Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Never seen this before.....  (Read 5355 times)

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
Never seen this before.....
« on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:44 PM »
I fished Lake X using chicken legs today, and did pretty good.  Quite a few crappies and perch, plus I caught one keeper walleye.  Unfortunately, the walleye had some sort of growth on it.  I've never seen this before.  I filleted the fish (didn't eat it!) and the skin wasn't marked at all onthe inside.  Growth was only on the right side.  Anyone ever seen this before?

Mike

Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
Re: Never seen this before.....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:53 PM »
Ive seen similar on a big walleye I got out of the river in NY...was told it is warts ???   Not too sure though

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:24 PM »
I would guess that it's viral.  I had warts on my hand as a kid...only one one hand though....but many of them.  The fact that it wasn't in the meat is another sign it isn't a parasite.  I found that on a yellow perch this past weekend also.  One side only. 
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:06 PM »
Good ole iowa farming chemicals at work there.  Adds some taste to the fish.  Mmmm pesticides ;D
Something to expect from a state that has the most lax enviromental laws in the nation.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:43 AM »
My favorite was watching a lawn care co. apply chemicals to a lawn that was lakeside on west...and I've seen tow behind sprayers.  I find it ironic most the people don't fish...if there's enough water to float the Baja...they are fine.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:06 AM »
They say that walleyes are more prone to getting it but you can find it on other species of fish too; ive found it on bluegills before.  During winter the fish are supposed to be more prone to developing it due to stress from low o2 levels, work, relationships, etc.  ;D

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Jeez crappiebuster, that was kind of a cheap shot at the farmer.  To use a broad based statement saying farming chemicals are the culprit seems unfair.  I happen to know where that fish was caught and I can fairly confidently say farm chemicals were not the cause.  Acre for acre it is a known fact more chemicals are applied in the urban areas than the rural.  Lastly, as a farmer each year I have to get recertified to use chemicals and have to maintain a log of every chemical I apply so I am aware of the benefits and consequences of farming chemicals.  Plus I'll bet I have planted at least 10,000 more trees than you.  Go easy on the broad-based cheap shots next time.  That's how rumors get started.

Offline Bigairjer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:07 PM »
I will agree coming from Iowa with all the ag and livestock that comes from this state, that we need to becareful of what we say.  What happens in nature only one person has controll over it.  Life is not full of PERFECTION.  I'm sure Crappiebuster meant no harm on any of us.

Offline handaugrr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:26 PM »
  CrappieBuster: remember your remark when you leave your Brewski on the ice

Offline buffettphan606

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:57 PM »
Right on Buster, Get some!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:13 PM »
I fished Lake X using chicken legs today, and did pretty good.  Quite a few crappies and perch, plus I caught one keeper walleye.  Unfortunately, the walleye had some sort of growth on it.  I've never seen this before.  I filleted the fish (didn't eat it!) and the skin wasn't marked at all onthe inside.  Growth was only on the right side.  Anyone ever seen this before?

Mike
Yep, I caught a number of fish on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi which were infected with something which looked pretty much like that. I had a cut on my hand and one one occasion had to take a heavy dose of antibiotics to get rid of a persistent, blistered rash the doctor told me was mycobacterium. I'm not saying that's absolutely what's going on with your fish, but it sure looks like what my fish were infected with. I kept a couple, froze them and turned them over to the MS Department of Marine Resources. They called me and the biologist gave me the explanation it was caused by heavy mercury content, warm, bacteria breeding water, complicated by fish being injured/and/or the presence of that strain of bacteria. I'd say handle 'em carefully, especially if you have any kind of cut or abrasion.
                                                                             LT
                                                                             Iceshanty Moderator  :tipup:

