Author Topic: Walking by tipups and they go off..  (Read 4388 times)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Walking by tipups and they go off..
« on: Feb 04, 2004, 07:10 PM »
Maybe it is just a coincidence but I cannot tell you how many times this has happend.. I'll be jigging or sucking on a beer and decide to get up and check the tip ups and when doing so at least 1 time every 2-3 trips I will be walking up to a tip up and it goes off, or sometimes just walking by one and it get triggered.. It just seems odd to me its like walking on the ice drums the fish up or makes them take your bait..Obviously it doesn't work all the time or ice fisherman would be the thinest people in the world because we would all be running around in circles on the ice all day.. Anybody else experience anything like this.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
Re: Walking by tipups and they go off..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2004, 07:27 PM »
Well I have had them hit walking AWAY from a tip-up, just my luck, flag when I get back to the shanty...LOL...But maybe it is kinda like they sense you and figure its lunch now or I'm outta here...and if their hungry.....

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2004, 07:36 PM »
Let the force be with you deadsmeltheadwalker

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Let the force be with you deadsmeltheadwalker
LMAO

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2004, 11:02 PM »
I got a flag before I could even get up off of the ice after putting the tip-up in the water.  It was cool because at first the minnow was hardly taking the line down and then it starting going in real fast.  I thought it was just a strong swimmer. LOL... it was really a northern swimming away!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:06 AM »
Yes the walk up to the tip up and it go's off thing has happened to me many times.  A fishing buddy of mine from Vt. and me decided it was fish that would come up and watch the bait minnow.  This fish would maybe know somwthing was wrong and was wondering if it should eat the minnow (bare with me here, we are giving the reasing ability of the fish some room).  When said fish hears (or sences) you moving to him/her, the natural instinc to grab the food and run takes over. :)
Anyways this became our theory and because of it when things would get slow we would shuffel through the tip ups every know and then "trolling" for a bite?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

missfishylicious

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2004, 07:42 AM »
I agree with dog fish for all those guys who get peed at snowmobiles and augers makeing noise I think it gets the fish moveing in this way just my 2 cents well I'm off to oneida lake if I can fit the sled in my car cause the trucks broke down needs a fuel pump last week it was the brakes and the week before it was the oil lines guess it's time to look for a new one  :o

fishmann

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2004, 11:28 AM »
Naaahhhhhh missfishylicious, you've just about got all the stuff replaced!! Why would you want to get everything working, then sell it so the next guy gets all those good new parts?? Besides, like I tell my customers, you can spend a couple hundred on your vehicle every couple months when something breaks, or you can just buy a different one and know for sure you're going to spend several hundred every month, plus increased insurance costs, possible higher license costs, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, and good luck out on Oneida Lake today, wherever that is.  :)

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:09 PM »
Yep, happened to me before.  Sat for a while and there was no action at all.  Along comes a warden and as he walks up to me the flags start going off!  Caught a couple while he waited.  I asked if he could stick around a while because it was the only fish all day, but he had to move on!! :'( :'( :'(

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Little Brown Dog.....The warden just put on a drive for you.   LOL  I've seen guys walk up to their tip-ups and stomp on the ice. They say it causes the minnie to swim faster making any near by fish hit.

P.S.  It's called the "Walleye Stomp"

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2004, 06:54 PM »
For walleyes, i've noticed that a snowmobiler makes it slow, or even the sound of my power auger.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

BOOB

« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2004, 09:18 PM »
Mine usually go off in the pack basket.

mooseslayer

« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2004, 11:08 PM »
WHEN IM FISHING FOR TROUT IN SHALLOW WATER AND THE BITE IS SLOW I TAKE A TRIP AROUND THE TIPUPS WITH MY SNOWMOBILE. 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 I WILL GET AT LEAST 1 FLAG. HAVE ALSO SEEN IT WORK AS YOU WALK UP BUT NOT AS FREQUENTLY.

