Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 228992 times)

Offline Bath

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #840 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Anyone been out on dog lake recently? Generally speaking how are the ice conditions?

Going to try my luck for some crappie this weekend despite the cool temperatures (compared to the two previous years at this time). Going to be targeting some of the deeper weed lines and staging areas

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #841 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I was on Dog on sunday and there was 26 inches of ice, but no splake where harmed in my group.
Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #842 on: Nov 19, 2014, 02:59 PM »
As we get closer to hardwater season, now is the time to check your gear and get things ready. Changing the oil on your auger, sharpening blades, getting your winter tackle sorted out, checking your portable electronics, charging batteries, etc.  better to start geeting things ready now before the weather turns to -20*C!

Talk to you all soon.

Don

aka Leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #843 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:49 PM »
As we get closer to hardwater season, now is the time to check your gear and get things ready. Changing the oil on your auger, sharpening blades, getting your winter tackle sorted out, checking your portable electronics, charging batteries, etc.  better to start geeting things ready now before the weather turns to -20*C!

Talk to you all soon.

Don

aka Leviathan_slayer
You said it. If it wasn't for this stretch of warm weather forecast for early next week I think we would be on the ice here before Dec which would be a first for me. Still, probably going to be an early one, iam guessing small shallow lakes and protected bays on big lakes will have walkable ice the first week to 10 days of dec. Not all lakes of course but there are always lakes that ice up first.
Having said all that the boat is still out and ready to go, I would love to have a weekend where I was in the boat one day then on the ice the next.
@jzuliniak

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #844 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:33 PM »
JZ, did just that about 8 years ago on 3rd depot fishing walleye on Jan. 7th from a boat than two weeks later fishing the same spot on the ice. Bring on the cold weather it would be great to be on the ice in another couple of weeks, all my gear is ready and I'm .driving the wife crazy.

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #845 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:02 AM »
you wanna talk about driving the wife crazy.....lol  i get yelled at weekly because its almost ice fishing season.   i get reminded that its another day shes stuck at home with the kids.  but she gets told shes more then welcome to come along.  but wont.    i normally just say be thankfully i only go once or twice a week and don't play hockey 3 times a week and get tanked in the parking lot after like her friends other half's.    i took a couple pitchers down and put up rod holders in the living room so i can star at my ice rod collection all year.  she still hasn't  figured out how to  chew my head off about that one yet.   

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #846 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:36 PM »
you wanna talk about driving the wife crazy.....lol  i get yelled at weekly because its almost ice fishing season.   i get reminded that its another day shes stuck at home with the kids.  but she gets told shes more then welcome to come along.  but wont.    i normally just say be thankfully i only go once or twice a week and don't play hockey 3 times a week and get tanked in the parking lot after like her friends other half's.    i took a couple pitchers down and put up rod holders in the living room so i can star at my ice rod collection all year.  she still hasn't  figured out how to  chew my head off about that one yet.
she will brother she will lol.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #847 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:47 PM »

Remember in the rush to get out on the lakes when they freeze, keep in mind these basic guidelines for ice thickness.

Safe lives to fish another day!

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #848 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:58 AM »
First time logged in for the season, and anxiously await the ice also. Boat is sleeping, and although JZ snuck out in his yesterday, It's too damn cold!!!! LMAO. I'm ready for my nice toasty warm hut!!! Come on ICE!!!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #849 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:24 PM »

Remember, be safe this ice fishing season!

Don

Aka leviathan_slayer

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #850 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:44 PM »
anybody been on any back lakes in the Kingston area who can shed some light on the conditions ???

herd of some ppl out on salmon lake near Frontenac provincial park for some crappie and its been good I here .....  they say 6" and in some spots 8"

I haven't been out yet at all so I cannot verify that

hope everyone stays safe this year and use caution going out on unfamiliar ice

Rob
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #851 on: Jan 05, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Rob, I've been out a couple times on a few different back lakes within the last couple weeks..but always checking. Not much action. But this cold spell should tighten things up nicely. I'm on loughborough and it's looking good. Saw somebody out there Saturday but didn't look good to me. After a two day deep freeze, maybe tomorrow. I'm not going first. For sure by the weekend...and its last to freeze around here if that gives you any idea.

