Author Topic: Any good smoking recipes for brown trout?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline yourntreble

• IceShanty Rookie
Any good smoking recipes for brown trout?
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:26 PM »
I found some recipes online, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. I have never smoked fish before. Smoked just about everything else. Thanks for any input.

Offline Fish Tales

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Any good smoking recipes for brown trout?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Hi Yourntreble, I have a fantastic recipe for smoking fish. I use it for salmon all the time and it's the best I've ever tried. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the file. My E-mail is       [email protected]
Fish Tales
 <*}}}}}><

Offline yourntreble

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Thanks fish tales! I just e-mailed you... can't wait for your response. ;D

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:40 PM »
I smoked Kokanee salmon, rainbow and cutthroat trout when I lived in MT.  Always used the simple brine recipe that came with my Little Chief Smoker (by Luhr Jensen).  I think it was 1/2 cup noniodized salt, 1/2 cup sugar  (would have to check.... may have been 1 cup each.... am sure the recipe is online) added to 1 quart water.  Soak fish overnight then start smokin'em.  Sure it would work good on the browns.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

timberdoodle

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:42 PM »
I smoked Kokanee salmon, rainbow and cutthroat trout when I lived in MT.  Always used the simple brine recipe that came with my Little Chief Smoker (by Luhr Jensen).  I think it was 1/2 cup noniodized salt, 1/2 cup sugar  (would have to check.... may have been 1 cup each.... am sure the recipe is online) added to 1 quart water.  Soak fish overnight then start smokin'em.  Sure it would work good on the browns.

jjT

I use this basic brine myself except I use brown suger and just a bit of garlic. I mainly use it for stocked brookies and rainbows but I am sure it would work for browns. Time in the brine depends on the size of the fish. Then allow to dry and form the pellical on the outside. I hot smoke at around 200-250 for about 2 hours. Internal temp is around 130-140 I believe. I alway have to look it up.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:29 AM »
I just did 24 (10-12 inch fish) rainbows and one big breeder 24 incher, 1 cup of salt,1 cup brown sugar,1 gallon of water,1 table spoon of garlic powder,and a 1/2 cup of Cajun spices,use a s.s pot or a clean plastic bucket to brine fish in,and keep refrigerated for 24 hours,rinse fish off and let them air dry,them put in smoker.I just got a huge propane smoker w/ temp controll,I smoked this batch for 9 1/2 on 150 degrees and not to brag but they turned out great. 

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Brine it! okay so this is coming from a guy who has cooked alot of fish and cured alot to.

you can either to a wet brine or dry brine

for a 3-4lb brown trout

Dry Brine:  Fillets                                                     Wet Brine: Whole fish or filleted

rub a mixture of 3Tbsp Salt                                                        1/4c Salt 1/4c sugar     
                      3Tbsp sugar (brown, or white)                              1qt warm water
                      Dill to taste

Wrap in plastic wrap tightly and place between                        Mix ingredients together, put in
 two sheet pans with something heavy on top.                         container, place fish in and fridge it
Refrigerate 1-2days                                                              for 1-2 days. remove and smoke.
Smoke 150-165F for 20-30 min

Brining will help make your fish more moist, and will also help cure it giving it a longer shelf life, and removes fishiness. You can change these recipes up by adding you favorite flavors and spices, Garlic, Onion, hot peppers, honey and maple syrup (supstitute for sugar), etc.
As long as your salts and sugars are the same, it will always be good.
If you dont want to brine (although I advise it) just smoke it, smoked fish is good anyway.
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:27 AM »
the last one got all scrambled
but the 1/4cup sugar goes in the wet, you can prob figure it out
Tight Lines and Flags!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.