New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Irondequoit Bay  (Read 4801 times)

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy life. No one gets out alive.
Irondequoit Bay
« on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:46 AM »
Has anyone been on the Bay in the last couple days? Can you get on the South end by the Rod & Gun Club?

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Irondequoit Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Has anyone been on the Bay in the last couple days? Can you get on the South end by the Rod & Gun Club?
Look in the reports and conditions thread.People are reporting dailey about I-Bay.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:41 AM »
Thanks I'll check it out. New to this site still figuring how to navigate it
You will have to have five posts before the reports and conditions thread will be visible.Two more to go.Welcome to this very informative site.
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

Offline bassmaster#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:25 AM »
           Hey im not sure if they are i drove over the bay bridge this morning and i didnt see any one on it.. not even in the little cove right next to the bridge on the irondequoit side. but the south end has been frozen over for about a week now so i imagine that there will be some people venturing out there this weekend.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:50 AM »
but the south end has been frozen over for about a week now so i imagine that there will be some people venturing out there this weekend.
Be very careful!  If there is no one fishing there, it is usually a sign the the ice is not safe yet.  There are typically a bunch of guys who push there luck with 2 inch ice.  If they are not out there, I wouldn't even try...

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Post one more response KAJABA.  Just respond "OK" to this.  Then you will have five posts and can access the daughter boards showing conditions all over the state.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:49 PM »
The Irondequouit Bay thread can be found here:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=112175.120;topicseen

Alas, no good reports.  All the snow is really slowing down the ice production.

Offline fisherman1939

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JIG...JIG...JIG...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:28 AM »
  There is 4 inches of slushy crude on top of the ice, guys are fishing north end behind bayside bar. south end had a guy out in front of the old docks by gun club. the shallow water is good, but deeper water is not safe yet in my opinoin.next weekend should do it for south end after this cold snap comes through this weekend. stay safe, fish smart.

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Looks like I'll be checking it out next weekend. Certainly don't want to sink the 4 wheeler. Gotta be smart not sorry.

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Post one more response KAJABA.  Just respond "OK" to this.  Then you will have five posts and can access the daughter boards showing conditions all over the state.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady
OK Thanks Grady

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:59 PM »
welcome to the shanty Kajaba!
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:17 AM »
welcome to the shanty Kajaba!
Thanks

Offline fishingpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:54 AM »
wow everyone is great on this site im also new and am gunna try my luck on braddock if the bay isnt froze over
Keep your worm in the water and your eye on the prize.

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:18 AM »
wow everyone is great on this site im also new and am gunna try my luck on braddock if the bay isnt froze over

Braddocks is fun. There is tons of parking and there are really big perch here. The big perch are usually right on the bottom. We target them with tips ups and tip downs. Get some smaller minnows or bass minnows and get the live bait about 2" off the bottom. Get out early and set up on the weed breaks that form kind of a boat channel. If you fish 2 feet down use bass or pike minnows for the pike. Use smaller hooks and the bait swims more and lives longer. We use really small trebles for perch and pike. The biggest pike of the year is caught in and around the boat docks. The biggest perch are usually off the first point.

Offline chuei

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Braddocks is fun. There is tons of parking and there are really big perch here. The big perch are usually right on the bottom. We target them with tips ups and tip downs. Get some smaller minnows or bass minnows and get the live bait about 2" off the bottom. Get out early and set up on the weed breaks that form kind of a boat channel. If you fish 2 feet down use bass or pike minnows for the pike. Use smaller hooks and the bait swims more and lives longer. We use really small trebles for perch and pike. The biggest pike of the year is caught in and around the boat docks. The biggest perch are usually off the first point.
   good tips andy   thats usually how we do best   

Offline chuei

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Thats how we usaally do best right on the bottam good tips Andy

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:44 PM »

I fished Braddocks Saturday afternoon. Caught 3 blue gills 2 keepers and one 171/2" Northern jiggin with spikes.Were do you find 2' of water at Braddocks unless you go out about 500 yards. Fished all day Sunday 4 dink perch. Fished South end of Irondequoit today 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. about 4" of ice couple trickey spots near the shores and near the pilons by the game club. Saw a couple extra large holes. Looks like some one went involuntary swimming. Stick to the path and you'll be o.k. Very slow bites all day ended up with 7. 8-10" perch. It can only get better.

