The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: How long in a hole?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline wilkintj

• IceShanty Rookie
How long in a hole?
« on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:21 PM »
How long do y'all spend in a hole that's not producing (assuming you don't have any electronics to tell you whether there's fish there or not)?  I haven't done alot of ice fishing and I think I might be spending too much time at the same hole that's not producing instead of moving on to try some place else.  I usually send the jig down to the bottom and then slowly work my way to the top one crank at a time, jigging a few minutes at each turn of the reel to see if there's anything at that depth.  Once I get to the top, I drop it down and start again. 

Offline quiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Does it really stink in here!
Re: How long in a hole?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Once you get to the top if you dont change your lure move to the next hole.

Offline icecaptain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:26 PM »
if your not using electronics dont spent more than 5 -10 minutes at a hole if you get no bites at all
"the worst day of fishing is always better than a great day at work"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:31 PM »
How long do y'all spend in a hole that's not producing (assuming you don't have any electronics to tell you whether there's fish there or not)?  I haven't done alot of ice fishing and I think I might be spending too much time at the same hole that's not producing instead of moving on to try some place else.  I usually send the jig down to the bottom and then slowly work my way to the top one crank at a time, jigging a few minutes at each turn of the reel to see if there's anything at that depth.  Once I get to the top, I drop it down and start again. 

Most fish can be any where in the water column but some you need to stay right on bottom so my question is: What kinda fish do you normally target  ???  cause some fish need--- 1.more time 2. diffrent lure 3. Jigging near bottom at all times 4. diffrent techniques.

Offline waltergill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:16 PM »
after using a vexlar it is hard to go back to not using one to mark the fish lol but i have noticed that when your not getting bites i like to try going to a smaller presentation like a 12 to a 14 and so on
That's a wopper!!!

I'ts huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:27 PM »
Not to harrass you or anything you have to get electronics. I have a $99.00 lcd hooked to a 20 battery. And you will never find me on the ice without it. It is so much nicer knowing what is going on below you.

Offline wilkintj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:27 AM »
Most fish can be any where in the water column but some you need to stay right on bottom so my question is: What kinda fish do you normally target  Huh  cause some fish need--- 1.more time 2. diffrent lure 3. Jigging near bottom at all times 4. diffrent techniques.

I'm after panfish.  I figure they're the easiest for a new guy. 

Offline FIP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Wilkintj - It is so much easier with electronics or fishing with someone that has some. I have an old Eagle LCD on a portable base (takes 2 lantern batteries) that works except for the off button - need to unhook the power cable to turn it off. You can have it if you want it. Pass it on when you get something better.
I can not live out there without my Showdown!
FIP

Offline jer204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:21 AM »
I never used to fish with electronics.  As long as your having fun, stay as long as you want.  I would usually give it a half hour or so.  I do agree with getting something to show you whats down there.  Makes a huge difference.

Offline shibes24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:31 AM »
I hate ice fishing without electronics.  It is much easier to stay in a hole for 1/2 hour or so if you are marking fish.  Then you can try different jigs/baits to suit the fish's desires.  But if you're not marking fish, there's no point in trying different things.  Move on. 

I give each hole about 15-20 minutes, if I don't mark anything, I move on.  If I'm marking fish, but they aren't biting, I will stay a little longer. 

shibes24

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I do stay at holes as long as I know what time the fish show up. If the fish don't show up when I think they should, then I move. I go out and get my spot then relax and wait. I found these spots by sitting through hours of nothing.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Wilkintj - It is so much easier with electronics or fishing with someone that has some. I have an old Eagle LCD on a portable base (takes 2 lantern batteries) that works except for the off button - need to unhook the power cable to turn it off. You can have it if you want it. Pass it on when you get something better.
I can not live out there without my Showdown!

Way to be man! Helping another member out is too cool!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:26 AM »
First of all try your presentations the exact opposite way you are now. Start your jigging near the surface and work your way down. If you were using a flasher you would want to your presentation just above the fish to bring the active fish up. You essentially want to skim the fish off the top of the pile and work your way down.
Next, if you have two or three rods, set them up with your top lures and I'd go 5 - 10 cycles each and then move on to another hole.
Remember, watch your line. Sometimes as I have seen so often on my camera, fish will take your lure and actually lift up a fraction of an inch. The majority of the time fish don't slam your presentation. Look for your line to go ever so slightly slack. And when you set the hook don't rip their lips off. Raise up quickly and reel at the same time. If your hooks are good and sharp it won't take a lot to get a good hookset.
I still occasionally fish with some of the old timers that will often out-catch us guys with all the bells and whistles. These are the ones that prove every day that fish can be caught without electronics. They leave me amazed every time.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:25 AM »
First of all try your presentations the exact opposite way you are now. Start your jigging near the surface and work your way down. If you were using a flasher you would want to your presentation just above the fish to bring the active fish up. You essentially want to skim the fish off the top of the pile and work your way down.
Next, if you have two or three rods, set them up with your top lures and I'd go 5 - 10 cycles each and then move on to another hole.
Remember, watch your line. Sometimes as I have seen so often on my camera, fish will take your lure and actually lift up a fraction of an inch. The majority of the time fish don't slam your presentation. Look for your line to go ever so slightly slack. And when you set the hook don't rip their lips off. Raise up quickly and reel at the same time. If your hooks are good and sharp it won't take a lot to get a good hookset.
I still occasionally fish with some of the old timers that will often out-catch us guys with all the bells and whistles. These are the ones that prove every day that fish can be caught without electronics. They leave me amazed every time.

:tipup:
NBG

Every thing that Lobes said is a good game plan but as far as moving goes I say drill about 8 to 10 holes (or if you have a power auger than go for 15 holes) in any pattern that spread out about 20 to 30 yards and spend about 10 minutes in each hole and if you catch one in a hole than give that hole an extra 3 to 5 minutes after each fish you catch. Normally I don't stress my opinion on any one but for pan fish YOU MUST STAY ON THE MOVE, but like I said this is my opinion. Or if it's a real bad day for weather than just sit in one spot in the shanty and get TRASHED  :wacko:  :laugh:

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:48 AM »
depends on the lake, time of day, and species I'm targeting.
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:43 PM »
until im done.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Sturgeon Spearing.... forever, run and gun gills a minute or two, walleye an hour or more... depends on water, species, beer supply, social opportunities as well ;)

Offline wilkintj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2009, 02:24 PM »
than just sit in one spot in the shanty and get TRASHED  Wacko  laugh

now that sounds like a plan!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.