Author Topic: Eastman Ice Cube vs Eskimo Quickfish?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline X-Factor

• IceShanty Rookie
Eastman Ice Cube vs Eskimo Quickfish?
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Looking to buy a quick & easy 2 - man ice tent. Anyone have any experience with Ice Cube or Eskimo? Any recomendations? Pak Shack?

10" Ice Auger $400, 12 pack of beer $15, Catching the world record walleye - Priceless.

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eastman Ice Cube vs Eskimo Quickfish?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:54 PM »
I will tell you my Eastman Ice Cube is awsome.  Its light, easy to carry, dark inside, and easy to set up.  I know little about the Quickfish, but did read some scathing reviews when I was considering one.

Fishing is zen.

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I was at my local fishing store the other day looking, and the guy working couldnt say enough good things about the eskimo. I dont have one personally, so take it for what its worth, but he didnt even mention anything about the Ice Cube, even though it was set up right beside the other one. hope it helps

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:03 PM »
The Ice Cubes are nice, but I have done warranty on at least 20-30 over 3 seasons (which is somewhat because we sold a lot of them and partly because the poles snap like toothpicks).  Eskimos haven't been available for a couple seasons because of issues with a lack of fire resistance so I haven't seen one lately and couldn't say much about it.

Offline fishin buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I read that the new eskimo quick fish (red ones not green) are better designed because they changed the zipper so it's not trying to zip over a high tension corner...
. Also one other difference I read is that the ice cube has straps on the outside to tie down the side walls ;eskimo doesnt.From what Ive been reading eskimo is a lil better material .(Ive been looking also so Ive been reading the differnces so i can decide)
Also i seen that costco in Manitoba had eskimo ones on sale,so if that is the case i think I may see if sakatchewan ones have and go pick one up cause there are supposed to be around $50 cheaper than cabelas. :tipup:

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:13 PM »
The Pak Shack is only good on a calm day when not needed. The Eskimo 111 is the pop up I own Clam I believe has a new one out with I think would be better because of the corner tie downs . As far as poles breaking following the instructions I have had no problems I have had it for three seasons and so far so good .This is just my view on these things.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Fishin34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • C&R
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:13 PM »
The Ice Cubes are nice, but I have done warranty on at least 20-30 over 3 seasons (which is somewhat because we sold a lot of them and partly because the poles snap like toothpicks).  Eskimos haven't been available for a couple seasons because of issues with a lack of fire resistance so I haven't seen one lately and couldn't say much about it.

maybe thats why the guy at the store was pushing the eskimo on me so hard. Heck, with my luck, that baby would be blazing first cig of the season,  ;D

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:14 PM »
sub zero...4 man. sic tent.

Offline perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Last year was my 1st season with an ice cube & I love it!!  I put it through one hell of a test one day, had to be 40+ mph wind with only 2 anchors in the ice.  The thing held up like a champ, but I lost the carrying bag for the ice cube.  Long story short, Eastman was happy to replace it free of charge - showed up within 4 days.  The lady on the phone even e-mailed me later to remind me to contact her if I needed any other assistance.  Customer service went a long way for me & I'll remember it!!

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:34 PM »
sub zero...4 man. sic tent.

Sub Zero is the Can Tire brand of Shappell's shack, right?  I think it is and if so, yeah Shappell makes good quality tents.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:08 PM »
yeah it is.  I really put it to the test. tough trips/wicked winds/ shes a beauty.
go w 4 man though. comfortable for 2 avg ppl in it with htr, gear etc.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:13 PM »
I think I would go get a G20 or G30 hunting blind.  Basically the same thing as the quick fish for quite a bit less.  Heck, they are on clearance at most placed now.  I paid $80 for mine.

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:54 PM »
My Shappell S2000 has been a great shack and they make a slightly larger S3000.  As an owner of an Ice Cube/Sub Zero and an S2000 I would say the Cube is bigger, but the S2000 sets up easier (doesn't act like a sail when it's windy) and it folds into a sled which is nice for us guys who have to walk out on the ice a lot.

Offline tbor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2008, 05:44 PM »
The clincher for me is that I do not own a truck, station wagon or mini van so the 4 man Eastman Ice Cube fits in my car.  The other 4 man shelters were borderline (it seemed) and this was a shooin.  I think thewy all have their pros and cons, but I hope this conversation helps.

Fishing is zen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.