The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: icegator and cold batteries  (Read 10248 times)

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: icegator and cold batteries
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I on the other hand have had nothing but good to say about the equipment and the customer support  and I do live in the cold belt of the nation often seeing -20   straight temp and have yet to have a problem try emailing or calling greg or dee Ive always had no problems getting in touch with them    they are great people!
   I to have had EXCELLENT Customer Service from the people at Gator! Not many companies I know of where when you call, the Owner either answers or call you right back.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Insert Quote
Mine must be a battery issue hopefully.  Yesterday I was only able to drill 15 holes before it quit.  I was measured at 22".  Hopefully the company will stand behind the product, I'll post an update. 

Other than the lack of power, the gator is increadible.  Have had a half dozen folks come up and ask me about it and it sure cuts fast.  I'm through the 22" in less than 10 seconds without any effort.  No pushing down on the auger, ect.  If this power issue gets solved I'll be a happy camper.

Update on mine.  Called to Co. recieved a call back that day and was informed that a new unit would be shipped the next day.  Recieved the new unit quickely.  haven't been able to test out the new unit yet, but I'm sure it'll be great.

Great company, great unit, buy one!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:05 PM »
 but have to say the safest auger I ever owned or used

No master power off switch, I don't call that too safe. Mine has gotten stuck "on" a half dozen times in the past two weeks. I hit the reverse button and the unit stopped but didn't go in reverse. As soon as I let up on the rev button back in forward it went. After a minute of pressing both buttons back and forth it started working normal again. Kind of scary thinking about putting the auger blade shield on wondering if the unit might self start. Really needs a master power switch. Also had problems with the brake not working yesterday. It didn't stay on it just spun to a stop. At that time revrerse didn't work at all. Forward still worked and I needed holes so I kept drilling. Then next thing I know it was working fine again????? I am waiting for a call back from the manufacturer right now as I think this unit needs to go back. You'd think for the money there shouldn't be any issues like this hanging around. Pretty simple two button design??? Not sure what could be causing my issues. At first I thought just a fault forward switch, but this new no brake and then no reverse when the brake isn't working has me stumped.

Oh well if there was a lemon you can be sure I'd get it.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 17, 2009, 05:44 PM »
No master power off switch, I don't call that too safe. Mine has gotten stuck "on" a half dozen times in the past two weeks. I hit the reverse button and the unit stopped but didn't go in reverse. As soon as I let up on the rev button back in forward it went. After a minute of pressing both buttons back and forth it started working normal again. Kind of scary thinking about putting the auger blade shield on wondering if the unit might self start. Really needs a master power switch. Also had problems with the brake not working yesterday. It didn't stay on it just spun to a stop. At that time revrerse didn't work at all. Forward still worked and I needed holes so I kept drilling. Then next thing I know it was working fine again????? I am waiting for a call back from the manufacturer right now as I think this unit needs to go back. You'd think for the money there shouldn't be any issues like this hanging around. Pretty simple two button design??? Not sure what could be causing my issues. At first I thought just a fault forward switch, but this new no brake and then no reverse when the brake isn't working has me stumped.

Oh well if there was a lemon you can be sure I'd get it.

Spike

Just got off the phone. Said they never heard of the problems I have. Say they had some that stayed on but it was because of the switch freezing not just staying on as mine did. They also said they had some non braking problems that were contact issues. But not with the no reverse and forward still working. They agreed it needs a master on/off and that is being added. You will be able to send back for the modification at no charge when they get it designed in. They are sending me a new power head tommorrow and I will return mine in the box the new one comes in. What ever is wrong with mine they should learn a lot from tearing it down cause somethingis definitely up. He thought maybe the switche contacts were fusing together.  Oh well they'll figure it out. Top notch customer service!