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2008, 11:52 PM »
Good ole iowa farming chemicals at work there.  Adds some taste to the fish.  Mmmm pesticides ;D
Something to expect from a state that has the most lax environmental laws in the nation.
I'm a farmer in NY and the pesticide law are pretty strict!  I have to re certify every 6 yrs.  Plus our spray consultant says there are alot of chemicals out there that will take care of our pests however they either stay in the environment too long or affect non-target species or..or...or.. so next time you talk to a farmer ask him what the costs are crop protection are.  The reason for that cost (other than most all of the pecticides used in the us are made by the pharmaceutical companies) all of the research that goes on before a product get approved for use.
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:03 AM »
Correct...it's the bacteria in the water, at least I know it took almost a year for my Doctor to cure what I caught from handling that fish with a scrape on my hand that got infected. There was an article in the Gulf Coast Outdoors Saltwater Fishing Magazine a few years ago that described the thing perfectly, with pics. Not only that, there's a strain of it on the TX Gulf Coast that has cost several salt water wade-fishermen life and limb...some sort of flesh-eating variety. I tell ya guys, that thing is nothing to mess around with. I see the clowns on the outdoor channels kissing their bass before releasing and I think, yeah, I hope ya don't have chapped lips, cause if you do, you ain't gonna like what's coming! :woot:
                                                                              LT
                                                                              Iceshanty Moderator  :tipup:
Then there's this Iowa State University site, particularly, "Can I be infected by bacteria marinum" There's also a picture of what it looks like when a human is infected. Don
http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/FastFacts/pdfs/mycobacterium_marinum_F.pdf

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Chemical laws arent very strict in iowa.  My buddy had his entire garden wiped out and he was over 300 feet from the nearest farm field.  Good ole farmer sprayed on a 15mph windy day blew right into his 20x30 garden wiped everything out!  Over 200 dollars in month old plants.    Wonder what would happen if the farmers crops got damaged by someone?  He'd prolly get a check from the goverment. 

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2008, 12:05 PM »
Crappiebuster, your comments are so true!  Good job buddy!  ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2008, 12:47 PM »
Wow, that's tragic and surely not that good for your fish population. That particular bacteria usually catches on when a fish has a depressed immune system (pollutants) or an injury.  :embarassed:  LT

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:28 PM »
When our crops are killed by a herbicide we do not get a check from the government!!! And it costs us farmers  more than 200 dollars, your friend should have confronted the person who sprayed or company that had sprayed they might have compensated him for his losses!

Offline Bigairjer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Chemicals and Pesticides are fine when used with companies specifications, like rate and dosage.  The problem is when applicators and companies are careless and negligent.  It just takes a few to  make a bad situation.  Just remember what it takes to make this world work, EVERYONE, nobody is perfect. 

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2008, 05:41 PM »
The only fish that I have caught with "warts" was a walleye. It was in the middle of summer on a lake in Minnesota, no where near a farm or factory......... looks nasty. But it is something you will never forget!

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:28 PM »
From what I've read, as well as from talking to a friend from the PWT, this fish's wart are likely a virus and have nothing to do with chemicals.  Apparently, this is actually pretty common on Lake Erie.  It's also fairly contagious unfortunately.  I fish this lake pretty frequently, so we'll see what the future holds.  Thanks for all the replies.

Mike
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline mydogcarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:13 PM »
CrappieBuster, I’m very sorry to make this my first post on the site, but your comments on this thread are completely ludicrous  ::)  Sorry your buddy lost his entire garden; however, if your assertions are correct that Mr. Good Ole Farmer was the culprit, that is pretty easy to establish and your buddy would be completely compensated for his loss.  If indeed the farmer/applicator applied chemicals (most likely glyphosate/ i.e. Roundup) on a day that the wind was blowing 15 mph, that would constitute negligence.

Off my soapbox now and hopefully CrappieBuster is off his witch-hunt…  yuk, that definitely does look nasty!
Mike

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:42 PM »
It's not a witch hunt and im not pointing my finger at anyone in particular but its a problem we need to adress. I think other people would agree with me on Iowa being very polluted due to poor farming practices.  Why is the water green everywhere you go?  Why do we have problems with silt?  And fish kills almost every week in small streams? 
Heres a list food for thought.... 445 impaired waterways.....Thats not so bad is it.
http://wqm.igsb.uiowa.edu/wqa/303d/2008/Draft08IR_Cat-5_303d.pdf

And a chart of nitrogen levels in streams.
http://www.iowadnr.com/water/nutrients/files/nload.pdf

Rivers in Iowa among the nation's most highly polluted
Des Moines Register Analysis
Perry Beeman, Register staff writer
March 24, 2006

A March 2006 anaysis by the Des Moines Register reports that Iowa’s water-quality rank as some of the most polluted in the nation – specifically fecal bacteria, phosphorous and nitrogen pollution – all three of which can come from large-scale factory farms.

