The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: St. Joe County  (Read 6073 times)

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St. Joe County
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2009, 01:19 PM »
yup...the public access is right off of m66 just north of sturgis...I dont fish it much so i cant say if it'll b worth it.  but, there are tons of other lakes in the area and you could always have a back up plan..

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
  • @#*% work lets fish!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:20 PM »
 Never fished Prairie so I'm not real sure where to go ,but I'm thinking about giving it a shot. Its either there or was thinking abot Corey or Pleasant. A freind of mine said he wasnt doing to bad on Pleasant. I'm not sure where to go yet, but I'll be out somewhere tommorrow morning.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:42 PM »
Prairie Lake is one of the only lakes that i have heard of that big gills are biting fairly consistent.  I went out today and my magical black and red jig wasnt cutting it. Went out and talked to a guy that comes there regularly he is using a green front, yellow back w/ gold sparkles and mousies. he told me that he has caught everytime he comes out either 12 to 20 nice gills. but you need to drill holes and move.  so i tried it and in 5 minutes in my shanty i caught {5} 7-8" gills and one 10" crappie.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Schragg

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:17 AM »
I don't think it's so much about the fish biting.  There are fish biting in every lake.  It's just a matter of finding them.  Just my opinion.  Some people only catch fish early ice and wonder why they dont catch any as the season progresses.  They don't realize as the ice thickens and weeds die that the fish move deeper.  Just an example. 

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:03 AM »
 Where do you go from the access to catch the fish? I think I am going to head that way this afternoon. Let me know if you are going to be out.I dont have a shanty but I will be in all black carhartts with an ice box.

Offline moldman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Fellow Fishers, Wife and I did pretty well on the gills wednesday at the stumps on lake templene off lakeview drive. Had to sort but finished with a limit of nice gills. Others say fishing near dark is the best,we left at 3 pm. Fished Gilead lake for the first time, south of Bronson this morning, nothing but small gills. Nobody was doing any good. How about Klinger, never fished it, any help on where to try for perch or gills would be deeply appreciated. How much ice and snow on Klinger? Thanks, will post fishing reports here, only honest no bull given.

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Haven't had time to do much fishing, but i'm planning on getting out to klinger on sunday.  I know people fish for gills straight out from the access but i havent before.  And there always seems to be quite a few shanties out by the marina...don't know what they r fishing for. 

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:08 AM »
 Havent been on Klinger recently but a week and a half ago had about 5 inches of ice. I usually fish out in front of the marina in 15 to 20 fow.Havent done very well out there yet this year but the ones I have got were decent gill and specs.I plan to get out there a couple time this weekend Ill keep you posted. Thanks for update on Temp might have to give that a shot also.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2009, 04:27 PM »
I have my permanent ice shanty out on prairie! its red just to the north of the landing!! i think i would try farther north from where all the holes are!?!?! thats where im gonna move it to tomorrow i think?!!! the bite was very slow. only got 6 keeps from 7AM till noon. quite a few small ones.

Any one been out to corey, thompson, lee, omena, or saddlebags in marcellus<????

keep your stick on the ICE"

schragg

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Prairie Lake!! I brought home 17 keepers today!! my fishing partner took home 12 keepers!! Pretty good morning of fishing!! Had to auger some new holes away from the comfort of the pannie shanty!!! but it was worth it! going back in the morning! i want to get a northern pike out of there! gonna pull out all the tricks tomorrow!!!

Where is everyone else been going in Beautiful St. Joe County?

"keep your stick on the ice!"

Schragg

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:23 AM »
 Spent the day on Fisher over by three rivers.Caught one pike and a few gills.It was pretty slow.Great job schragg I couldnt get out this morning but may try to get to prarie this afternoon. How is the evening bite over there???

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Fishfreak!

i have been out there for an evening bite only once this year and caught 8 keeper bluegill. im gonna head over to fisher lake tomorrow morning and see if i cant get into some gills!!! where were you at on the lake? little fisher?

schragg

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:46 PM »
Yes we were on the little lake. I havent seen very much activity on the big lake.Some here and some there. I talked to on fellow who said he has a permanent shanty over in the narrows(not real sure where the narrows are on fisher), but he hasent done real well there yet this year. He said most of the fish are being caught on the little lake and that has been spotty.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:45 PM »
yea thats the only place i have ever iced fished was the little lake. what color jigs were you using?