Spike
gallery

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 17, 2009, 06:10 PM »
SPIKE- I sent the owner of the company ( Greg) an e mail telling him my problem that could get someone hurt real quick! I had a custom ballistic nylon carrying case made for our auger.Somehow in travelling, something pushed up against the power button and the auger engaged until the button was released and shut off.Needless to say, the auger ( Stikemaster Lazer 8 ") ate right thru this cover, after knocking off the auger guard!!! The e mail I got back  was like this was no big deal to him.He said in his e mail that this problem is new and that if no one lets them know about it, they can't fix it! No mention of covering the $75 carrycase, but thanks for letting them know.In my eyes this is a serious safety issue where as someone could hurt real quick!! I am going to fabricate some type of cover that will cover the button up so they cannot accidently engage the auger.I did have a defective charger and they got one out to me pretty quick.Other than this, its a great unit.But in my eyes, these exposed power buttons are no different than a cocked pistol, just waiting to go off.Let us know what changes they make on your new unit.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:14 PM »
they are quick!    maybe they need a second button so you have to push 2 or    something like a skill saw         Now  On the funny side...   after drilling up the case you had made    bet you still had lots of power to drill all the holes you needed before recharging   lol

I also transport my auger broken down in the truck  when I get to the ice it is then connected and rides ontop of my otter village strapped down
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:24 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Oh YEAH!! Lots of power left but at least theres  no gas smell-LOL!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:25 PM »
;D ;D ;D Oh YEAH!! Lots of power left but at least theres  no gas smell-LOL!
hoped to get a laugh outta you

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:27 PM »
ya know   maybe its like an old dog   didnt want none of those fancy clothes over itself  so ripped em up!

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:57 PM »
ya know   maybe its like an old dog   didnt want none of those fancy clothes over itself  so ripped em up!
Ripem up!Sure did! Looks like I will go back to the old pillowcase carrying bag!!!!!!!!!!!! At least theyre a whole lot cheaper at Wallieworld!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:34 AM »
SPIKE- I sent the owner of the company ( Greg) an e mail telling him my problem that could get someone hurt real quick! I had a custom ballistic nylon carrying case made for our auger.Somehow in travelling, something pushed up against the power button and the auger engaged until the button was released and shut off.Needless to say, the auger ( Stikemaster Lazer 8 ") ate right thru this cover, after knocking off the auger guard!!! The e mail I got back  was like this was no big deal to him.He said in his e mail that this problem is new and that if no one lets them know about it, they can't fix it! No mention of covering the $75 carrycase, but thanks for letting them know.In my eyes this is a serious safety issue where as someone could hurt real quick!! I am going to fabricate some type of cover that will cover the button up so they cannot accidently engage the auger.I did have a defective charger and they got one out to me pretty quick.Other than this, its a great unit.But in my eyes, these exposed power buttons are no different than a cocked pistol, just waiting to go off.Let us know what changes they make on your new unit.

I am a designer and I can't believe that missed that safety feature. If someone got hurt they are responsible for their design. He said they are working on adding a master on/off switch and any that don't have it can ship back and have it added. First time I used the unit my buddy picked up the head and I went to attach the auger bit when the unit started to turn. His glove hit the power button! I said there isn't a master switch??? Then a couple weeks later the unit stayed on a few times while drilling a hole. Pretty intimidating having a high torque bit spinning around with no way to turn it off. At that time I wasn't too familiar with the unit and didn't know I could have spun off the thhumb screws on the top and pulled a wire. Still for the money you shouldn't need to do that. Anyway my other problem sounds like the first they have had so they are going to test it  and break it down to see if they have a pproblem with the switch or what not.
I'm just happy to get another one.

Man the torque these units put out is amazing. I was thinking a wider handle grip might be better for controling it on the break thru easier.

Spike
gallery

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:56 AM »
I'm just glad I got mine before they start puting all these safety gizmos on them, then they'll have to turn down the torque because someone wasn't strong enough to hold on and got hurt. Then...... Hopefully after they get done trying to satisfy the lawyers they'll still be in business ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.