Offline mydogcarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:14 PM »
CrappieBuster, I would like to agree with you on the last post.  There is a definite need for continual improvement in Iowa’s waterways.  And yes, part of the problem unquestionably stems from Iowa being a heavily dependent agricultural state.  However, progress has, and continues, to be made.

I apologize for the ‘witch hunt’ accusation.  That stemmed from your quick assertion that the growths seen on this walleye were caused by mismanaged pesticide applications.  Something that is completely unfounded.  Also, the Good Ole Farmer accusation seemed to be nothing but a red herring.  Again, I apologize…  I believe we are a lot closer on our opinions than you might think?
Mike

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:21 PM »
I'm not going to deny that there are some bad neighbor farmers out there.  In fact I know there are.  My point is I get very uncomfortable when there is a broad based smear statement made with little merit to back it up.  Nitrate levels can come from a lot of sources.  Not all of which are coming from the farmer.   How many lakes have a beautiful green lush golf course built right beside them?  I can count quite a few and they are lush and green for a reason.  Hmmmm.  How many city sewers systems use lake water to complete the system???  In fact most lakes have large buffer strips from farmland but not from lawns of urbandwellers.  I know from my standpoint my conscience is clear that I have done more to promote wildlife as a farmer than to destroy it.  This is my last post on this subject.  I just wanted to get my point out there that I was very offended by the broad based comment made earlier in this post.  I guess if you want to keep bashing the farmer, go ahead, we are used to being easy prey at the bottom of the food chain.  However, if you want to remain positive and show intelligence then come up with an educated, realistic, and viable solution. 

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:51 AM »
well all i have to say on this   is   you can have all of the laws   training  ect but when   it gets to be silly season  (in the feild )   most dont look back have to get all done in one day  or the most land covereed in one day  windy or not     i have seen it many of times been arond farming all of my life     no fingers pointed  but some people   just dont have a clue what thay are doing at all   unless ther at coffie in the moring telling how many acers  thay covered yesterday

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:19 AM »
I guess if you want to keep bashing the farmer, go ahead, we are used to being easy prey at the bottom of the food chain.  However, if you want to remain positive and show intelligence then come up with an educated, realistic, and viable solution. 

5th post... can you tell the contributions coming ahead?
Besides CD... since your so educated on pesticide use you would also know that the PRIMARY cause for these problems is the ag application of pesticides... not to minimize the urban problem, however it doesn't make up for over 20% of what your trying to argue.

By the way your lake could be many miles away from the nearest field or "pesticide" area and you could still have major pesticide pollution problems.  I'm sure CD would enlighten you on this since he takes his classes every year. 

Crappie I think that you raised a very good point, and it's gonna be a hot issue...

Pool 9 Pro

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:32 AM »
Nationally the pesticide laws are very strict  and states can only make the laws stricter  yes run off can be a problem but they are strictly supervised   the fault may be in enforcement   drift issues must be addressed immediately   if it was to have happened and got your garden the person spraying is responsible  did the person contact the farmer?   or the state environmental protection agency    if anything I have seen in the last year was a major cut back of application  due to the cost,  fuel/spray materials,  Farmers dont want the materials to go anywhere off their crops
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Don't think the blame should go on the farmer at all, after all he knows what is good and what is not good concerning chemicals being applied to the ground.
After all uncle sam would not miss lead anybody, they KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR US WE SHOULD DEPEND ON THEM TO PROTECT US, as long as uncle sam hasn't issued a don't eat the fish warning from lake X don't worry about it.    Come on lets lay the blame where the blame is do, the chemicals company knows what is best for his pocket book and that is paying uncle sam to tell us it is not bad for the enviroment.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:17 AM »
  Either I am catching way more walleyes per season than most or I'm fishing in extremely polluted lakes.  Since I've started fishing in 2005 the number of walleyes caught with a growth on them has been way over one hundred.  Okoboji, Five Island, Lost Island, Spirit lake, Clear Lake, I would think twice before going water skiing.  One more observation that doesn't make sense is that of all the walleyes caught  in the Des Moines River only one fish has had a growth.  Coincidence, or the river is cleaner.  I will say that the walleye fillets out of the river are awfully white and good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.