Author Topic: Illinois atv regulations?  (Read 6660 times)

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Illinois atv regulations?
« on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:29 PM »
I recently purchased a 4-wheeler for ice fishing and need to know what Illinois requires for me to ride on the lakes. I used to have a 3-wheeler years ago and don't remember having to do anything as far as registering or insuring it. I plan on using it on both Illinois and Wisconsin lakes so I don't want any hassles from the law. If there is any fisherman out there that could help me out I would appreciate it. Also are there any regulations as far as a tow behind fish house in Illinois? I am planning on building a small tow behind fish house that I can also carry the atv in to the lakes.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Illinois atv regulations?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2009, 07:10 PM »
ligtningz...Illinois does not register atv...they do title them...dont waste your money getting it title in ill. ...it gets you nothing...you can it titled in wis.and register there...ill.does not register because then they would have provide some place to ride them...I cant help you much on lakes in ill. ...on the backwaters of the miss. river, fish and wildlife says the only place to put in at are corp. boat ramps ...not even private property access because they claim to own all river frontage...illinois is such friendly little state.... in iowa you can get non-resident  user permit..$16.75 a year...best bang for your buck is wis. ...I never heared of a ill.lake that you could legally run on.... madison wis. chain of lakes in kane county wis., sheriff dept. requires added floatation...w.w.w. sheriff dept. kane county...shows some pictures and reg.

Offline pjwatson05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:01 PM »
They run snowmachines all over Lake Storey, don't see why you can't run a quad on the same lakes those sleds run on

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:18 AM »
pjwatson05...they run snowmobiles on Ill.feeder canal also...( state park) but no quads...if you hear about any ill. lakes that are open to quads...please post... thanks...

Offline Specia1Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got Pike?!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I've seen quads legally run all over the Chain of Lakes. Most notably would be Fox, Marie, Pistakee, Channel, and Petite. Could be tough access because you can't drive them to the water, but you can trailer them there, and drive on the ice.

Support our [/color]returning veterans and the families of our heros and Patriots.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Specia1ed...thanks for the info...I have never been there...do you know if any of the lakes you mentioned are state parks?...or are they corp. of enginers...that is the same way on the miss. river..boat ramp only...thanks  :tipup:

Offline Specia1Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got Pike?!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Some lakes are private on the Chain, but the larger ones I believe are part of the Lake County Forest Preserve District. Search their website www.LKFPd.org

I'm sure there is info there on what is/isn't legal as far as atvs go.

Support our [/color]returning veterans and the families of our heros and Patriots.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I have been out over a half a dozen times since I made the first post and have had no trouble on the lakes here in Illinois. The chain has so many bars or marinas that let you park (for a small fee) that accessing any lake there is a breeze. I transport my quad in the back of my pick-up and down load my equipment and take off from there. My son lives on  Deep Lake, but their access is to steep so we ride some 300' down the road and go on at the public access. (If it's not chained shut). My quad is set up to carry the gas auger, buckets and a box w/rods,tip-ups,etc. So unless I need to take out the shanty and sled I just motor where ever I can to get on. (Until I get caught).

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:14 AM »
lightingz...sounds like you are going to do just fine...waterways  might be controlled by the corp... :tipup:

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Thanks Jepik. So far so good. I just wish the fish were as easy as the access on the chain. I've gotten some numbers, but the size has been down from years past. Some of my favorite spots have seen a of other action and aren't what they used to be. It has offered a whole new set of challenges for me. Having the atv makes it a heck of a lot easier to get to different areas. It's like a bass boat on wheels.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.