Author Topic: ~~~WIND~~~~~STORIES~~~~~~~~  (Read 1190 times)

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
~~~WIND~~~~~STORIES~~~~~~~~
« on: Dec 14, 2008, 01:04 PM »
I"ve gotta hear some stories about fishing today. I was gonna go then I figured that my shanty would end up in Canada, like a hot air balloon on steriods.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ~~~WIND~~~~~STORIES~~~~~~~~
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Yesterday I was hole hoping so I left my Scout sit while I move around.  All of a sudden I heard a freight train and looked over and it was my Scout flying right past me about 2 feet to my left.  I didn't catch it for another 30 or so yards.  I am pretty sure that thing could have done damage had it ran into the back of me.  What baffles me still is that fact that I still had my little lantern on the ice in front of the Scout which didn't get knocked over, somehow the Scout went from point A to point C without knocking over the lantern at point B, all points A, B, C were in the same line.  The only thing I can think of is that the wind picked it up off the ice about 12 inches to clear the lantern, who knows though.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I was in my scout late yesterday afternnon, back facing into the wind, and next thing I know I'm goin' for a ride.  Knocked my new lantern over and broke the globe.. first time out with it, of course.  Left my Vex beside the hole, but I had my rod in my hand,  I went about 15' before getting my cleats to dig in enough to get me stopped, just as my jig came out of the hole. 

I was going to go back today until I heard what the wind gusts were going to be, so I decided to stay home.  Drove by Summit.  What I could see of it from the causeway, it is still locked, but the wind sure was blowing the water across the top of the ice.  Looks like Summit is down about 3' from summer pool also. 

Jeff

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2008, 04:01 PM »
          Saturday out on Loomis, looked over at my tip up and the WIND gust blew it out of the hole.  It took off across the lake about 150+ yards, the hook and bait stayed in the hole. It unspooled the almost all the line until it hit the shore. Its a good thing the wind was from the east, the other direction was open water. Anyway,  We all got a good laugh out of it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:24 PM »
Bruce
We had a wind story from lake James this summer. We were down in the lower basin and noticed a storm coming
in from the west so we headed back to the cottage which is in the upper basin. This time it was me my wife and
my daughter. My boy stayed back at the cottage. We got about halfway across the basin and we saw sparks from behind a place two doors down. The wind picked up and when we got to the buoy it picked the boat lift up
over the pier and flipped it over. just missed my boy and my fishing boat. Very scary! The power of the wind should never be underestimated. We got off lucky but will never forget how fast storms and wind can move in.
Glad to hear everything went alright for you Bruce.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I would say, "THE HAWK IS OUT".

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Great stories,   I have gone for a ride in a shanty a few times myself :whistle:.   Love to see the look on a newbies face when it happens to them :D

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:22 AM »
          Saturday out on Loomis, looked over at my tip up and the WIND gust blew it out of the hole.  It took off across the lake about 150+ yards, the hook and bait stayed in the hole. It unspooled the almost all the line until it hit the shore. Its a good thing the wind was from the east, the other direction was open water. Anyway,  We all got a good laugh out of it.

Thats funny. When this stuff happens, all you can do is watch in amazement and wait to see where it lands.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Thats funny. When this stuff happens, all you can do is watch in amazement and wait to see where it lands.
I dont think we are in Kansas anymore Toto.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.