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:25 PM »
I used chart and green marmooska, chart and orange marmooska, orange and black jigs, purple jig, pink, silver, and black. Tried alot of diff colors and styles and seemd like the marmooskas did the best which still wasnt that good. let me know if u find them out there.

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Has anyone found the fish this week???  I havent been out since the weekend. I think I am going to try Klinger tommorrow. A freind of mine said he lost 2 decent walleye at the hole and got one small pike sunday. He said he was fishing a break straight out from the hotel. had the 2 eyes on a jiggin rap.

Offline bowhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:29 PM »
How the fishing out there\

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Its been pretty slow here have to really work at it to get a decent mess. Hoping the bite picks up this weekend, its supposed to be a little warmer.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:03 PM »
My dad got a 33'', 8 1/2 lbs. northern out on the north end of prairie on tuesday!! other then that the gills have been really slow...its just like you said you need to work to get a decent mess of fish...when you got out in front of the old hotel where do you park???

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:41 AM »
 Here are some fish I got on Pleasant over by Three Rivers yesterday.Not to bad had 21 averaged right around 8 inches. wish they were a bit bigger. Going to Klinger this afternoon to try to find those pig gills I caught last year. ;D ;D ;D[IMGhttp://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh316/fishfreak_photos/DSCN0956.jpg[/IMG]

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:53 AM »

Try this again!!!!!!!

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:01 PM »
fishfreak.
are those the fish from pleasant lake or last year from klinger? i havent done very well at klinger lake for a few years now..i only catch little dinks. where did u catch the big gills last year?

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Those were from Pleasant saturday. Here are some of the ones I got Sunday in about two and a half hours. The crappie and gills were still hitting but I had to leave. 4 crappie were thirteen to fourteen inches and all were over eleven. Gills ranged from eight inches to nine and a half inches. Had a total of eighteen fish. Im going out about 4:30 or so Thurs your welcome if you want to go.These I got on Klinger Sunday.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:08 PM »
NICE fish!! where do u go out on klinger at? from the landing or out in front of the marina? I went out to Mohany Lake tonight and caught some ok bluegills. nothing to really write home about. I heard that it was a really good crappie lake..but i didnt catch any...

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:15 PM »
 I go out from the marina. I have caught some out from the landing but not near as many as I do from the marina. The only hard part is finding a place to park, but I know a few places.I plan on staying later thursday so I can hopefully get a nice mess of those big crappies.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2009, 08:52 AM »
Yea thats the whole problem is the parking.  maybe ill just bring the quad out and ride it over to that side. im going out to lake wammamebe "spelling" in white pigeon this thursday and friday..does anyone konw where the EYES are in that lake?? i have gotten some nice pike out of there..just want to get some EYES...

thanks

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:21 PM »
 I have never fished that lake, I dont know anyone who lives there.I heard you need to have permission to get on that lake. I have seen some huge pike that have come out of there though. I didnt even know there were eyes in that lake. Ive heard some guys are getting wallys on Klinger, but not real sure where but I have see quite a few guys over toward edgewater. Good luck to ya and hope you find them. I also heard a guy got a six and a half pound eye out of Middle lake,but again you need to know someone to get on that lake.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I just found a way back on that lake!! I heard that it had walleye but that could have been a myth. Yea i heard middle lake has some MONSTER pike in it too. Good luck to you tonight out on klinger!!!

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:24 PM »
 Well the fishing was slow. I only got 3 nice crappies and 3 gills.I did watch a guy pull up a 24 inch walleye though.He said the walleye fishing has been very hit and miss.Said this was the first time he tried it out where we were gill fishing.looks like it paid off.

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Here are the fish I got Friday. Went out yesterday afternoon but couldnt get on them not sure what happend I thought we would do good yesterday only got one decent fish and my brother caught that one. Must have had something to do with the weather. Might try it this afternoon the ice should still be ok today, but its going to be getting mushy pretty soon. :'( :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.