Author Topic: 1 MAN FLIP OVER SHANTY HELP !  (Read 4499 times)

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
1 MAN FLIP OVER SHANTY HELP !
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 12:47 PM »
Need to down size due to my buddies job changed , mostly fish by myself and wanna buy a 1 man but have never really checked them out , can you guys tell what you have, and why you picked it over other models (size,weight,seating etc.) thanks for info !!!

Offline Ded Dux

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1 MAN FLIP OVER SHANTY HELP !
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Fish Trap Pro. I love it, however I think there are others made now that werent around when I bought mine. The Rover 1.5 looks very comparable but I have never fished from one. I think my trap weights 55 lbs. or so empty. The flip overs do make you very mobile but they have no floor. The floor thing is no big deal to me, as most guys have warm boots for icefishing anyway. A buddy heater is a nice addition to the trap for staying warm. Something to look for in any flip over is that the inside of the "tent" part is black. This helps a lot when sight fishing! Just my 2 cents, I am sure others will chime in on this one also. ;)

Offline gillbuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 12:56 PM »
what do you have now? I have clam pro and love it not real heavy but awkward to load when full of gear . Nice to get into shelter and not to hard to move when want to.

Offline smoke_eater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:07 PM »
I have a rover 1.5 and have had loved it and it does have a sliding seat in it and you are able to get your feet off of the ice. The new frabill dlx model I have got to say is the best thing going. Their seat has got to be the  most comfy goin and they are just awesome. I just got my trekker dlx and it is worth every penny. Just plain awesome. I put it together at the fire station and almost slept in it, just plain awesome.
chris
Greatest quote ever "Whatcha going to do...fish your life away"...well hell yes!!!

Offline cooner2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:11 PM »
Fish Trap Pro

Can't imagine a one man shanty much better.

Dave Genz really nailed this one

Cooner2

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:16 PM »
I researched this one last year and took the overwhelming advice, the Fish Trap Pro! An awesome one-man flip-over shanty, very happy with it!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Dont buy a fish trap without looking at the otter's. The traps are nice but they are miserable to pull through snow, the sled on the otter is more durable and pulls like a dream compared to the traps. I would also look at the new frabill's, I havent fished out of one but they look pretty nice in the advertisements.

Offline gaddabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch um-hunt um!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I got a Rover 1.0 and I really like it. I am 6'3" 225 lbs...perfect for me but noway for two. Pulls easy and easy to load in pickup. Got a free travel cover from Shappell when I bought it. Very nice....Gaddabout
Fishy Fishy In da Brook,Come Bite On Grandpa's Hook!

Gaddabout is my nickname, No affiliation with the newspaper.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:15 PM »
Dont buy a fish trap without looking at the otter's. The traps are nice but they are miserable to pull through snow, the sled on the otter is more durable and pulls like a dream compared to the traps. I would also look at the new frabill's, I havent fished out of one but they look pretty nice in the advertisements.

I would agree with r3foxx.  I have a Pro and I love it....except it pulls through snow terrible.  I can load my Pro and give it a good push from behind and it might go 10 feet.  If I loaded my Jet Sled and pushed it I bet it would go 50 feet...and that's no joke!  If they have changed the tubs they are worth it.  I liked the otters too...especially the square tubing.  They seem a more heavy duty.  I think they cost more also.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Fish trap scout, and the shapell Rover are the Right size to pull around and load into a vehicle. I use the Rover, but I like the Fish Trap also. Don't get it to big or you won't be mobil, you will just stay put on dead water rather than go looking for fish.

Offline Triton 205

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hoosier Walleye Association
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:30 PM »
Fish trap scout at Gander for 249.00 or my pick the Frabil Trekker 299.00 North Indy store and both are worthy.

Offline littled62

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 219-670-9620
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I have the fish trap pro, easy to set up, comfortable seat and more room inside than the scout, wife has the Eskimo 150 it is about a foot taller, and longer and wider, I don't like the bench seat, she does, it cost less than the pro and weighs about the same, I have a 05 dodge with a 6 foot bed, both will fit back there with about a foot to spare

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:35 PM »
I have the Scout.  I am 6' 2"  ~220 lbs. and it is just the right size for me.  Haven't really noticed any issue with pulling through normal snow, yesterday it was a pain but then again it was 12 inches of snow with so many snowmobile bumps, I don't imagine any shelter would pull easily through that.  It fits perfectly in the back of my Expedition if you put the third row seats down, so you don't have to worry about it sliding back and forth, and you still have a good foot and a half on the side to put other gear so it will all fit in the back with no worries of tearing the leather seats.  My only complaint is the seat is not very comfortable.  I have thought about modifying it with a boat seat or something a little wider and more cushion, but that project has yet to happen in the last couple years, maybe next year.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline discofro2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:51 PM »
I like the looks of the Otter Den, although I have not used it.   Also it is more expensive compareable.  Check out some of the Links and Mods that are out there.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/shelters/shelters_otter.html
http://www.hanson-outdoors.com/OtterDenMods.html

