The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: saltwater license 2011  (Read 3335 times)

Offline FATDOG

• Team IceShanty Regular
saltwater license 2011
« on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:26 AM »
Anybody see this in the BDN? they finally got their way! :%$#!:

http://www.bangornews.com/detail/95891.html

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: saltwater license 2011
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:33 AM »
Anybody see this in the BDN? they finally got their way! :%$#!:
    Feds to require registration for saltwater fishing in 2010

By Kevin Miller
BDN Staff
The days of casting for free from a pier or the beach for striped bass and other saltwater species are coming to an end.

Earlier this week, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced plans to begin requiring that recreational saltwater fishermen register with the agency beginning in January 2010. Federal officials say the registry will allow them to track how recreational angling affects fish stocks as well as the economic con-tribution of fishermen.

No fee will be charged for the first year, but anglers will likely have to pay $15 to $25 for a saltwater fishing license beginning in 2011.

NOAA’s rules allow states to require their own saltwater fishing licenses or registries, with all of the resulting revenues staying within state coffers. All revenues from a federal registry will go to the federal government.

As a result, Gov. John Baldacci’s administration is introducing legislation to begin a licensing program for saltwater anglers.

Baldacci spokesman David Farmer called the NOAA decision “unfortunate” and said state officials have concerns about a registry being imposed upon the state. But if a license is going to be required, Maine might as well be able to keep the revenue, Farmer said.

Licensing of Maine’s estimated 300,000 saltwater anglers is expected to generate $3 million in revenue for the state.

“We think it’s important that, at the very least, the Legislature has another discussion about this,” Farmer said. Lawmakers killed a measure to create a state registry earlier this year.

NOAA officials point out that the registry was strongly recommended in a 2006 independent scientific review by the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences. That recommendation then became law last year in the reauthorization of the Magnuson-Stevens Act, the federal law dealing with regulation of saltwater fish stocks.

The agency had originally proposed that the registry begin this January, but officials bumped back the requirement an additional year to allow states to adopt their own programs.

“Better national surveys of the more than 15 million saltwater anglers will help us demonstrate the important contributions of recreational anglers to both local economies and to the nation’s,” Jim Balsiger, acting assistant administrator for NOAA’s Fisheries Service, said in a statement. “The registry will help us gather compre-hensive data to ensure sustainable fisheries built on the best available science.”

Under the federal registry, NOAA will collect the following information from anglers: name, date of birth, address, telephone number and the regions where they plan to fish. That information will then be used to conduct surveys on fishing activity and the amount of fish that are caught, according to NOAA.

Anglers who fish only on licensed charter or party boats will not be required to register because those boats are already surveyed separately by NOAA.

The agency received nearly 500 comments from the public on the proposal earlier this year, with many of those in opposition to saltwater licenses. None of New England’s states require saltwater fishing licenses.

Patrick Keliher, who heads Maine’s Bureau of Sea-Run Fisheries and Habitat within the Department of Marine Resources, said the money generated by a state-issued license would certainly help pay for fish restoration, monitoring and other projects.

“Our feeling is we could put this money to good use in the state,” Keliher said. “The reality is there is going to be a registry.”

[email protected]

:'( :'( :'(

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:39 AM »
FD, a saltwater license is going to happen wherever there are slatwater fishermen. Not only is a license going to be required but a Fisherman Identification Number (FIN) is also going to be required. The premise is to help with data collection for saltwater species. Right now most data collected is gathered through random phone calls using the phonebook and field reports collected at the docks/ramps. By establishing this FIN, the states are better able to collect catch data by calling on only those who have been issued a FIN. In my neck of the woods most of the catch data and models used to determine the flounder regs over the last few years was seriously flawed. The scientist with the degrees who came up with the models and data would not listen to the fishermen who claimed the flounder were not being overfished. It wasn't until the fishermen actually hired someone with a degree to look at all of the previously used data and pointed out all the errors that were associated with it.

Although I do not like the idea of being issued this number, if it helps in protecting fish stocks and establishing reasonable catch limits then I am all for it. It is no different then those of us who dove hunt and have to obtain the permit and report card.

