Author Topic: On Winni Yesterday  (Read 1647 times)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
On Winni Yesterday
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:01 AM »
We didn't let the snow deter us from getting out there, after luckily not being in the 50+ car pile up on 93 we made it to Meredith and hit AJ's for some bait and some advice and we headed right out from the public docks. I was really surprised to see so many Bob houses right next to the parking lot out on the ice. Is that just because the guys want to get them on the ice and haven't decided where they are going to move them to yet, or do they just stay right there? Anyways we took the gear and the 4 wheeler out about 1/2 mile next to 2 bob houses in Meredith bay. We had 1 early hit but didn't get it to the hole, ended up with 2 lakers one 18" the other 19". First lakers for either us ever so we were pretty happy. While jigging, Tom my fishing buddy, was just letting his jig go down to the bottom and a salmon hit it pretty hard, he reeled it up and saw that it was a salmon and it spit the jig out at the hole. He had a good laugh about that one, and dropped the jig down the hole again and the d**n salmon hit it again, again not knowing it was the salmon reeled him up and he spit it at the hole 1 more time. He certainly liked that jig to hit it 2 times in a row like that, but it definitely didn't like the hole.

Over all great day!!
-Scott

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
Re: On Winni Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:42 AM »
Congrats on the lakers Scott! Main access point onto winni such as meredith and alton bay get congested with shacks but some people enjoy that atmosphere, I for one set up in the middle of it all on alton. To me it not all about the fishing, I been ice fishing for almost 50 years and it is not the fish that keep me coming back it is the whole experience of families, friends and pets enjoying themselves on the ice and if I catch a fish, well that is a bonus. Have Fun, that's what matters.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Thansk River Rat,
I did enjoy myself, although I will tell you after drilling all those holes and moving around and around tending to the tip ups and jigging, I am pretty damn sore right now! I really did have a great time though and look forward to going again!

-Scott

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:06 AM »
I hear ya, I rarely go two days in a row anymore. Usually every other day is good, keeps the old lady happy and my bones happy too. ;D

Offline Boulderbronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:07 PM »
You said you were roughly 1/2mile up the bay from the docks?  Which side of the bay were you on?  How much ice did you have?

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:29 PM »
You said you were roughly 1/2mile up the bay from the docks?  Which side of the bay were you on?  How much ice did you have?

It was easily 10 inches where we were, some spots thicker than others. Im not that familiar with the lake to be honest, we were pretty much in the middle up past the hotel that is on your right if you leave from the public docks. There were 2 bob houses out there right near where we were. If you go on maps.google.com and do a satelitte view of Meredith. Along the bottom of the picture there is this stretch along the lake that doesnt have any houses and there are 2 boats in the water. We were about where the 2nd boat is with the smaller wake.

Offline Boulderbronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Nice.  Thats one of my favorite spots in the summer.  Bit Bass and Pike at the Meredith Marina.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:35 PM »
congrats on the lakers scott it wasn't that good when i first went out for lakers lol..

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:41 PM »
There were 2 bob houses out there right near where we were. If you go on maps.google.com and do a satelitte view of Meredith. Along the bottom of the picture there is this stretch along the lake that doesnt have any houses and there are 2 boats in the water. We were about where the 2nd boat is with the smaller wake.

That is a great place to slam lakers. I know exactly where you are. People have been slamming lakers there since Jan. 1st. We're on the other side of the bay from you. Just like Riverat stated.....during the derby, that area turns into a ZOO. There will be 13,043,128 million sleds zippin' by you. Derby time is quite a spectacle.

Good luck

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Scott D nice job.Did you say you went to massabesic a couple weeks ago ? Was there plenty of ice?

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Scott D nice job.Did you say you went to massabesic a couple weeks ago ? Was there plenty of ice?

Hi Wautuhguy,
Yes I was on Massabesic 2 weekends ago. I didnt catch anything, the ice though wasnt too bad, I am guessing it was 7 inches in the spot I was on. After going to Adrien's seminar on the Rock Expo, I may go back out there with the knowledge I have gained, its also a lot closer to me of course too. Of course the biggest problem with massabesic is you cant get any vehicles out on the ice to drag your gear. I was there maybe 15 minutes with my quad before I got "notified" of that.

-Scott

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:25 PM »
So... your first lakers... congrats to you!! Here's hoping you ice many more this season. Good luck.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.