Author Topic: Arctic Armor Question  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Moto21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!!
Arctic Armor Question
« on: Jan 03, 2009, 08:40 PM »
I think I'm defiantly going to order a Arctic Armor suit.  Whats the difference between the Arctic armor suit and the Arctic armor plus suit.  I read the info but don't notice a difference.  Anyone got one? How u like it? Thanks
~Brad

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Arctic Armor Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:00 PM »
I think I'm defiantly going to order a Arctic Armor suit.  Whats the difference between the Arctic armor suit and the Arctic armor plus suit.  I read the info but don't notice a difference.  Anyone got one? How u like it? Thanks

Color for one.  The plus suit has a tricott lining.  If you are wearing cotton layers they will "stick" to the tricott of the plus suit.
I have a plus suit and love it.  I wear underarmour layers and don't have that "sticky" problem at all.  I also don't try to put the bibs on over my boots - they wouldn't fit over my Cabelas Trans-Alaskas anyways.
One of the benefits of these suits (all of them) is that will "float" you if you happen to break through.  Gives you a "warm" feeling while out on the ice.  ;D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:42 PM »
I have the arctic armor red suit, and I love it. All I ever wear is a sweat shirt under neath it.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009, 02:56 PM »

Make sure not to get it to tight!  I had to return mine due to it being to tight...It made it have cold spots in the arms and shoulders!  I got one a little larger than was recommended and it is awesome now!!  Also some people have to layer and some wear just a heavy sweatshirt... So don't be surprised if you need to throw a few layers under it. 

Good luck and you will enjoy it!

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Here's to mudding the water.  I have the Armor Blues and there great.  Have had them for a few yrs and no rips or break down in keeping you warm.
I think either one you go w/ will be worth it.

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Here's to mudding the water.  I have the Armor Blues and there great.  Have had them for a few yrs and no rips or break down in keeping you warm.
I think either one you go w/ will be worth it.

My brother has the Ice Armor blue suit and swears by it for warmth and waterproof!  But I'm always in front when we are walking out just in case someone goes in it may as well be me because I will float!!   :laugh:  Either way they are nice additions to the arsenal!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Definitely quality gear!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Catchthis44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I have the red and my father has the green(plus) we both love ours but his only complaint was that he couldnt but his bibs on with boots on b/c of the linear.  The red suit does not have the linear but is super warm and water proof

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:01 PM »
I too have been mulling over which suite to get, the arctic armour plus or ice armour grey suite.  My main question is bulk.  I already have to much natural bulk, LOL and want to keep the layering to a minimum.  I have no concern about putting bibs on over boots(too big anyway).  Does anyone know if ice armour will keep you afloat as well or just the arctic armour?  Tnx

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:06 PM »
I too have been mulling over which suite to get, the arctic armour plus or ice armour grey suite.  My main question is bulk.  I already have to much natural bulk, LOL and want to keep the layering to a minimum.  I have no concern about putting bibs on over boots(too big anyway).  Does anyone know if ice armour will keep you afloat as well or just the arctic armour?  Tnx
There are two major differences between Ice armor and Arctic Armor. 1) Ice Armor is NOT buoyant.  if you do happen to fall through, you won't float. 2) The Ice Armor is heavier and bulkier. Also, I don't think the Ice Armor has the separate cuff gator ( I slide the gator in my boot) Just as an aside I have a friend who owns the blue Ice Armor suit, he says the bibs are great but he has other winter coats that are warmer, he almost never wears the coat on the ice.
I have the red, my son has the camo. (Arctic Armor). Both are warm and waterproof. One thing about the camo- wet snow and sleet tend to stick to it - you can brush it off but it can get a little annoying. The red suit sheds the snow sleet  and rain great, it just doesn't stay wet. I can kneel in slush for ten minutes, when i get up my knees are dry in a minute. I am completely satisfied with the Arctic Armor.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:09 PM »
The only one that makes a claim to flotation is IDI Arctic Armor.  

I have the Arctic Armor Plus suit and I love it.  If you have to do any activity while in it at all you will ROAST(at least I do).  I wear my Under Armor Base 2.0 and thats all I really need and I end up opening the front of th jacket when I get done getting my gear set up because I get so warm.  

there are a couple things that could be improved:  Jacket length could be 6" longer, knee width in the bibs is tighter than it needs/should be, tricot lining will hold/stop moisture(not soak it up) just hold it on the surface of the material(so if you take the jacket off after getting hot and sweaty it feels damp on the surface of the tricot when putting it back on)...

Offline rrfd40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:14 PM »

My wife bougt me ice armour last year,blue suit, and I love it..really warm but it doesn't float

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:24 PM »
I have the red and black Arctic Armor and the only complaint I have is that I wish the zippers went high enough to get them on over boots. I don't really care for standing out in the cold, pulling them on and then putting my boots on. Maybe if I didn't wear a size twelve it would be better. I put them on in my house and then drove ten miles to a lake with my windows down and was sweating like it was 100 degrees by the time I got there.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rrfd40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:52 PM »

The blue ice armour unzip to mid thigh on me

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:05 PM »
There are two major differences between Ice armor and Arctic Armor. 1) Ice Armor is NOT buoyant.  if you do happen to fall through, you won't float. 2) The Ice Armor is heavier and bulkier. Also, I don't think the Ice Armor has the separate cuff gator ( I slide the gator in my boot) Just as an aside I have a friend who owns the blue Ice Armor suit, he says the bibs are great but he has other winter coats that are warmer, he almost never wears the coat on the ice.
I have the red, my son has the camo. (Arctic Armor). Both are warm and waterproof. One thing about the camo- wet snow and sleet tend to stick to it - you can brush it off but it can get a little annoying. The red suit sheds the snow sleet  and rain great, it just doesn't stay wet. I can kneel in slush for ten minutes, when i get up my knees are dry in a minute. I am completely satisfied with the Arctic Armor.
With the Artic Armor Would I be able to pull the bib pants over my mickey mouse or muck boots ? Also ,You mention camo having the snow sticking to it, I take it the shell is made out of different material ?