I'd like to add that were I do most of my salt fishing, De., the state initiated their own saltwater fishing license tailored after the Fed. regs. This way, any monies generated from the sale of these licenses at least stayed in the state and wasn't sent to the Feds. If the states wait until it is manadated by the Feds. any monies generated will go right to the Fed. These licenses are going to be mandated as part of a plan put into effect several years ago. So if your state jumped on the wagon before the mandate took effect, be thankful that at least the monies will be wasted by your state and not the Feds.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Its just a shame that it is going to go to revenue for the state.  The one thing I wonder also is if they are going to require that all states have the same rules and regulations ?  I think that is the only way that they can truly monitor.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:50 AM »
What better way to balance the budget then to blame it on the feds. There's another freedom gone by baldy. It won't be long before you have to pay a toll when you cross town lines. When I was a kid that's what I did with a lot of my free time was fishing down at the dock for harbor pollack or mackrell. They keep saying they want to get the kids out of the house so that they won't get fat and lazy now they just made another reason to stay inside. Just shows you again how Augusta is it's own little kingdom and doesn't give a dam about Maine working people. When is the air breathing tax coming? I guess we have to pay for the bailouts somehow. I hate to see those big CEO's lose their million dollar bonuses. HAPPY NEW TAX YEAR. :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Steve

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2008, 06:58 AM »
FD, a saltwater license is going to happen wherever there are slatwater fishermen. Not only is a license going to be required but a Fisherman Identification Number (FIN) is also going to be required. The premise is to help with data collection for saltwater species. Right now most data collected is gathered through random phone calls using the phonebook and field reports collected at the docks/ramps. By establishing this FIN, the states are better able to collect catch data by calling on only those who have been issued a FIN. In my neck of the woods most of the catch data and models used to determine the flounder regs over the last few years was seriously flawed. The scientist with the degrees who came up with the models and data would not listen to the fishermen who claimed the flounder were not being overfished. It wasn't until the fishermen actually hired someone with a degree to look at all of the previously used data and pointed out all the errors that were associated with it.

Although I do not like the idea of being issued this number, if it helps in protecting fish stocks and establishing reasonable catch limits then I am all for it. It is no different then those of us who dove hunt and have to obtain the permit and report card.

I'd like to add that were I do most of my salt fishing, De., the state initiated their own saltwater fishing license tailored after the Fed. regs. This way, any monies generated from the sale of these licenses at least stayed in the state and wasn't sent to the Feds. If the states wait until it is manadated by the Feds. any monies generated will go right to the Fed. These licenses are going to be mandated as part of a plan put into effect several years ago. So if your state jumped on the wagon before the mandate took effect, be thankful that at least the monies will be wasted by your state and not the Feds.
Boy are you blind. We use to have a lot of flounder up here until they stopped processing the fish in the harbor and all the waste or gury wasn't allowed to be dumped in the harbor. Take away their fed and they will move away. It's just another way to bleed the taxpayer.
Steve

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:03 AM »
Boy are you blind.
Typical flatlander response. 8)
How they biten

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:07 AM »
LMAO, no not blind. It is coming and there ain't gonna be squat you, I, or anybody is going to be able do about it. Ya want to sit back and wait for the Feds to mandate it to you, go ahead. As I stated, at least the states that are being proactive about it are going to waste the money at the state level. Go ahead and give your money to the Feds. If ya re-read my post I said I don't like the idea, but if it keeps the monies local, thats better then sending it to the Feds.

I just luv unjustified 20" minimum size limits don't you?
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:11 AM »
That will be it for me.  I will have spent my last dollar fishing the salt.  I will give all my saltwater
tackle, and rods to my friends that still fish it.  Does anyone believe that the license fees will be
put to good use for fishing?  I don't!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:15 AM »
All our taxes from fishing and hunting goes to the Support the Roxanne Quimby Fund so that the governor and all his chronnie can be voted back in by the environmental terrorist. It time to fight for freedom instead of letting them whittle away at them all the time.
Steve

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:16 AM »
That will be it for me.  I will have spent my last dollar fishing the salt.  I will give all my saltwater
tackle, and rods to my friends that still fish it.  Does anyone believe that the license fees will be
You won't be the only one. Especially if the fishing continues  like last year. 8) What are they going to do with the money . Give it to the commercial guys so as to  support them to continue to rape and pilage everything that swims.
How they biten

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Here is some info from one of the other states (De.) I fish in......