I have the scout that I got used, not such a big fan.  it is hard to find the room on the ice for the Vex, lantern, 2 holes and land a fish.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I have the older otter den. The new ones use the small ultra wide sled, 6"wider than mine.It is a great shelter. You could fish two guys in it if you wanted. Plenty of room for one man,vex ,heater and stuff.If you have to pull it through snow it can be heavy though, all shelters pull hard in snow. That being said I have a frabill ultra lite [newer model simaler to the recon] and it is light and very easy to pull. I haven't taken the otter out this year because of thin ice, but the frabill is 25 pounds lighter. There is not much room, but I can get the vex and heater set up in it. No seat I use a bucket. The otter on the other hand is VERY comfy. You might check the otter web sight, thay have the older models on sale sometimes. One other thing, the small otter sled on my unit is that, SMALL. It is 56" long but only 26" wide and can't really get much more in than the Frabill ultra lite.I am installing 6" wide uhmw plastic runners on it this week to help it get through the snow. I'll see how that works.
Paul

Offline stonecold16

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:44 PM »
I have the fish  trap scout and love it .  Fits in the back of my girlfriends honda crv and easy for me to load and drag.  Carries all my stuff no problem.

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I've had a Rover 1.0 for many seasons and it still works great. Pulled behind ole Betsy the quad for 4 or 5 yrs and still ready to go!!
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:38 PM »
1.0 rover works great for me...I like to move around alot and thats the best for me!! :tipup:

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:41 AM »
I've had a Clam Scout for 6 years now and Ive wore it out almost,it will make it through this season,but I'll purchase another one this Summer when I can get it cheaper,its been all over the US,if youre a hole driller and move alot I recommend this hut,lightest one I have ever owned,Ive been known to travel 2-3 miles a day on the ice,and that light hut makes it easier on this ole man,

Jimmy

Offline Ded Dux

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:15 AM »
FYI- The scout and the pro have the SAME tub, just turned in a different way.

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:38 AM »
I have an Eskimo Sport Flip and love it!! Pulls easy, lots of room, built in reflectors. No complaints.
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
Job 37:10

Jesus was the best fisherman!! Luke 5:6

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:47 AM »
Another thing I have noticed about the one man flip huts, is that some of them have the groves or runners on the bottom of the tub going opposite from the pull rope. In other words when it snowy or the ice has a slush on top they are He!! to pull. Just pay attention to that unless you are up for a real workout. LOL

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:43 AM »
I have the Rover 1 and love it.  I'm a big guy and I have plenty of room for me and my gear. Weights about 40lbs and easy to load and unload.  The nice feature is that you can leave it half up to block the wind if you choose.  Seat is a little low for me so I sit on a boat cushion which also can serve as a kneeing cushion on the ice.  My wife loves it also.  She said we should sell the Shappel 3000 double person and get another Rover for her.  By the way the rover 1 was replaced by the rover 1.5.  Just a couple of inches bigger is the only difference.

Offline discofro2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:24 PM »
BTW

A lot of guys are talking about having trouble on pulling sleds or tubs in the snow.  I got a pair of cross country skies and mounted them to the bottom.  After a little bit of candle wax, no problem at all.

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:30 PM »
i have the fish trap pro n it work great for me fits in the caravan nicely and if i had to could fit a friend but would be tight. also you can get any part for it and dont have to buy a new one every 5 or 10 yrs

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2008, 01:40 PM »
I just bought the new flip over from Bass Pro.  It is made by Clam.  Same size as the trap guide but only 44 pounds because there is no seats in it.  You have to bring a bucket or folding chair.  2 people with plenty of room.  I will give up the bench or the seats for less weight.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Ive had a pro for about 4 years. Very nice design. As far as pulling, I think it sucks to pull anything. The one complaint that I have is that I catch wind from the sides. There is extra canvas to prevent this but it still seems to catch wind. As far as portable, you cant go wrong.

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Ive had a pro for about 4 years. Very nice design. As far as pulling, I think it sucks to pull anything. The one complaint that I have is that I catch wind from the sides. There is extra canvas to prevent this but it still seems to catch wind. As far as portable, you cant go wrong.
i fold all my flaps under my sled then put snow on them from inside and surround outside w/snow also. it takes care of that draft that gets in

Offline gillnut1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Fishtrap Pro. 5years old like new and no troubles :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.