The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shelters in wind  (Read 984 times)

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
Shelters in wind
« on: Dec 24, 2008, 10:54 AM »
We all deal with the four letter "w" word (wind) in Wyoming.  Just was curious to see what others have had luck with for shelters & have held up the best.  If you have a home made one that you have found works well in the wind, please post pic.

Offline pathfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shelters in wind
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Sorry no pic

My uncle used his snowmobile sled and built some wind walls that attached to it with pins for easy removal, the tarp was cut out of an old canvas wall tent that he picked up at an auction for little to nothing.  the tent had been burned so he just salvaged what he could.  I used it on more than one occasion and it worked well.  Not as good as one that is totally enclosed but it's still warmer that standing in the wind.  Oh and by the way he is at boysen right know and is using the same setup that he built in the 70's.  sometimes less is more.

ERIC

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:23 PM »
This is a homemade jobbie. There is an anchor rope attached to the skis on the back of the hut. I always face that end into the wind. On the end of the anchor rope, away from the hut, is a two foot piece of rebar tied off balance so it will slip into an augered hole and back out. The rebar is pulled tight to the underside of the ice and and the rope is pulled taunt before any of the holes inside the shelter are drilled. Holes are marked, the shelter is pushed to the side and the holes are drilled. Once the shelter is realigned, the slush is moved against the base to lock down the hut and not allow any wind leak. Also you might notice there is a strap that is securing the center of the covering to keep it from flapping. This is a good shelter for winds under 25 mph. It is a little tall at six and a half feet and would be better for high winds if a person cut down the profile. It has withstood wind gusts of 30-40 mph but I was a little uncomfortable with the situation.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2008, 02:11 PM »
what is the tarp made of?

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Two layers of plastic with a one inch dead air space.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2008, 11:02 PM »
I had a very similar shack. Coming home from Keyhole the tie downs came loose that were holding the shack dowm to my atv trailer. The fish house opened up like a parachute and it was tied to my 4wheeler. Scarry deal at 75mph. Other than that I never had it in the wind.
      I have a kit from cabelas now where you supply yourown wood. I have had trouble setting it up in the wind though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.