missfishylicious

« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:12 AM »
ANOTHER THEORY yestarday I had one go off as i was walking up to it ....it was a little walleye ..when we left I was takeing up that tip up and there was a good sized walleye on it and it hadn't been tripped ....I think the tip up may have been set in spot where the fish just naturally lay and they would just lay there with the bait in there mouth until you walked over and spooked them..like i said just another theory  ;D

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2004, 08:29 AM »
I've had mine go up as I walked up to it,as I walked away  from it, and as soon as i put it down ( hit them in the head)! Any way you slice it "flag up" is a good thing!  I also lift my tip-up up off the ice 4-5 ft and let minnow fall back down when I check my tip-ups.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

zoom

« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:07 AM »
MY THEROY is your movement gets the minnow swiming alot more when he hears /feels you walking and any fish undecided watching your bait cant resist i also believe it makes the fish make a decision to hit or run with the increased movement and the sounds your surely putting off !!!zoom

Offline FingerLakesBen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2004, 02:13 PM »
you guys might be on to something as far as noise causing the fish to grab the bait.  mine always go when natures calls.  that thump on the ice always send a flag up, ooohhh thats cold!!   :o :D :D ;D

oneshot

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Please do not take a dump on the ice. ;)

Offline FingerLakesBen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2004, 02:31 PM »
no dumpage here    :-X   8)  :D

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Now that I see some of you have had simaler experiences I wil not feel too akward starting a fish catching dance the next time I am out .. LOL
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline bushman-wi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • wisc. goatboy
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2004, 07:36 PM »
i caught a pike watching the minnow get to the bottom of the ice one time. just as it got there, he came thru and grabbed the minnow ,not 2 feet from my face. bushman
chasing flags and drinking beer, what a life!

Mudbug

« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2004, 09:47 PM »
when you drive under street lights, do they go out?

fishguts.

« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:11 PM »
i agree with the ones that say a noise will get them to hit sometimes,,, espically pike. ive seen it may times, last week was slow and i did a little plowing around the shanty and sure enough two tipups clos to the shanty weent up. ive also seen my frend last year catch a pike rebait and as he was lowering the tipup in the hole wamm another bite and the flag wiped him in the kisser!! that made my day ;D

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Read this the other day and tried it today and whether it was coincidence or not I started to check the tip-ups and bam!!!!!!!!!! the flag went up and caught the biggest perch so far , a nice 13 inch beauty!!!!!!!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2004, 02:38 PM »
Was out with my brother on Thurs., and he wasn't getting any flags. Already having a couple of nice perch on the ice, I decided to check his depth with the FL-18. Looked like he was too deep, so raised the minnow a few in. and said,"there's a fish under your rig''. Moved the transducer a bit for a better look and nudged the tip-up which went off. My bro came over and stated to lift it to reset, when I mentioned his line was going sideways. He set the hook on a 13'' plus perch, his biggest ever. Lucky I walked by his tip-up, eh?

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:44 PM »
Last year when ice fishing with a friend we were checking our tipups, we got to the last one and were standing next to it warming our hands before getting them wet again. the flag went up and the tipup started dancing on the ice as the reel was zing out the line. My partner played the fish for about 15 min. before getting it to the hole then he had to roll up his sleeve to turn the fish so it would come up. low and behold it was a 27" 7lb Brown Trout. From that day forward I believe in fish drives.       

Mudbug

« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2004, 02:43 AM »
does this occurance occur only with tip ups?

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Yea, same things happen to me. It is strange at times because it even seems like certain phrases that you say like "Im going to sit and jig", and as you sit your butt down :'( ;). Also, when things are slow I drive around my tipups. I agree that it stirs up the minnows a little.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

hard_waterer

« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Superstion is bad luck! My Flags never go up when I'm looking at them, I just glance at my buddies and the go up. So I spend my day looking at my feet untill someone tells me I havve a flag. I think I'm getting a foot fetish.

sam001

« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:29 PM »
When its slow we will drive our truck around the outside edge of our tip-ups, we normally get a flag within 15 minutes! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.