Author Topic: Tips Needed to Ice Fish NH Lakes  (Read 638 times)

Offline nvonice

• IceShanty Rookie
Tips Needed to Ice Fish NH Lakes
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:09 PM »
My dad has been going to the Lake Winnipesaukee Ice fishing derby for the last 10 years. Every year I hear how him and 6 other guy don't catch but 4 fish in those 10 years of ice fishing the derby.  My wife bought me a ticket to go to the derby this year to join my dad and have a great time.  I'm from Boise Idaho and ice fish often.  I mainly use wax worms and jigs to catch trout and perch on 4 diffrent lakes in Idaho.  Idaho's fishing regs do not allow the use of live minnows or smelt.  I could use some help on how to rig up live bait and if wax worms are something that is used in NH.  My main reason to go to the derby is to spend some time with my dad, but as a fisherman I love the feeling of a tight line at the end of my pole.

Thanks

NVONICE

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tips Needed to Ice Fish NH Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:00 PM »
All depends what type of trout you're after... I'd suggest fishing for lakers if you just want the opportunity for bigger fish and a fair chance at getting decent numbers. White perch can also be had and to me are much better table fare. I'd suspect your techniques with a wax worm would work for our white perch, though I have never tried that technique.
For both lakers and perch, you can easily rig a tipup with smelt. Use a size 8 hook through the back of the smelt (by the dorsal fin). Use somewhere around 8 pound leader material. A small swivel between your leader and your braided ice line will help. Have the smelt set so that it is about 1 to 3 feet off the bottom. This is a good starting location for both species. As with everything, find the depth and structure the fish are on and then drill a bunch of holes.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.