Author Topic: Red Leader and hook  (Read 891 times)

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Red Leader and hook
« on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:45 PM »
I recently switch to a red leader and hook on the tip ups. Anyone out there try it? Thoughts?

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Red Leader and hook
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:49 PM »
If you use the search feature and type in "red hooks" I think there are several post which had this topic discussed. A lot of info and personal results to help you decide. Personally I think they only make a difference in shallow water.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:29 PM »
True believer. Having a science background and taking a few liminology (lake) courses, have taught me the science is a fact. The color red is the first color to be absorbed in the water column, and in as little as 3 meters. We have done numerous tests in a "light extinction tube" to see if this is real, and it is. You will only find red line and leaders on all my tip ups. As far as catch rate, I would say it remained the same. Im just telling you that what you hear about red "dissappearing" IS fact. Rebel.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Tonite I rigged a few Quick strike rigs and I used red line leaders and red hooks.  Will be using them this weekend on Otisco Lake NY for Tigers.  I'll let you know how they work compared to normal mono and hooks.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:30 PM »
I have red ice line on every thing  and red leaders and treble hooks on all. Does it make a difference who knows my catch rate is up but I now can afford better equipment to fish with also mobility being a big one.

Live to fish forced to work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.