Author Topic: todays leftovers  (Read 2344 times)

Offline husker

• IceShanty Rookie
todays leftovers
« on: Dec 28, 2008, 09:10 PM »
went out today caught 13 gallons of fish big gills an unusual amount of 1 lb LM bass crappy and a dozen or so perch! ;D

didnt get any befor pics but here is the pile of guts

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: todays leftovers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2008, 03:15 PM »
looks like you got plenty of chum now

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:32 PM »
no limits where u r?
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline rover1.5dx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Not impressed. 

a) looks like a lot of wasted meat on your filleting job and b) in today's days of conservation why do you need to keep so many fish? 

Apologies if you have a family of 25 to feed but please think about taking only as much as you need for one or two good feeds.  Rest should remain swimming to keep our fishery healthy and allow others to enjoy.

The days of stocking up your freezer are over.  At least that's my opinion.

Rover

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:35 PM »
It looks like alotta wasted meat in the bucket???

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:47 AM »
im all about loadin the freezer... idk bout u guys but i eat fish! y not save some money on groceries while fishing. if he game fishes in simmer and panfishes in winter then hes doin perfect

Offline rover1.5dx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:41 AM »
spartan,

You're missing my point.  I eat fish as well, but there's no need to stock a freezer.  Just take what you eat as you go.  Fresh fish is much better than frozen fish anyways.

Economically I don't buy your argument it's cheaper to eat sport fish.  Do the math in the cost of all your equipment, gas, time, etc. and compare that to the grocery store.  It's usually much cheaper to go to the grocery store.

Maybe your fishery is different.  But my fishery is under a lot of pressure and catch and release, thankfully, is growing by those well educated fishers who are concerned about our future.  Watch any fishing TV show and/or read any respectable fishing mag and you'll see that catch and release and keeping only what you need is the future. 

Lastly, there's no difference between summer and winter.  Fish are a finite resource and if you take too many it will hurt the fishery.

Offline panfishing pirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:06 AM »
 :'( :'( :icefish: :icefish:
nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:39 PM »
spartan,

You're missing my point.  I eat fish as well, but there's no need to stock a freezer.  Just take what you eat as you go.  Fresh fish is much better than frozen fish anyways.

Economically I don't buy your argument it's cheaper to eat sport fish.  Do the math in the cost of all your equipment, gas, time, etc. and compare that to the grocery store.  It's usually much cheaper to go to the grocery store.

Maybe your fishery is different.  But my fishery is under a lot of pressure and catch and release, thankfully, is growing by those well educated fishers who are concerned about our future.  Watch any fishing TV show and/or read any respectable fishing mag and you'll see that catch and release and keeping only what you need is the future. 

Lastly, there's no difference between summer and winter.  Fish are a finite resource and if you take too many it will hurt the fishery.

Not catching my point... Im saying maybe he catches all of his "eating" fish in the winter(as i do)... and then during the summer he catches his "sport" fish like bass. (also as i do). So he catches enough to last him all year.

yes i catch and release too. I catch and keep(the big ones) in the winter. Then release absolutely everything in the sumer. that is respectable. Maybe he does the same routine as i.

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:53 PM »

I disagree with you here.  You can't count the cost of your time, because you spend your leisure time fishing.  With that said, if I wasn't spending my leisure time fishing, I'd have to spend it some other way.  What ever that may be, I'm sure it would be more expensive than fishing.  With the amount of time I would have to keep myself occupied with something other than fishing, I could spend >$1,000 per year on ice fishing and still spend less than if I didn't fish.  I'm not going to sit home twiddling my thumbs every weekend.  Everything besides that costs $$$$.

Sure, equipment is more expensive than store-bought fish.  But fishing is far cheaper than most other activities we would spend our free time doing.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:57 PM »
I do the same thing...i rarely keep any fish during the summer except maybe a feed or 2 of brookies, but i love to eat fish and i eat a lot of it, (probably more than what is recommended because of mercury, but im still livin). During the winter i eat usually atleast 2 meals a week but only get out fising maybe once or twice a week at best, if i have a good day where i can fill my little freezer in the fridge of my apratment and have lots o fish for sure the next few weeks -month than im going to fill it..NONE goes to waste if i dont eat it someone else does. When the icefishing starts to come to a close ill keep a lot of fish to stock up my reserves for the spring/summer months when ill have a hankerin for some deep fried fish, and i have done the math for me i disagree about sprtfish not being cheaper, for me they are, i live on teh lake i fish so gas is negligible, i dont own a flasher or other fancy equip and my tipdowns are homemade, and i catch my own bait so my fish are pretty frigin cheap, besides the cost you spend on equip is spent on the hobby itself not the fish per say.  good job on teh fine catch husker...u do have to work on that filleting tho  ;)
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline husker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:07 PM »
All I can say is wow guys.....Im realy dissapointed with these reply's

Didn't get to metion that I was with 5 people (4 different families) so the meat was split up.