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #852 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:42 PM »
thanks BigBassMan I drive by lobo every night and stop by to look to see if anyone is out .... always said when lobo freezes and theres ppl out there then I know most of the well known back lakes are safe.. didn't notice too many boys out there tonight when I was coming home lol.... going to try bass lake north of Parham for some eyes with a buddy from work on sat,,,, then Collins with a good friend of mine for some pike and crappie action.. he just got a hut and he cant wait to put It on the lake

My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #853 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Hey Kamaro, how are you getting on Bass lake via the gated cottage rode or is there another way, I have fished it once many moons ago in the spring and did all right would like to give it a go when I am at the cottage on Eagle this winter.

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #854 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Pierced lip, I have to ask, do you fish the whities on eagle through the ice? My friends and I tried several times last year and came up empty but lost a few fish which leaves us interested...

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #855 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:33 PM »
hey pierced lip ....

my buddy has a trailer down by the chalet that's there so he has axis down past the farm house I guess..   I know the road crosses the track bed or the snowmobile trail if that helps
My Wife

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #856 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:39 PM »
I have found  fishing for white fish to be slow and luck is my only secret, the locals that fish Parham landing can be as tight lipped as the fish. All I can say is put in the time in and you may get lucky. Where the cottage is has some big pike and the odd laker that gets put back right away been on the lake for 15 years and still trying to figure the white fish out but when I do I will let ya know. Thanks Kamaro think I have put in at that chalet with a friend of a friend across the old railway line/drive way.

Offline Jackster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #857 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Hey guys , I am new to posting but often follow your information on fishing and find it very helpful. Has anyone been out on Lake Opinicon for crappies yet this year?

Offline Dirtus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #858 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:13 AM »
hi guys, I'm Andy from Kingston and im an ice fishing junkie :) have been out a few times on dog this year , the night crappie bite has been just ok , heading to quinte tomorrow, let you know how we make out on our return.

Offline nofishnoluck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #859 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:31 AM »
hey guy's.

Anyone know ice conditions for verona lake and area or a good place for crappie? i'm itching to get out but would like ice conditions for lakes out near verona or a good place to ice fish for crappie thanks for any help or information

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #860 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Well this weekend coming it will be time to drill some holes and drop some lines.  I will be out on Verona Lake and if anyone is out that way just look for the big in camo.

Ciao for now!

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #861 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:53 PM »
hey Don, you being from the area I am going to take my 2 children for some perch this weekend and was thinking of 1st depot, is the fishing better in rock(Verona) or 1st ?

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #862 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Thomas, I was in Verona Tuesday after work, 12" of ice, I had my truck out there.  Not much luck though.

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #863 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:57 AM »
I hope to get out to Draper or upper rock this weekend.  Does anybody know if they have been stocked lately?

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #865 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I couldn't access that link, but I found this:

http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_online/fishing/fishingExplorer_en.html

apparently they stocked 10400 splake in 2014.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #866 on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Hey Pierced Lip, Verona is much better for perch than 1st Depot. The best spot for perch is right off of Water Street in the bay about 100 yards from shore. I will be out Sunday morning around 9am - if you see a big guy in Camo that is me. Will be glad to show a few of the better spots. Cheers!

Tight lines to everyone!!

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #867 on: Jan 18, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Hey leviathan, do you have any minnows?   I am heading but want to catch some pike today without having to drive out to battersea first...

Offline robebrz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #868 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:20 AM »
How much snow are you guys seeing up there. I will be headed up towards Plevna in a couple weeks for a camping and fishing trip.  The snow last year really slowed us down as we didn't bring snow machines only ATVs. Just trying to plan ahead a little better. Also how much ice are you seeing on the back country lakes?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #869 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Well Verona Lake is quite active with pike and perch. Getting them to bite is a little challenging but they are there. Heading out again tomorrow for some more fun on the ice. Some stills taken from my underwater camera.

Tight lines to all!!!

Don

aka leviathan_slayer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.