New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: What qualifies you to be a LURKER???  (Read 7654 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: What qualifies you to be a LURKER???
« Reply #90 on: Jan 16, 2009, 02:12 PM »
A remarkably lucid post for a ridiculous topic like this.
 :thumbsup:
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline witty1171

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Jan 16, 2009, 02:33 PM »
<----------Lurker :o

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Lurker ??   I've been a member since October 2004 and only have 68 posts. The problem is some folks post a million posts of complete BS to increase their post numbers and then are assuming others are lurking on this site. I read a lot of the posts for informational purposes, which is exactly what this site should be for. Now, instead of me getting the info I desire from a thread, I have to sift through 115 BS posts out of the 117 posts to get any info that is relavant. It's a shame sometimes to read the selfish ranting on this site which is exactly why my posting number is low. I refuse to stoop to the level of "gossiper / finger pointer". I have, on occasion, expressed my opinion but very rarely. This site is supposed to be a tool for all to become better icefisherpeople with the help of knowledge that others have already painstakingly gained. Why reinvent the wheel and make everyone suffer through the hardships of being blanked while out icefishing. Just share your tips and thoughts that you feel are relavant and keep the ones that aren't to yourself........amen.. ...

Agreed! ::)

I dont get all the "nice fish" replys to a thread and thats it. :-\

Sure ive done/said it once or twice over the time ive been here,but some members posts are mainly that. :-X

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #93 on: Jan 16, 2009, 06:50 PM »
he really has a dislike for socks.

I think it's more that he is afraid of them. I'm sure there are some shrinks who would like to discuss this with him.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Jan 17, 2009, 05:22 AM »
I would guess that the 34 Moderators here contribute thousands of views each day. We read a lot of stuff checking content etc.

We are champion Lurkers!

By the way...is that designation (Lurker) used on other sites? Or is it an endemic specie on IceShanty?

RG

Lurkers are only here--they're just non-contributing viewers anywhere else.

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #95 on: Jan 17, 2009, 05:51 PM »
we're all endemic species....that's for sure............speaki ng of lurkers....I was on the ice today (no mention where) and had a pile of gills on the ice when some folks walked by to see how the bite was...seen my pile...then, I'm sure by mere coincidence, set up about 15 feet from me....lol  ::)
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline walleyegrabber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:45 PM »
just like a lurker tell you were fishing not where no one cares about your secret little spot

Offline windbeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:16 AM »
I was on LG yesterday. All by myself in the middle of no where. The furthest fishermen from me were almost a dot on the horizon.  I have my back to the wind not paying attention and I hear some noise. Turn around and wouldn't you know it, two guys pulling sleds coming right at me.  Now this is LG, how miles of open ice and seclusion??  These two guys walk up to me, park there sleds and start drilling holes all round me in a circle.  Needless to say, their drilling shut the bite down and I ended up having to move.  There were a lot of things I wanted to say to them but held back.

Offline BobB257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:34 AM »
I found this site two years ago when we in CT were lucky enough to have some good ice and I was trying to get out as much as possible with my son. 
It was great to find others who liked the ice and the cold water fishery. 
That was my best year and my last hard core season.  I have three kids and the young one needs the details taken care of at home as much as the older ones did.  But I love to keep the feeling and like others Im sure, read about fishing if I cant go.  I am sure half of the 148 views are guys at work looking for a 5 min fix to a boring work week.
This year I signed up for two reasons.
I got the hang of pictures on another site, and I saw that in my area there was a shortage of guys who fished and posted. 
Most of what I know I learned on sites like this (Esp. Ice Safety) and then took to the field.  I am happy to share with a new guy who dosnt know. 
As for the rest of the folks, esp the ones who live in the areas that get ice every year, thanks for the new stuff to keep us dogs at work and  home from having to find "Other" stuff to pass the time when we cant go.
It is esp nice to be able to take a tour of the other States and see some cool fisheries in action.
Take a kid fishing, you just might learn a thing or two.

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Depending on which of the many definitions, I too am a "Member-Lurker."  I get on very often and check through the unread topics, if one interests me, I check to see if it is something I am interested in.  If it is not, I go back to the list....I didn't read any more than the first(or last) few replies and move on if I am not interested.   This counts as a view in the count...so to assume that every view is a "lurk" is not fair. 

Anyway, to repeat what has been said many times, I check conditions, and want to know how people are doing.  If I go out, I almost always post the conditions of where I was, and maybe even how I did.  If I see a thread that I have useful input on, I jump in.  Most of the time what I would say is already there, or is much better than what I would put in.  I am not an expert, and I do not catch alot of fish...a good day for me is five or six fish of any size.  I don't have electronics, I like my tip-ups, I like to sit and relax, and the fish are secondary.  Nine times out of ten, I release everything I catch.  I am always trying to improve my techniques, but I have not yet found my magic bullet, I will keep quiet. 

I guess what I am saying is that:

It is better to remain quiet and appear stupid(or a lurker), than to open my mouth and confirm it(stupid). 
I love a flag!!!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #100 on: Jan 18, 2009, 12:56 PM »
7 pages and we haven't come up with the qualifications to become a lurker.

