Author Topic: Great Bay report  (Read 2316 times)

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
Great Bay report
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Well finally moved the Shanty onto the ice last night from Lenny's in Newington.  There was only one other shanty out there on the ice, but I just went down and checked and now there are 3 more.  There is also a good clustering of them over by the golf course, but not being a Greenland resident I've never been down there.

Cut into the ice and was surprised that it was almost a foot before I hit water.  There is about 6-8" of ice and then 6-4" of snow ice on top.

Let me know if anyone makes it out there, I won't be able to actually do any fishing until Sunday.

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
Re: Great Bay report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Lugged the rest of my gear out for the first time.  Snow was about 8" deep.  Fished from 10am-6pm.  No bites or anything on incoming tide.  Same with slack tide.  Finally got some bites right around dusk at 4:30pm and caught 12 smelt total.  We were only about 24-30" off the bottom, left once the shanty was about a foot off the bottom around 6ish.

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Hit Oyster river yesterday.  Got there at about 10:45 and fished til 4.  We didn't even get a bite, nobody around us did either.
Heard reports of a few caught earlier in the day.

Saturday my buddy fished Great Bay - he was there for long time.   No hits for hours, then with just a few feet of water below him he managed to pull out 30.

I'm new to smelt fishing - is it better at both places on an incoming tide?

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:55 PM »
incoming is always better cause if the schools come through and you get some you know they are going back by on the out going lol

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Fished Thursday night and Sunday morning without much luck.  Lots of folks talking about catching tons of them over at Suds n Soda, but I haven't seen anyone in person out at Lenny's with much success.  I guess there must be something magical out by the golf course.

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Great bay on saturday afternoon we got 50 on the incoming.  We parked at Thomas' place, pulled the portable out at noon ( low tide ).  Cut our holes and when we punched through, the ice was on mud.  It was a three hours before we had enough water to fish in.  Action lasted about an hour, maybe an hour and half and like I said we caught 50. 

We stayed through the high tide and fished the outgoing.  We got one every once in a while after high tide.  With about 2 feet of water left, we packed up.  Final tally was 60.  If they eat as good as my partner says then please pray for me with my new addiction - also pray for my wife and kids  :o

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:00 AM »
Fished Thursday night and Sunday morning without much luck.  Lots of folks talking about catching tons of them over at Suds n Soda, but I haven't seen anyone in person out at Lenny's with much success.  I guess there must be something magical out by the golf course.

those people you see over by the golf course are going on at emerys i heard lenny got no ice last year so everyone had to fish over there.

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:52 AM »
Last year Emery would only let Greenland residents launch there. This year he is charging $100 for the season, lol. It's a walk but I would make it from Thomas' to avoid giving him any money.

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:42 AM »
High tides around 8:30 tonight so figured I'd head over after work and fish the incoming tide and stay until around 11:00pm.

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Last year Emery would only let Greenland residents launch there. This year he is charging $100 for the season, lol. It's a walk but I would make it from Thomas' to avoid giving him any money.
You figure it costs $5 to launch at Thomas' and then $2 to park, you'd have to go out close to 50 times a year to make that up from Emery's.  Plus a lot of the time the other folks I'm with will kick in the $2 anyways. 

Funny thing is, fish and game always seems to park at Thomas' anyways!  You'd figure they'd park over by Emery's since they have some sort of deal with that farm down that way.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:02 PM »
its no deal, fish and game owns almost all of that place thats why i dont understand how he is charging for launching there.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:26 PM »
I am heading down to River rd tonight for the first time this year to try this smelting thing out.

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:40 PM »
How you gonna do it pipes?shanty? or drilling?

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Ill be siting on a bucket

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:56 PM »
There are around 20 shanties out there now.I dont think theyve been killin em but i dont think people would keep dropping shanties if they were getting skunked.Ill probably swing by. I got some bait on its last days.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I walked over to emerys from the retreat one day to see my father inlaw, and when i got over there, they both had  5 gallon buckets full, and they had there lines pulled in the hole so they only had 6 inches of line out, and the smelt were coming in the hole and they were catching them, it was funny as hell.

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:04 AM »
Got skunked, was there from 6-11pm, not a bite.  Tons of cars parked at Lenny's, but no one I ran into had caught anything either.  Everyone else was gone around 8ish.  High was at 8:30.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:46 AM »
We got 16 between the two of us on River rd from 430 to 1030ish but it was fun to be out

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:48 AM »
This is just a little smelt fishing tip, right around now you should start seeing people on the side of the road selling native shrimp real cheap, now is a good time to buy a lot of shrimp and freeze some for the summer ahead.

when you buy the shrimp they come with the heads still atatched,and sometimes covered in eggs this is a good thing. take them home and peel the shrimp raw and save all of the waste, like the head and stuff and put it in some sort of mesh bag.
and then take your mesh bag of goodness smelt fishing.

we used to use a spare jigging pole to hang the chum bag from, and tie up the mesh bag. just hang bag right below hole and shake every once in a while or haul it in and step on it to mash the shrimp up.

This should bring them in and hold them for you.

Offline xp600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:13 AM »
nice tip - will have to try that.  Thanks James.

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Good tip! Gotta love shrimp cocktail...
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Good tip! Gotta love shrimp cocktail...

and they taste like shrimp should taste like, not those farm raised ones like they sell at demoulas.

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:41 PM »
Yeah, I was doing that last night, still no luck.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:50 PM »
This is just a little smelt fishing tip, right around now you should start seeing people on the side of the road selling native shrimp real cheap, now is a good time to buy a lot of shrimp and freeze some for the summer ahead.

when you buy the shrimp they come with the heads still atatched,and sometimes covered in eggs this is a good thing. take them home and peel the shrimp raw and save all of the waste, like the head and stuff and put it in some sort of mesh bag.
and then take your mesh bag of goodness smelt fishing.

we used to use a spare jigging pole to hang the chum bag from, and tie up the mesh bag. just hang bag right below hole and shake every once in a while or haul it in and step on it to mash the shrimp up.

This should bring them in and hold them for you.

good info, i dont like to give all the clues on the net , however now that you did i have to agree  ;D good info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.