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Were do you find 2' of water at Braddocks . Looks like some one went involuntary swimming. \

What I meant was put you bait about mid depth. In Braddocks thats about 2 feet under the ice. I posted about a scanner call earlier in the week on Irondequoit for a fisherman in the water. I hear tell it was at the south end. I also hear he was taken to Rochester General and treated for exposure.

Offline jayman72

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bad day of fish'n is better then a good day @ work
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:07 AM »
went over the bridge this morning and there had to be 6-8 groups/clams out on the south end, in front of the gun club.  Went all the way across to the east side, almost in a line.  I am sooooooooo ready to fish and yet so nervous about falling in.  Took a splash knee deep in 2008 right in front of the boat launch between marina and the gun club.  That was a little scary  :o needless to say! 
Any day of fish'n is better then any day @ work

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:54 AM »
Irondequoit still has only 3-4". Warm weather comming isn't going to make it any better. Should stay cold enough at night to keep what we have, I just hope it doesn't get soft. Fished all day yesterday. Better than the day before, but still not great. Got 3 or 4 around 11-12" mostly 8 -10". Went home with a dozen. Caught a bunch of dinks 4-5" and some Silver Bass. They all go back in the hole.
Braddocks fishermen must be fishing the south west end by that creek mouth to get any water depth. I tried the north west end last weekend and have to get new blades for my gas auger now from hitting all the dirt and rocks right under the ice

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:26 PM »
Lots of guys all over Iron Bay. They was a couple of groups near the bouys at the north end. I was waving at them from my spot. How did the bouy boys do?

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:32 AM »
any new reports me and my brother just got back up to school at brockport and are ready to fish, any info or tips on where the fish are would be greatly appreciated

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:27 PM »
any new reports me and my brother just got back up to school at brockport and are ready to fish, any info or tips on where the fish are would be greatly appreciated
Take a look at the Irondequoit Bay thread on the New York Reports and Conditions forums.

With the warm weather and rain though, there might not be much safe ice right now.  If was very limited (mostly the NE cove) before the rains came through.

Offline jjure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:44 AM »
did anyone fish off the rod and gun club recently

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:51 AM »
THERE'S NO SAFE ICE ON THE SOUTH END OF IRONDEQUOIT BAY!

Sorry for yelling...just wanted to make sure everyone heard me.
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:14 AM »
Thank You, some people are hard of hearing.

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:26 AM »
I heard ya

Offline soduswaternut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:47 AM »
THERE'S NO SAFE ICE ON THE SOUTH END OF IRONDEQUOIT BAY!

That's still not enough because some people still think there not mortal, or go there knowing there going to get wet and think that an ice rescue or recovery by the police is OK. Thanks RG for TRYING to stop the stupid people from dying, but like the saying goes " You can lead a horse to water but .... you can't make him drowned after he falls threw THIN ice"

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:52 AM »
  That's still not enough because some people still think there not mortal, or go there knowing there going to get wet and think that an ice rescue or recovery by the police is OK. Thanks RG for TRYING to stop the stupid people from dying, but like the saying goes " You can lead a horse to water but .... you can't make him drowned after he falls threw THIN ice"

It's also known as the theory of de-evolution, ;D or, thinning the herd!
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:58 AM »
It's also known as the theory of de-evolution, ;D or, thinning the herd!

I drove by the south end this am. The water has spread out over  most of the south end. More so on the west shore. IMHO if anyone tries fishing the south end w/o a boat you're a fool. Water water every where. You really can't tell if it's water over the ice or open water. Who want's to be the  bravest of us all and go for a walk out on the south end? Any Takers? ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.