I posted that just o get my post count up. Because when i go to work tommorow i tell everybody how many posts I have on this site, they all flock here and see if I am really telling the truth , which is why the guests count is allways so high. I'm sorry for that, but strangly I get some kind of amusement out it... I sometimes also just go in and out of a topic over and over viewing it just to put the view count through the roof, I'm evil.... I have these crazy thoughts all the time of just posting complete nonsense, much like this post. It's very rewarding in a sick way...

by the way

NICE FISH !!!!
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline BadgerFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 18, 2009, 04:23 PM »
I am currently a "Lurker" and proud of it!  I have not even made it on the ice in NY yet, but have been reading all of the comments to get information. I have no information to pass on NY lakes since I have lived in the state for a total of 4 months !!  Now if you want information on ice fishing in Vilas county Wisconsin, I can give out a lot of info about good spots to hit for eyes and pike (maybe even a couple of perch and crappie spots). That is where all of my ice fishing to date has occurred !!  Once I learn some of the lakes, then I am more than willing to share my info, but normally it will be shared only on the ice over a few tall ones !!  I am proud to currently be a lurker and would be even prouder to share info with new friends met through this site.  Ice fishing alone is not what it is all about to me.

2 more weeks in Georgia and then I can finally get on the ice !!!

Good luck and tight lines everybody !!!
GO Badgers !!

Offline Cold Inside

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:16 PM »
to become better icefisherpeople

I glanced at this thread and thought it a waste of time until I saw this.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #103 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:00 PM »

I just left a NICE FISH post for a guy lucky enough to catch his first laker. Thought I would stop over and see what you non lurkers were doing. ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:52 PM »
glad I can stroke an interest for you Cold Inside.....I certainly could not leave out the lucky ladies who also get to enjoy this insanity we call ice fishing (although I forgot our 4-legged friends...sorry)......puttin' my straightjacket on and going back for more.... ;D
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline Z-Ray

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "love them crappies"
« Reply #105 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:56 PM »
I am currently a "Lurker" and proud of it!  I have not even made it on the ice in NY yet, but have been reading all of the comments to get information. I have no information to pass on NY lakes since I have lived in the state for a total of 4 months !!  Now if you want information on ice fishing in Vilas county Wisconsin, I can give out a lot of info about good spots to hit for eyes and pike (maybe even a couple of perch and crappie spots). That is where all of my ice fishing to date has occurred !!  Once I learn some of the lakes, then I am more than willing to share my info, but normally it will be shared only on the ice over a few tall ones !!  I am proud to currently be a lurker and would be even prouder to share info with new friends met through this site.  Ice fishing alone is not what it is all about to me.

2 more weeks in Georgia and then I can finally get on the ice !!!

Good luck and tight lines everybody !!!
i to am a lurker when its put that way LOL  ::)! i got on this sight to lean a thing or two about ice fishing , conditions & also where the fish are being caught! i have little time to fish & don't want to waist allot of time driving from place to place to find the fish(my bad) 8)! after all i thought that's what this sight was for! to share & receive info! sorry to say this but i feel that there are a few tight group's that like to keep things between them self's & not others! i have posted things that i felt were impotent to me & got few replies with help :(! maybe that's what forced me to become a lurker? i try to be helpful when i can & would be glade to help a fellow fisherman-fisherwoman! please don't get me wrong i would not steel any info that was not for me! like gps locations posted for one person & then go fish them myself the next day or anything like that! just would like to meet some nice people to help me with the wonderful sport of ice fishing :)! lurker or not if we want a good futcure for our up coming sport of ice fishing we should work together & get along ;D :tipup:! happy fishing to all
R.E.J.

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Jan 18, 2009, 10:48 PM »
 ;D everyone that fished the partdridge run area after me and yahmon posted fishin there  ;) ;) ;)...get out and check some spots on yer own... ::) ::) ::)

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:52 AM »
glad I can stroke an interest for you Cold Inside.....I certainly could not leave out the lucky ladies who also get to enjoy this insanity we call ice fishing (although I forgot our 4-legged friends...sorry)......puttin' my straightjacket on and going back for more.... ;D
Didn't bother to go back and see the context this was posted in-sure I wasn't the only one who got a chuckle ::) Maybe should have been in another thread......... :whistle:

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #108 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:24 AM »
Lurkers...what a ridiculous word...-m still convinced that all you "non-lurkers" are gods gift and were born with all the info needed to be a professional ice fisherman.  Just make sure you keep your pockets zipped "non-lurkers", we wouldn't want your ego to fall in the hole when you kneel down to catch a fish that no one showed you how to catch.

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Lurkers...what a ridiculous word...-m still convinced that all you "non-lurkers" are gods gift and were born with all the info needed to be a professional ice fisherman.  Just make sure you keep your pockets zipped "non-lurkers", we wouldn't want your ego to fall in the hole when you kneel down to catch a fish that no one showed you how to catch.

I guess you better fish from now on without pockets on anything you wear.. There must have been something better than that you could come up with ::)  .... You've got all the answers and angles ... Spill the Beans !!! ... ::)

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Here's an answer for ya try using sharper hooks.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #111 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:14 PM »
well, some of the lurker definitions on this thread say i'm a lurker. i'm cool with that. i give as much info, and opinion as i can. ::) i look, and don't post. the best thing this site does for members, is the conditions board. we used to have to drive to find safe ice outside our area. now, i just come here.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:16 PM »
if  you  start  followin  me  aeround  bro   your  a  lurker

Offline Lurker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:03 PM »
I'm the real deal :o :o :o

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:11 PM »
Lurker,

That's classic.  Yóur a legend. Haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.