Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 229188 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #660 on: Jan 25, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Hey Tight Line,

As jigncraw mentioned I have a propane powered auger and it works great regardless of the temperature. I also purchased the attachment that will allow me to refill the 1lb propane bottles a couple of times before disposing them. Will save a little $ and the landfill.

As for gas powered augers jigncraw's advice is good. Make sure you use premium fuel. Using seaform also prolongs the life and reliability of the auger. There are some good models out there and I would look to buy this year's model of Jiffy or Eskimo. They keep adjusting and updating their technology. Other models are good as well but I would read the reviews by users before buying any of them.

As for me I am hooked on propane and have sold my other augers!

All the best and ciao for now.

Don

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #661 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Heading out the door to pick up some minnows and then off to Verona Lake. I hear the fish calling our names!

Ciao for now and will let you know how he day goes!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #662 on: Jan 26, 2013, 03:31 PM »
No shortage of fish today. Although the bite was slow it was steady throughout the day. Some good sized pike and perch being caught. Watched a pike attack and devour a perch on the Aqua-Vu - amazing speed! Anyway hope everybody's ventures out on the ice were productive.

Ciao for now.

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #663 on: Jan 26, 2013, 03:34 PM »
To Team Ice Shanty!

Ciao do now.

Don

Offline weaver84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #664 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:25 PM »
i also bought a rapala nitro ice drill this year i works great have had no issues. started in minus 30 easy on fuel. guess around 60 holes to a tank and 33lb weight. i have been out about ten times have not been skunked yet i did go to rock and secound with no luck but stoped in inverary and had no prob that lake takes a beating in the winter but tons off pike not bad perch and now around one ft ice.

Offline weaver84

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes ice hut brake ins
« Reply #665 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:29 PM »
people have broken into a hut on inverary lake in the past week cleaned it out so i have herd. if you have a hut around this area you may want to keep a close eye. and to the theaves i really hope to catch ya at mine.  hope all are haveing a good fish

Offline TRYZ2FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #666 on: Jan 26, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Might try inverary tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. Good thing my 6x10 hut is mobile. Ill just take it on and off

Offline Possum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #667 on: Jan 26, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Not just ANY premium gas; Shell V-Power only!  Zero% ethanol.  Buddy and I have identical augers (Jiffy 3400STX 10", which we both think are great) and I run V-Power.  I can drill 1 or 2 holes while he's still wanking on his pull-start.  I am NOT exagerating!!  Right GeeMan?

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #668 on: Jan 27, 2013, 11:47 AM »
i also bought a rapala nitro ice drill this year i works great have had no issues. started in minus 30 easy on fuel. guess around 60 holes to a tank and 33lb weight.
You will get more than 60 holes per tank, I just got one this year and iam at about 100 holes this year and still half a tank of gas left.
@jzuliniak

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #669 on: Jan 27, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Well started off to go to Loughborough Lake but it was really busy. So headed out to Verona again. Was a slow day but productive. Caught a few pike - saw 2 pike "hunting" as a pair on the camera - cool. Both my son, our buddy Jerry and I caught fish. Others around us were not as lucky. Overall this weekend was great for fishing. A good 13" of ice on the lake.

Hope others are having good luck on the ice as well.

Ciao for now.

Don

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #670 on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:28 PM »
Nice Pike! Gawd id like to get into some snot rockets like those!

Offline weaver84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #671 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:39 PM »
for pike a decent spot to try is collins lake or right across the road inverary lake. not sure of ice on collins but seen a truck out on inverary today.both good pike ,perch crappie can be found along with musky if your lucky enough    ill be out on inverary tomorrow morning farthest hut from shore seems to be good perch, closest hut good pike  good luck to all

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #672 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Im really interested in ice conditions north of kingston.  Anyone been out since the big melt?

Offline Possum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #673 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:24 PM »
Was on Sharbot.  Rains did NOTHING to the ice except make it super slippery.  Snow today will help that, though.

Offline weaver84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #674 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:25 PM »
ice is still decent in most spots just watch for currents seen people on collins and inverary today. yesterday they still had trucks on inverary just spud and you should be safe any one heading out tomorrow never hurts to have other fisherman near bye

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #675 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:04 AM »
Inverary Lake, that's what some people tell me is Little Collins.
Had lots of small pike there one year. Not been back for a while.
Is the only access to the lake off of 12?

Got bad-stuck, pulled up on the side of the road last time.

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #676 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:50 AM »
The only way I know to get on is off moreland dixon do you guys still pay when you go on inverary in the winter? if so is it the house right beside the access point? Fished collins lots but not inverary know guys that do ok there tho

The fishing is definitely worse then last year this time hoping it will start to pick up again soon

despite the brutal fishing Ive managed a few decent fish but also had a few days that were just a waste going out

Got my first backlake walter through the ice just under 5 lbs in early Jan

Tons of lil dinky pike like this to keep the skunk away but no monsters since first ice still a fun fight especially playing with them on the fish tv

and a good day of fishing for the table with this bag of nice clean jumbos (All between 9 and 13')

Still need to get out for some trout maybe this weekend
SEOO

Offline celeste032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #677 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Hey guys, new to the Kingston area. But from all the great information given on the thread looks to be some great fishing. Thanks for all the great tips and fishing hot spots, I am going to have to try them all out. Keep up the great work, glad to see so many fishing enthusiast in one place. Good luck and stay safe.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #678 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Nice 'eye SEOO, they are few and far btw in the backlakes, lets hope in 3 or 4 yrs time the new slot regs changes that.
@jzuliniak

Offline mattgreen49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #679 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Hi i just joined this site lived around kingston my hole life has any one been on buck lake yet this year

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #680 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:48 PM »
I don`t think many people fish Buck lake anymore.....If they are lake trout fishing most people go to the west end of
lorbourough lake.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #681 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I am thinking of trying Draper Lake in the AM,  anybody been there this year?  It used to be good for Splake a few years back.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline mattgreen49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #682 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:58 PM »
I was at draper last week got one little one lost two the bite was slow we went to rock and pounded them it was non stop good ones to.

Offline mattgreen49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #683 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:28 PM »
I am look at buying a under water camera what is the best one to buy?

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #684 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Mattgreen49

I have both an Aqua-Vu Z series and the newer Aqua-Vu micro. Both cameras are great - as a matter of fact many of the cameras on the market today are great. What you should consider is buying one that has recording capability. As well, if you are going to use it during spring/summer then look for one that has a good sun shield and accessories for trolling from a boat. The technology keeps improving each!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #685 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Headed out to Loughborough Lake today. Fishing was a little slow but marked fish and watched them come up to the bait. Bit of a snow squall blew in the afternoon. Cut fishing short to get home for the Super Bowl! Go Ravens Go!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #686 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:00 PM »
hey don,

Nice pic,

Just a question...... you trying to heat the whole outside.... Im just kidding....
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #687 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Hey MegaRam,

Good one! We were trying to heat up the fishing today - Hahahahaha. We have been doing a lot more lake hopping this year than in previous years. Next week going to try out Deseronto for some walleyes!

Take care and good luck on the ice!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #688 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:56 PM »

A mouth only a pescatorial dentist could love!

Don

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #689 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Well, I have all my gear ready to go.  I have been checking out some of the lakes on Google Earth and the MNR site.  Was looking at Inverary and Collins lakes. 

I dont have a sled and will just be walking and pulling my gear.  Can anyone tell me the best place to park and access both of these lakes?

Also, I know Verona has a boat launch and I would guess that is the best place to get on from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.