Author Topic: homemade tip downs  (Read 10381 times)

Offline akriverrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on step baby!!
homemade tip downs
« on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:06 PM »
i am going to make some homade tip downs out of some 2x2 and 1x2 lath. i am wondering how much weight in the rear of the tip down should i have? i plan on having the spool in the back but can make adjustments before i drill the pivot hole in. i dont imagine you want very much, just enough to make it rest backside down. i will be using these for burbot and pike and whatever else wants to grab the bait down there.
summers over i finally get to do some fishin!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: homemade tip downs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:15 AM »
akriverrat: Here's a picture of my set-up.

If you look closely you can see where an elastic goes from the horizontal arm to the upright (top left side). On the left side of the horizontal arm is a small finishing nail. A sliding loop is tied in the dacron line and placed over the nail. When a fish hits the arm pivots down & the loop slides off the nail allowing the line to free spool. Upon  grabbing to line and setting the hook the loop slides out of the line (don't use mono). Also once the loop slides off the nail the horizontal arm pops up vertically indicating a hit. The orange reflective paint on the ends of the arm shows up good and is quite visible under lantern light at night. 3 holes are drilled in the horizontal arm so that you can compensate for different weights of baits.

Best Wishes: Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline akriverrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on step baby!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2008, 11:16 PM »
looks like a good system, thanks for the input woodsman. ill have to give that a try.
summers over i finally get to do some fishin!

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:48 AM »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:32 PM »
When I balance my tip down, I rig it so it balances level, with my intended lure clipped to the line, hanging in the air. Once it's in the water, the lure a bit "lighter" so the tip down is slightly butt heavy. I find if you rig them to balance level when the bait is in the water, they're moving around all the time in the wind and it's hard to tell if it's a fish or not. Too butt heavy, and the fish will feel resistance and drop the bait. Last thing, I've found painting part of the tip down in black to give the best contrast against the white of the snow and ice. Here's a picture of my latest set-up, before I sanded and painted it. Let us know how yours turned out!

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:27 AM »
 I use some I made many years ago similar to the ones in the link with the coat hanger wire on top and the sliding sinker. With those you can adjust the balance point to make them extremely sensitive or not so much so. Depending on whether you're using perch/crappie minnows or walleye/pike. And you actually get a "flag" when the weight slides forward. Especially nice at night with reflective tape on the tail end.

The only thing I do differently is I cinch a rubber band on the line and hang that from the finish nail on the front. And mine are a little more downsized.
Ron

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:42 AM »
I made some for my father for x-mas.  If you or any one else wants i would send mesurements. And every thing.

Rods are just el cheapo walmart ones.

All foled up little larger then the pole.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:11 PM »
bump.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.