Author Topic: Clear Lake/Steuben  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clear Lake/Steuben
« on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:59 AM »
Anyone been out on Clear?
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
Re: Clear Lake/Steuben
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2008, 09:54 AM »
I would like to know too!

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Anyone?
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fisherben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can still launch a boat.

http://clearlakeindiana.org/fun/

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:20 AM »
The ones that went out can't report back. The divers are looking for them.  >:D :whistle:

I will tell you I got a big 9 pound walleye in to mount from Clear Last year that was taken through the ice. Normally the ones I'VE caught out of that lake were not impressive but this one was. (All other species out of that lake are usually impressive).

BTW here's a 10 lbs. 3 oz. brown that was taken trolling there on election day last November by Tim Williams of Auburn.  She was only 25 inches but had an 18 inch girth. Thanks to NEITA for planting browns which the state doesn't in inland lakes and streams. Make sure you have a drag set on your jigging rod!

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.indianatrout.com/25inch_brown/25-inch_brown.html

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Great lake! My buddy pulled in a 22" rainbow last year thru the ice, beautiful fish.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Great lake! My buddy pulled in a 22" rainbow last year thru the ice, beautiful fish.

I caught a 7 lb. rainbow there one day fishing for suspended bluegills. The fish was packed with kernal corn.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:32 AM »
They're in there just hard to target.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:54 AM »
i have never fished this lake but have always wanted to. i was talkin with a buddy bout maybe headin up there in the very near future. figured since it was so far north that the ice would be a good bet. does this lake take longer to freeze than most?

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:55 AM »
i have never fished this lake but have always wanted to. i was talkin with a buddy bout maybe headin up there in the very near future. figured since it was so far north that the ice would be a good bet. does this lake take longer to freeze than most?

Yes it does, it's very deep in most places. 107 ft max

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:01 PM »
i have always heard good things about this lake. hey kenny have u fished the other two lakes that are next to it (i believe its little ann and round)

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:02 PM »
It's a very unique lake in that it has browns and rainbows, walleyes and perch. Awesome fishery. State record brown and pike came from this lake.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Whale79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Whatever is in Clear is in Round, equally good fishing. Never been on Anne.
Fish ON!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:10 PM »
i have always heard good things about this lake. hey kenny have u fished the other two lakes that are next to it (i believe its little ann and round)

No I have not fished either one, but my dads cousin caught a 40 inch pike from Round.

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:14 PM »
from the looks of my map book anne is connected but it says nothin about it. these lakes show a max depth of 25 to 30 ft. are these lakes also slow to ice over? we should be fishin fellas!

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:17 PM »
from the looks of my map book anne is connected but it says nothin about it. these lakes show a max depth of 25 to 30 ft. are these lakes also slow to ice over? we should be fishin fellas!

I am not sure if they are or not, but I agree we should be fishing!

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:22 PM »
gotta fix some drywall in the basement today but come tommorrow.  ITS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!! well if i happen to make it up there before u fellas i'll be sure and post wutever i find thanks for the info!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2008, 03:08 PM »
It's a very unique lake in that it has browns and rainbows, walleyes and perch. Awesome fishery. State record brown and pike came from this lake.

Actually state record rainbow and pike unless there was a brown that was a state record at one time I'm not aware of?  Present state record brown comes from Lake Michigan. At one time back in 1968 Olin lake in Lagrange county produced the state record before the Great Lakes really got going. If anyone wants to see the picture I can post it.

A fellow angler caught a 7 lb. plus smallmouth at Clear that would have broken the state record. However Bill isn't into state records and released it.

One thing some of us know though that fish the lake is it doesn't always produce. It can stump you. We also call the weather there the Clear Lake triangle. The weather will be great at home but when you get there the wind is howling or there are severe thunderstorms (summer).

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2008, 03:10 PM »

I've watch monster gills take a glance and cruise by on Round Lake under the ice in a shanty freezing our arse's off.  Couldn't get them to bit until just before dark. I've caught some nice yellow perch and crappie in Round in the summer. Never fish Lake Ann.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:46 AM »
dont remember if i posted this on here or not, sorry if i have. there is a submarine cruising clear you can see on google earth! zoom in about half way and search around just S E  of the island. you can see the sub and jet stream out the back of it! how would you like to hook into that thing at night trout fishing. lmao

clear is an awesome lake, but it can hand you your azz on a mediocre fishing day. best to go when conditions are good.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2009, 04:33 PM »
ann is not connected to clear.  i have never heard of people fishing ann hard water or soft.  there is a creek that you could probably walk on to get to it.  I have done well on both clear and round with pike and bass.  Have only ice fished it a couple times though.

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Never fished there before. Is there any place to park? Have heard in years past that you will get towed away. Info greatly appreciated.

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:24 PM »
Never fished there before. Is there any place to park? Have heard in years past that you will get towed away. Info greatly appreciated.

The places we have parked are the yacht club on the west side of the lake, and the hotel on the north side. We have not got towed away or seen anyone get towed away yet. Usually the yacht club parking lot gets pretty packed later in the day. There might be other places to park that I am not aware of though.

Kenny

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:34 PM »
The places we have parked are the yacht club on the west side of the lake, and the hotel on the north side. We have not got towed away or seen anyone get towed away yet. Usually the yacht club parking lot gets pretty packed later in the day. There might be other places to park that I am not aware of though.

Kenny
Nice eye Kenny. Did he come from Erie?

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2009, 05:36 PM »
Nice eye Kenny. Did he come from Erie?

Thanks

Yep, right by West Sister Island

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Thanks for the info. on clear. What's the parking like on Round? Caught some nice gills on Marsh today using some nymph style flies tipped with spikes. Didn't venture too far as the ice seemed weak in some areas. Good luck all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.