In Jan. 2007 President Bush signed into law the new Magnuson Stevens Act (MSA). This act required all recreational anglers be registered for a recreational fishermens survey, nationwide. By 2011, the federal gov't will impose a federal license for all recreational anglers for the survey. The fed license will probably be $30.00-$40.00. Gary Caputi, corporate relations for the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) stated, any monies generated from a fed. license will go to the U.S. Treasury and not support local fisheries.

The RFA tried to kill the local GFL to help line federal pockets. The fleecing of America. DNREC approached DMS and other organizations about implimenting a local GFL and wanted thier imput and thoughts. The states that implimented a GFL was offered a 3 to 1 in matching monies from the feds. Roy Miller and Pat Emory tried to mirror the MSA requirements. Instead of paying for something to the feds you will never see a return on, your money from the GFL is now going to local resources and fisheries for future generations of anglers.

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/mrii/overview.html

Congress, through the recently reauthorized Magnuson-Stevens Act, also called for improvements to the way the nation manages saltwater fish and understands recreational fishing. This legislation, the primary fisheries law for ocean waters, outlined two ways for improving the way recreational fishing information is collected and analyzed. The first is by creating an angler registry, essentially a phonebook of saltwater fishermen, and the second is by upgrading the existing recreational fisheries surveys.

I'll walk out on a limb here, and suggest that DNREC (and other states' agencies) kept it's ear to the ground on the "angler registry" while it was being kicked around in federal territory. Correctly reading the tea-leaves, DNREC concluded that money generated by a federal fishing license goes to the federal government and would be doled out to the individual states on a proportional basis even as some of the money generated is kept by the feds (for administrative purposes, perhaps?). I'll go out further on that limb and further suggest that DNREC concluded that it could create an "angler registry" for Delaware with a state license at a cost lower than a federal license AND keep the money in Delaware. After some false starts, Delaware institutes a license and the money it collects stays in Delaware.

If anyone is just now finding about these and others issues as it relates to our sport, you better join some clubs and become informed before it hits ya' in the face.

DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:23 AM »
You won't be the only one. Especially if the fishing continues  like last year. 8) What are they going to do with the money . Give it to the commercial guys so as to  support them to continue to rape and pilage everything that swims.
Another thing the state is thinking of is to put things into a tier system so that the guys who fish part time are going to be put out of business. They still will have to buy a license but won't be able to go lobster fishing. The rich win again.
Steve

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:25 AM »
Don't get me goin.............still grumble about how our stocking programs supports the loon population............ ....what is next............need a "tiolet tax" next and see what that generates ............... >:(
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Let's put it this way, they'll never get any money out of me and I'm still going to fish. I'll take them and their tea and throw them in the harbor.
Steve

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:36 AM »
 I wounder what will happen with the 41.00 saltwater lic. I buy every year. Will I have to buy another?  :-\
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:41 AM »
It will just cost you double or more. Once they start the price will always go up. :embarassed:
Steve

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:43 AM »
It won't be long before you have to pay a toll when you cross town lines.

hmmmm   maybe "County" >:D lines........
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Im against it at the state level   if they HAVE to do it  I dont fish salt water often   maybe once in awhile every 10 yrs or so   but if federal  then it should be good in any salt water fishery in this country   as it is now all the money generated by fishing licences out door motorcraft ect  doesnt go to if&w   the generate money  and now they are cutting wardens and bioligist ect  and shifting more$$ to rainyday /general fund   I dont even buy the scratch tickets anymore that supposedly funded the outdoor wildlife   Maybe Im miss informed   but it appears that there is improprieties in what we feel should be happening

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:33 AM »
When you buy a state fishing license it's suppose to help in restocking and data collection. Is the state going to restock the ocean? I would think all the money we invest in the state's universities could do some of the reserch. It's just another money bill to steal rights and freedoms away from the people. I think if we got rid of Augusta we could save a lot of money and get rid of those bloodsuckers.
Steve