And YES we eat a ton of fish around here

There are about a couple hundred farm ponds around here that have people taking this many fish out daily and have had plenty of fish in them ever since I started fishing which was over 15 years ago.

Thanks for the people just posting/supporting and not complaining and ruining threads

Just kind of ruined my day guys

Offline nelsonk44215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:58 AM »
Not impressed. 

a) looks like a lot of wasted meat on your filleting job and b) in today's days of conservation why do you need to keep so many fish? 

Apologies if you have a family of 25 to feed but please think about taking only as much as you need for one or two good feeds.  Rest should remain swimming to keep our fishery healthy and allow others to enjoy.

The days of stocking up your freezer are over.  At least that's my opinion.

Rover

Who are you to question this person's limit?? You don't know any of the circumstances around where he is fishing so until you know the facts, don't criticize him. A lot of the lakes that we fish around my home are over-run with small fish and could use someone to take a lot of them out. By not keeping fish you could be doing harm as well by stunting and the mortality rates of released fish. But there are some lakes that I don’t keep a lot of fish out of because of their low numbers. Just my two cents on the deal, not fair to this person to be instantly attacked when you don't know the whole story.

Nelson

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Well put
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline geo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Environmental do gooders beware!! I'ma stinkin fish killer and yes i do eat em all check out my new pics "Slabs, Hogs, and Blue Noses"

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2008, 03:50 PM »
ITS TOO BAD A GUY CANT POST A PICTURE WITHOUT GETTING SLAMMED

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Nice haul but you're wasting a lot of meat by not leaving the skin on and scaling them.

Wish I could get into a bucket of decent gills.  About the only way anymore would be to treat them as smelt.

:(

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Good job -  ;D Thirteen gallons o fish and 5-6 of waste - I'd call that a good job, :)  They will make a mighty tasty meal - Mmmm. Never mind those guys that don't agree with your fishing tactics - they are just jealous.  Go get some more :icefish:

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Way to go Husker!!!!!! As a fellow Cornhead I'd say you had an awesome day of fishing. I'm like you, if I catch em or shot em I eat em. As far as the cleaning job, I've always figued it about half good and half guts. I'd say you're dead on.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2008, 05:48 PM »
After I fillet my gills, the carcass is basically see-thorugh.  I use a regular fillet knife, and take my time. 

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:06 PM »
   OK take 5 fellas, I'd say the man meant no harm. There are waters that can use some thinning down on the population, taking some fish for a dinner or 2 is fine, harvesting some fish can be fine even desirable - intelligent harvest that is! Selectively culling out the largest fish is poor, very poor practice.This is a fact supported by natures rule, that of natural selection (the best, strongest, healthyest, propagate the species). Next proper management by man MEANING ALL OF US. And lastly the exercise of courtesy and human decency If we all took every fish we sank a hook into without care or respect for the resource or the other guy there just plain wouldn't be much worthwhile fishing for in a pretty short span of time. You don't have to violate creel limits or willfully break regulations to really damage or destroy fisheries in streams, ponds, or lakes, most particularly smaller bodies of water. You just have to be unthinking or worse uncaring and greedy.
   The waters he may well of been fishing may have need a little thinning out. By the same token he did not give much information, no pics of unbutchered fish, or mention other people that were contributing to the catch etc, so it's pretty understandable if some folks might get a negative impression. Even without that slant on things it's not very realistic to come across with with the pics and this type of post and expect everybody on the list to say hip hip hurrah and way to go it's just not going to happen. There are going to be extreme beliefs at both ends and I think that it's perhaps in itself  a good thing because it tends to bring about action  and belief that follows what's usually be best way to act and that is usually somewhere in the middle.
    As for the self proclaimed fish killer, look at all my pictures, listen to me brag, it's sad and off track. I say this because it's a immature, and selfserving. I know it's wrong and I understand the actions and attitude. I did pretty much the same thing myself and for quite awhile a long time ago. I was drunk with success at something I loved and lost in flattering my own ego. I dragged fish around on stringers showing off. I impressed myself with filling freezers and shot what must of been a mile of film taking pictures of big piles of fillets or piled up lunkers. Then I got older and I got lucky. I grew a brain and with it some conscience. Some people aren't that lucky they  don't grow wiser they just grow older. I hope you get lucky.

Spin

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Farm ponds in Nebraska are just that, Privately owned Farm ponds. Alot stocked by the farmers and if your lucky enough to know the farmer or person that owns them and have there PERMISSION, no problems.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.