The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: n00b weather related question...  (Read 513 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
n00b weather related question...
« on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:14 AM »
maybe a n00b question but... wind effects the fish when i used to fish bass tournies as do fronts, etc... this morning the wind was HOWLING here in gillette and woke me up WAY EARLY  :%$#!: :%$#!:  yesterday i never marked a fish all late afternoon and on into the evening at KH, does the wind or oncoming front shut down fish below the ice too?

it seems to me once a good layer of ice is on it would almost be like it's own ecosystem impervious to what goes on above... am i  :cookoo: :cookoo:

:icefish: <----- not me yesterday...  :pinch:

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: n00b weather related question...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Last Saturday the winds were over 40 and gusts over 50 and the ice was vibrating and heaving up and down each time a strong gust passed through. I marked few fish and if for not the one fish iced I would have been skunked.  I think the excessive wind did shut down the bite.  I don't think that winds in general do much to hurt fishing through the ice. I think temperature change over a couple of days has more affect than a day of severe winds on ice fishing. IMO
Thread killer

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: n00b weather related question...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:19 AM »
I used to fish a small lake in western Nebraska. There were a small bunch of guys who had been fishing it for years. They said the fishing was always better with a light wind blowing. I never gained the experience these guys had, but it seemed like it was true in the time I was there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.