Author Topic: Need some ski ideas for Fish Trap?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
Need some ski ideas for Fish Trap?
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 05:40 PM »
I really have a need to put some type of skis on my Fish trap Yukon. It is just to hard to pull through heavy snow. I have a bunch of conduit and access to a welder. Just don't have any good ideas yet. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
Re: Need some ski ideas for Fish Trap?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:20 AM »
You can check my 12-13-2008 post in the chit chat section.  I put skis on mine and they work very well.   I've also included pics.  f-n-f

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:17 AM »
Thanks i will, but were do i find the chit chat post your talking about? Thanks

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:40 AM »
I really have a need to put some type of skis on my Fish trap Yukon. It is just to hard to pull through heavy snow. I have a bunch of conduit and access to a welder. Just don't have any good ideas yet. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

This is what I came up with, should drags like a dream and aide in loading/unloading.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:04 AM »
I would think that if snow makes it hard to drag then you want something to ride on the snow not cut through it. Have you looked around for used skiis. I see them cheap in junk stores all the time. I know a guy who has them under his sled and he just ran a long carriage bolt from the bottom of the ski up through a spacer block and a nut and big washer inside the sled. On bare ice the bolt heads ride on the ice, but that doesn't slow him down much. I accuse him of having to scratch a trail so he can find his way home.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Hey Bart, i have thought of just making skis out of the tubing i have, but still wondering when your tubes sink into the snow does it make pulling that much easier? Does however look pretty cool. I have the yukon and when i add my power auger she gets pretty heavy. I know it i need a quad.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Hey Bart, i have thought of just making skis out of the tubing i have, but still wondering when your tubes sink into the snow does it make pulling that much easier? Does however look pretty cool. I have the yukon and when i add my power auger she gets pretty heavy. I know it i need a quad.

I only used it one time so far, 4" of slush. It cut it like butter, I'll keep you posted.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.