Author Topic: Summit Lake Was A Good Time Today  (Read 1666 times)

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
Summit Lake Was A Good Time Today
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:43 PM »
 I had a great time today on Summit lake. I caught a lot of fish but had to sort to get 26 keepers, all on The Copper Head Jig. It was a perfect day with the temperature and lack of wind. As allways, a good time fishing with Sweedish Pimple and a pleasure to meet Captain Rick from Columbus Ohio. They got there early and really hammered the fish. Sorry I didn't take any pictures This time.

Tight Lines To All!!!

Jigginstick

Offline Hoosier Papaw

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Still lookin' for my avatar fish...
Re: Summit Lake Was A Good Time Today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:00 PM »
I had to leave right before you got there....was hopin' to say hi....maybe I'll catch ya' next time.

Stan

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:11 PM »
I'll be there more, now that we are going to get some COLD weather. And I am looking forward to meeting you also Hoosier Papaw

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:15 PM »
how was the ice?

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Thin 2 1/2" to 3", we were in the bays the lake IS NOT SAFE!!

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:25 PM »
i was on some thin ice myself today, wasn't deep water though. each time i drilled a hole, the ice would crack all the way across the pond, i was holding my breath alot!! does it crack like that on you?

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:34 PM »
When you drill ponds for the first time they do pop and jump around a little. Its like you relieve pressure or something when you first poke it. What you need to watch for is water to start showing up around your hole, If this starts happening it means the ice is bowing to your weight. On thin ice allways wear safety picks around your neck and take a buddy, but don't get to close to each other. Be careful and use good judgement, ice fishing is fun but its not worth your life!

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:00 PM »
i was definitely getting water coming up the hole, thought maybe it was the weight of the snow, there was about 1.5 ins. on top. i was being safe just wanting to know how thin ice acted, it was around 2.5 ins. even with pics , buddies, etc. I'm not venturing out on ice that thin,

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:20 AM »
Thin ice is a lil freaky.  I have  done it before myself.  I have seen guys standin in a puddle 3in deep on thin ice!!  When water is comin out of the holes it is time to go!   Be careful out there

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:22 PM »
If ya get enough water on top you can break out the baitcasters and throw buzz baits. LOL

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Fished Summit a couple weeks ago-day afte x-mas- thunderstorms and rain. Anyway I drilled a hole and before I knew it had created a whirlpool. Caught lots of fish, but moved after too much water. Went back over after an hour or so and it had sucked tree branches and other stuff into it. Looked like a continous toilet flushing. Stood four or five foot away and pitched my jig into it, but kept spinning my line around sticks and stuff. Then my mother in law called and ask if I was coming home to watch my kids? I took that as a sign to leave. So I did, sorry no point to this story.
Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.