camera

but i have seen them bite on camera and my ultra sensitive spring bobber never moved
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:21 PM »
ya them crappies sure bite soft. My friend has one and its nice to see whats under ya. Make sure your in the right terrain

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Ha Zonks completly agree with you!

Higgins lets put this to a test! ! !
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Nope sorry can't agree with that cause I see a minimum of say 20 bites are false hits out of say 50 where a fish holds the bait in it's mouth without the hook and then you pull up and scare the fish away where a camera will let you wait out the fish to actually bite the hook, there is no way this can be done with a vex. Like I have said there are times that a sonar is a must but there are other times when the camera will out perform the vex and I will just leave it at that.
Don't let the little fell get under your skin. LOL ;D ;D

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Ha Zonks completly agree with you!

Higgins lets put this to a test! ! !

If the test was fishing for perch in a nice clean lake than there would be no test it would just be me handing out an a## whoppin to another Vex punk  :laugh:  :laugh:  . Just joking cause nothing is a guarantee when it comes to fishing with or with out electronics.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Little fella? I guarntee I'm just as a good a fisherman as both of you if not better. I know what I'm doing and I have all the gear to do it.

I'm just saying theres no way a camera will help you catch more fish over a vex. With a vex you have so much more mobility on the ice. You dont have to drop down 10 feet of cord or more and then try to find your lure and watch how the fish reacts.

I'm really not trying to be an @$$ im just opinionated I guess.

I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Little fella? I guarntee I'm just as a good a fisherman as both of you if not better. I know what I'm doing and I have all the gear to do it.

I'm just saying theres no way a camera will help you catch more fish over a vex. With a vex you have so much more mobility on the ice. You dont have to drop down 10 feet of cord or more and then try to find your lure and watch how the fish reacts.

I'm really not trying to be an @$$ im just opinionated I guess.

WOW, calm down for a sec cause I'm not mad and I hope your not either cause this is just a thread and when it comes down to it every thing is an opinion and can not be proved 100% cause there are just too many variables when it comes to fishing. I have a Lowrance sonar and a Aqua vu and love them both for diffrent reasons and now I'm finally going to leave this thread at that. GOOD LUCK out there with what ever you choose to use  :thumbsup: .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.