Offline erikphillips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:38 PM »
the camo shell is made of a softer material. its suposed to be more quiet in the woods. i just bought the red jacket a few weeks back and took it out on a windy day that was about 15 degrees. sat outside and jigged all day while everyone else was inside. actualy had to take a layer off underneath. the jacket is super light weight and is by far the warmest thing i have had on. well worth the money.

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:04 PM »
With the Artic Armor Would I be able to pull the bib pants over my mickey mouse or muck boots ?

Yes.  But it is much easier to put them on afterwards. 

You need to fully open the legs and the internal gaiters, even then it is a tight fit.  But it can be done.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Yes.  But it is much easier to put them on afterwards. 

You need to fully open the legs and the internal gaiters, even then it is a tight fit.  But it can be done.
Thanks for info

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Not sure if this is true or not, but I was told that a person should never dry your Artic Armor in the dryer. The Drying it in the dryer ruins the insulation properties of the insulation.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Not sure if this is true or not, but I was told that a person should never dry your Artic Armor in the dryer. The Drying it in the dryer ruins the insulation properties of the insulation.

Tags read:  Machine was cold water - Hang Dry - Do not apply heat.

Simple enough.  Just gotta let the wifey do the laundry - she always reads the tags - I never do.  ;D  Just ruin a couple of her good blouses and ya never have to worry about doing laundry again.  ;D

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Already did that, and don't get to do laundry. ;D

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2009, 02:23 AM »
I love my Camo suit but the first time out I found myself sticking to the ice when kneeling at the hole.  After peeling myself up, along with a coating of ice shavings, I threw on a pair of cheap foam knee pads I used to use, problem solved.  I have other quiet cloth hunting gear with the same sticky tendencies so I guess I should have known.  It really only bothers me when I have to get in the truck all snowed up.  The price we pay for stealth.  Also learned to not layer too much as the micro fleece bottoms roasted me to point of sweating.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Big Josh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:36 AM »
I have the arctic armour plus suit with mixed feelings. The suit does keep you warm and dry. It is the quality that is the issue its just not top notch start with the outer material seems thin to me but so far somewhat durable,  the cut of the suit is kind of funky the arms seem short and a little snug, the pants ar nice and heavy due to the extra padding i guess its a trade off. No chest pockets on the bibs which kinda sucks. The biggest problem is the zippers they broke the first time out did not realize it until after my 10 day return policy was up. Now i am getting the run around from idi and fish307. I will probably have a seamstress replace them if nothing else. Bouyancy might be the trade off. You be the judge. My buddy has an ice armour x suit it seems to be better quality. It doesn't float.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:47 AM »
I have the arctic armour plus suit with mixed feelings. The suit does keep you warm and dry. It is the quality that is the issue its just not top notch start with the outer material seems thin to me but so far somewhat durable,  the cut of the suit is kind of funky the arms seem short and a little snug, the pants ar nice and heavy due to the extra padding i guess its a trade off. No chest pockets on the bibs which kinda sucks. The biggest problem is the zippers they broke the first time out did not realize it until after my 10 day return policy was up. Now i am getting the run around from idi and fish307. I will probably have a seamstress replace them if nothing else. Bouyancy might be the trade off. You be the judge. My buddy has an ice armour x suit it seems to be better quality. It doesn't float.
[/quote  What do you mean 307 is giving you the run around ????? I am interested because that's who I planned a purchase thru. However if they aren't going to stand by the product after just 10 days when there's an obvious flaw I might have to look elsewhere to purchase the suit.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:23 AM »
This is my second season with the arctic armour red, and I don't have any problems. And I can guaranty that I fish more than 99% of the people on this forum. I have probably 150 outtings on this suit between last year and this year so far and not one problem. I did however burn a small hole in the right leg from my four wheeler, other than that I'm 100% happy.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline erikphillips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:24 AM »
if you guys want to save on shipping, dicks has them

Offline Big Josh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Fish307 said it was idi's problem, idi said it was fish307's problem. Don't care just want a new jacket. It's less than 30 days old. Reguardless of my situation I have been using it daily with no other problems. As for the suit design it can still be improved upon.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2009, 01:23 PM »
I have the StrikeMaster Hardwater bibs. They are much like the ice/arctic armour but just a tad bit cheaper, pretty insulated. Water and wind resistant. Does anyone else own a pair?

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Fish307 said it was idi's problem, idi said it was fish307's problem. Don't care just want a new jacket. It's less than 30 days old. Reguardless of my situation I have been using it daily with no other problems. As for the suit design it can still be improved upon.
Did you contact IDI directly? If so did you follow up with them and let them know that one of their dealers is not helping you? I had a problem with my bib and Walleye Dan in Minnesota helped me out immediately, he said they ship defective suits back to IDI.  He also told me I could have it repaired locally and send him the bill. No mention of a 10 day return policy.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Well, I think 307 should make it right with you first and then try to work it out with the manufacturer and if they're not gonna work it out with 307 then 307 could tell them they will no longer carry their brand. I guess I'll tell the wife NOT to purchase the suit from Jeff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.