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:32 AM »
kinda like duck hunting,,,  got the federal duck stamp then the state duck stamp.. but that legislation was written by intelligent people.. 97% of revenues must be used for wetland habitat conservation or restoration.  Now a-days new fed and state lisc. etc. are written by corrupt legislative beurocrats and they end up putting money into the general funds, and funding the illegals, kinda like the conservation lisc plate goes into general fund, but it was touted as a money raiser for wildlife. but in reality its just a new way to raise money for corrupted budgets, they would rather raise taxes then spend  like common folk are supposed to do, within their means, and onlky what they can afford. >:(

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2008, 10:22 AM »
i think it's total bull****. how long has maine gone without a saltwater fishing license? like forever right? and all of a sudden, someone, somewhere up in the big wig chain decided it was time to steal another free recreational activity, and make people like us pay for it. i saw in the morning sentinel that they were talkin prices of 15-25 bux for the saltwater license. i see a lot of guides losing buisness and money. what family from mass. is going to drop 3-500 bux for a 1 day fishing trip, and then buy a saltwater license for everyone on top of that?  i am so against this, it's not right by any means, no matter who is gonna get the revenue from it. what's the states anti-drug program.....get kids hooked on fishing or somethin like that? pretty hard to get a kid into fishing when it cost an arm and a leg to do it. pretty soon we're gonna have to wait 3 days before we can pick up a fishing rod after buying it.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2008, 10:55 AM »
It seems to be too covenient for the state after trying to take this frredom for the last three years to say that we got to do it or else N.O.A.A. going to do it. It's like saying we're going to steal from you first before the feds do it.
Steve

Offline Fishingfool_2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Can I be your friend? ;D ;D   I'll take all your saltwater tackle if you really give it away.   :thumbsup:
Just to help you out. :roflmao:

Man, what a hot potato this topic is. 

My two cents - I don't like paying more in fees and I believe the d@m Dems in Augusta are always on the lookout for a way to pick our pockets.  But, with that said, I would happily pay for the privilege of fishing for Maine's salt water species if they could get it so everyone on the eastern seaboard was fishing under similar (if not the same) regulations.  With or without a license, it burns my tail that we have such strict regs in Maine while Mass is still commercially fishing for Stripers and Chesapeake Bay can keep many and smaller fish. Why does Maine have to preserve the fishery for everyone else to enjoy? 

Tell me this doesn't get you more than a license -- 
http://www.asmfc.org/speciesDocuments/stripedBass/stateRegulations/stripedBassRegs08.pdf

OR this:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/regulations/sbrecseasons/sbregmap05.html
Herb

:icefish:

Offline slammer6500

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Someday, someone will teach me to love Ice Fishing
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:06 PM »
This is complete and utter nonsense, screw the State, and the Gov, They take enough money from us, And yet The week of Christmas we got a 53' trailer full of small refrigerators and freezers from top to bottom nose to the back doors, dropped off to our depot, and we had to deliver them to all doctors offices and health centers, every last one of them was paid for by THE STATE OF MAINE...and I'm sure the doctor could have bought 3 at Lowes or Home Depot for the price of 1 of these...They could have taken all that money and put it back into the School's that they are cutting the budget's on...... I've just had it with politicians, every one of them are useless, liars, and clueless.......

Thank You,
                        slammer6500
                             :pinch:

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:19 PM »
New York State just announced that they too will have a saltwater license next year at the same rate as the fresh water one. Another big mistake and another tax!

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Bill should be written in a way that buying a freshwater license plus add a $5 stamp for salt water - all others $10-$15 for saltwater
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:57 PM »
You keep hearing from our elected bloodsuckers that they are protecting us and our resources. In 1802 Thomas Jefferson  told us to look out for our freedom because our elected officials will take them away if they can. He also said:

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

I predict future happiness for all American if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under  the pretense of taking care of them.

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

This last one is very interesting from a guy way back in 1802.

I believe that the banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

I'm getting down off my soapbox now before the FBI gets here to arrest me.
Steve

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Book him Danno!   :callcops: :clap: :clap:

Offline tigershark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 26, 2008, 05:36 PM »