The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: icegator and cold batteries  (Read 10250 times)

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
icegator and cold batteries
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:21 PM »
How many holes will it drill with batteries that have been charged but left out in the cold several days?

For example, I charge the batteries at room temperature, then it take the auger into my unheated pole barn and leave it there all night. In the morning I drill a half dozen holes and I do the same thing in the evening. Repeat again until the batteries are discharged to the point of needing a recharge. During the entire time the batteries are never warmed up. How many holes could I get using an 8" lazer.

I'm not looking for someone giving me a guess, but someone that has done the same thing....never warming up the batteries between charges.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: icegator and cold batteries
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:19 AM »
Well for one Id never do that  it just isn't good battery maintenance you should never on pourpose drain any battery dead repeatedly  after use I always charge up my batteries  be it the icegator or vex  or camper batteries   the more times you drop the charge below 50% battery life decreases granted batteries should be warm before charging
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:23 AM »
Well for one Id never do that  it just isn't good battery maintenance you should never on pourpose drain any battery dead repeatedly  after use I always charge up my batteries  be it the icegator or vex  or camper batteries   the more times you drop the charge below 50% battery life decreases granted batteries should be warm before charging

You'll note my FM brother, that I didn't say drain it dead. I said drain it to the point of needing a recharge....big difference. You are right about people ruining their batteries by discharging the too deeply and causing damage.

So......can anyone give me answer my question? Are the guys that manufacture these units active on this site?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:42 AM »
I cant help you much on that as I always store mine inside   in the basement     Yes they are here  they have a special section just on icegators    you might look for masterangler for 1 anyway

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:03 PM »
I have waited a long time to voice my opinion and concerns with the folks at IceGator. The free batteries has already been done here in Alaska and I was happy with it till it broke and I had to send it back. They promised they would get me a new and improved one back out to me to re-evaluate after they had it figured out...that was this past spring. I emailed them several times asking about whether they were going to send me the newest version to try out again and about testig their new auger bit. I NEVER GOT A REPLY to any of my emails. That right there tells me that they are not customer oriented at all. Yes they sent me one for free and I paid shipping and then it broke because it couldn't handle the extreme cold and the battery configuration allowed for the batteries to jar loose and cause a short in the 24 volt system. I figured that they would be happy to know that and would see if they could improve upon it and it would not happen to anyone else. they say they are better than before. However they have not held up to their promise of getting me another one to try. It is in my opinion that if you live in the lower 48 where it doesnt get much colder than 20 below but a few times a year it is a decent auger but for extreme climates they have yet to allow me or anyone to prove that is the king of the hill for augers.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:11 PM »
I on the other hand have had nothing but good to say about the equipment and the customer support  and I do live in the cold belt of the nation often seeing -20   straight temp and have yet to have a problem try emailing or calling greg or dee Ive always had no problems getting in touch with them    they are great people!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Im waiting on a hat  lol

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Im waiting on a hat  lol

A hat?  Is that all, Hazzy?  I thought you'd be getting a whopping commission check for all the units you
help sell on IS here. :D

MD

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:28 AM »
A hat?  Is that all, Hazzy?  I thought you'd be getting a whopping commission check for all the units you
help sell on IS here. :D

MD
I wish!   actually couldnt do it if I wanted to   really would mess up my disability   but have to say the safest auger I ever owned or used

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:26 PM »
Still no info on cold batteries? I thought someone would be able to answer me by now.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Come on gator guys, where are you?  Customer question here.... :)

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Drilled 15 holes and left the auger outside for night
It was 22 F
Next day drilled holes for 3 people and i still had juice for more at the end of the day

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I have been watching this thread since it started as I'm curious as well. No one has yet to give a simple answer like I got 60 or whatever. One would almost be lead to believe that alot of people that own them think there all that, the best thing out there according to what people have said on other threads. I would be willing to wager that after folks have them for a few years and get something different then they tell you the thing was not so great afterall. How hard is it to simply give a honest answer to the question, weather it's 40 or 100 whatever.

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2009, 03:47 PM »
still waiting for my gator
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:19 PM »
The problem is I for one have never left it out over night in the cold   there isnt a reason to  I bring it in at night  melt the ice and snow off the flights ect   doesnt take up much space   Last year over 70 holes were drilled in a 3 day period with out it being recharged  I just cant awnser about leaving it out in the cold   I have the same batteries as I did last year   matter of fact I generally use the 9ah batteries I do have the larger batteries  but havent really used them   They are always in the truck when I go though

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:15 PM »
i'll say this. i got mine last friday. drilled about 25 holes per day. no recharge in between. about 75 holes. i didn't leave it out all night. but it layed on the ice 4 to 6 hours each time never in a hut. would you leave a expensive gun out all night. i didn't think so. i think nobody has given an answer because they aren't going to leave there auger out just for this post. reread the first post. he doesn't want a guess. he wants an accurate answer.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:27 PM »
i'll say this. i got mine last friday. drilled about 25 holes per day. no recharge in between. about 75 holes. i didn't leave it out all night. but it layed on the ice 4 to 6 hours each time never in a hut. would you leave a expensive gun out all night. i didn't think so. i think nobody has given an answer because they aren't going to leave there auger out just for this post. reread the first post. he doesn't want a guess. he wants an accurate answer.

