Author Topic: r walley hard to catch  (Read 2932 times)

peple of the perch

r walley hard to catch
« on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:51 AM »
ive never gone for them and i want to know what kind of lure and how deep   8)<-thats me

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: r walley hard to catch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:20 AM »
Ok first let me state i dont fish them all year long. Secondly i can't catch them worth a darn in the summer ...Now winter i can tell ya, They hit hard the last hour of sunlight amd i mean Light where you need light to see your own hand. THat is the best bite time of my opinion ..Where im located in Ontario. Best results for me is a lure type presentaions followed by a minnow on the treble hook on the bottom of that lure.  Personally i use a lil cleo tipped with a 1-2 inch minnow i jig like perchj just off the bottom (depending on lake claritity) like maybe 6-10 inches) anyhow i jig for 5 then rest for 4 the repeat again. Goood luck ihope this helps
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Walleyes are not difficult usually in most lakes. The most important thing to do is fish primarly the twighlight periods surrounding sunset and sunrise. They are very hard to catch much of the time during the day. I like to fish rocky reefs or off of main lake points, especially where gravel or rock meets softer bottom. I like to stick in the 10 - 25 foot range and fish for walleyes primarily with swimming lures like a jigging rapala. So if your fishing areas like this in the right depth range in the twighlight periods, your doing something terribly wrong or have a bad lake if your not getting at least a few walleyes.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2004, 03:06 PM »
During the day last year i was doing very good for walleys, you just have to leard the lake that you are fishing and figure out their day time patterns, just know the structure on the bottoms like weed beds and rocky points ect... and then they will tend to move in to shallower water for the dusk feeding frenzy, i have caught them in 3 feet of water.

Thebob

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2005, 01:44 AM »
Catching walleye is not hard. You just need to find where they hang out at what times of day. The best times depend on lots of factors, but it isn't true that you can't do very well during daylight hours. In fact, I start most of my fishing trips about 10 AM through mid summer, and only fish early and late spring and fall.  In murky or muddy waters, I have found that between 10 and 2 can often be the best time of the day to catch them. Many of my best days of fishing, I have started before sunrise, and not gotten a hit until 10, or 11, and they quit on me by 3.

Typically, I can find fish biteing somewhere at any time of the day, but as a rule of thumb, very early, and  late are the best times, and despite what the books tell me, I don't catch crap between 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM. In the spring and fall, I go deep and fish off the bottom, maybe 25-35 ft during the bright hours in my favorite lakes, but many decent walleye waters don't get that deep in a lot of areas. Strangely, in the mid summer days, I find them suspended  about 15-20 ft over 40-70 ft of water. I don't fish many shallow, fetureless lakes. I can find a fish or two, but without structure to conscentrate the fish, it's kind of hit or miss, and I loose a lot of tackle in the weeds.

More or less, the best way to fish walleye is to know your water, and the structure it contains. When I started, I couldn't find a a fish consistantly, but I talked to the fishermen, and got to know the water, but I havn't come home without catching a fish in years. They may have been 8 in long at times, but I cought them d***it!

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2005, 11:18 PM »
If your sitting over a pack of walleyes, you could probably catch one with a cigaret butt if you jigged it properly ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2005, 05:54 PM »
I can't explain the reasons why, but there are lakes that produce tons of walleye during the open water season and very very few in the hardwater season.  I really don't think it is a matter of people not knowing how to properly fish for them, they just don't seem to feed.  So if you are trying a lake that just doesn't produce in the winter, yes it can be hard.
Let there be ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.