How dare I ask for an accurate answer.  ::)

The difference between an expensive gun and an ice auger is pretty big, so you're comparison really doesn't have any merit.

So what's the problem with leaving it out in the cold? It is desgined for the cold isn't it? It isn't something that you have to baby the batteries and keep them warm so they won't die quickly is it? I've seen how battery operated devices, that need a lot of current, perform if their batteries are cold (they quickly lose their torque) and I want to know if the gator is the same way. Pretty simple answer really.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Im a hand auger man myself.  Im assuming the batteries would drain though. Mabey you should e-mail Icegator, Im sure they have some sort of testing.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:14 AM »
How dare I ask for an accurate answer.  ::)

The difference between an expensive gun and an ice auger is pretty big, so you're comparison really doesn't have any merit.

390 bucks is 390 bucks  I call that pretty much the same as a 390 buck shotgun/rifle!

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2009, 12:05 PM »
390 bucks is 390 bucks  I call that pretty much the same as a 390 buck shotgun/rifle!
he's never gonna get the answer he wants.  :laugh:

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2009, 12:37 PM »
he's never gonna get the answer he wants.  :laugh:

Guys like you don't help matters at all. Feel free to stop replying and go be a troll on some other thread.

Still looking for my answer. I beginning to think the batteries need to be babied and kept warm in order for the unit to work very well. Is this true?

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2009, 12:45 PM »
i'm not trying to be a "troll" just saying i'm not going to abuse my equipment to give you an answer. buy me a set of batteries and ship them to me. and i'll do the test for you. in my other post i said i left it on the ice for up to 6 hours. it still drilled holes just like it did when warm. so i didn't see any difference with the unit being cold.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Still looking for my answer. I beginning to think the batteries need to be babied and kept warm in order for the unit to work very well. Is this true?

Yes you are correct in your assumption. Like I said the IceGator is fine for fair weather fishing but for extended trips and extreme cold they will not cut it. I have left the one I was evaluating out all night at like 30 below and it did not like it. I Think I am the only one ever who has used one to cut through more than 4 ft of ice. I never got the amount of holes it claimed but that is pretty obvious when you are talking about how much ice I had to drill and living in Alaska is a whole other world compared to ice fishing in the lower 48. Then there is the problem with the motor burning up or the bearing going out for running that long for one hole.

I am not saying it is a bad product for mild winter places but I am saying it is just not built rugged enough for the extreme cold and thick ice or for being kept outside more than a couple of hours.

Go ask some of the guys in BC or Sask on the Canadian boards and see if any of them have anything to say about the IceGator.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:40 PM »
i'm not trying to be a "troll" just saying i'm not going to abuse my equipment to give you an answer. buy me a set of batteries and ship them to me. and i'll do the test for you. in my other post i said i left it on the ice for up to 6 hours. it still drilled holes just like it did when warm. so i didn't see any difference with the unit being cold.

I'm sure you feel that way. Feel free to go to another post and to take your drama with you. Thanks, have a good week.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Sorry I missed this thread Ive been busy. A few weeks ago I had a small tourny going on. I prefished on saturday drilling approx 100 holes,went out partying that night(left the gator on the wheeler outside) and when I got home was in no condition to remember to charge it. I then used it the next day and am sure it drilled at least 100 more holes. Ice was about 15 inches thick. I then got busy with work and it spent the week in my car until I loaded atthe last minute to go to another tourny....Guess what ,still hadnt charged it. Drilled about another 40 holes that day . It was starting to slow down, but not enough that  it wasnt still impressing everyone that drilled a hole with it. temps were from 10 to 30 degrees..... My only explanation for that many holes is that the batterys had time to rest and rejuvenate between use. Oh, I have a seeker with a 6 inch Nils on it.

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:28 PM »
hmmm....that sounds pretty good so far...for so much time outside

that for the post.

I am hoping maybe I will be waitting another week tops...that should be week 2..for my gator to get to me.

good luck!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2009, 03:58 AM »
240 holes through 15" of ice without a recharge? I'm a big 'Gator supporter but even I have doubts about that, maybe somebody plugged it in when you weren't lookin' ;)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:45 AM »
I think that's perfectly reasonable for the Seeker and a 6" Nils.  I think the number of holes will be reduced a bit when you go to a larger bit.  Even if it was reduced by half, that would still be a lot of holes through 15" ice!
The temps these tests are being made with are reasonable for my needs.  Think I might have to get a gator.
Think I might already have!

MD

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:01 AM »
Yeah, whatever, theres no way in hell your even gonna get 150 thru 15'' ice on one set batteries

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Yeah, whatever, theres no way in hell your even gonna get 150 thru 15'' ice on one set batteries
Pretty bold calling a guy a liar!   He posted his results   I know for a fact  for 3 days last year one of the icegators got 70+ holes  in 3 days and still didnt need charging  with the 9 ah batteries!with about 15" of ice with a nils

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.