Author Topic: Auger Question  (Read 447 times)

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger Question
« on: Dec 13, 2008, 11:16 PM »
I broke the rope to start my auger (right at the end).

I took it apart tonite and when I undid the spring to re-feed the rope a coil of thin metal came unravelled from the recoil mechanism.

Anyone know what this could be and how do I put it back in?

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Auger Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Sounds like the recoil spring.
They are a bit trickey to get back in there and at the same time getting it all wound up with enough tension on it to get the rope wound back in after you give it a pull.
I do`nt know what brand it is or what engine is on it so it would be real difficult to tell You how to get it done.
The best thing to do is practice putting it together without the rope or spring so You know how it all fits back in there then wind the rope around its sheave and wind the spring up some and put it together,It will take a few attempts to get it right and have a nice snappy return on the recoil rope but I have great confidence that with a couple of dry runs before the final assembly that You can do it.
Having a book on that particular engine is a big help for any maintenance that the engine will need.Most engine manufacturers will have an online manual for the engine that can be downloaded and saved to file on Your computer or printed out free of charge.
the only other choices might be a good friend that`s familiar with the workings of small engines or a repair shop.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger Question
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2008, 12:37 AM »
Sounds like the recoil spring.
They are a bit trickey to get back in there and at the same time getting it all wound up with enough tension on it to get the rope wound back in after you give it a pull.
I do`nt know what brand it is or what engine is on it so it would be real difficult to tell You how to get it done.
The best thing to do is practice putting it together without the rope or spring so You know how it all fits back in there then wind the rope around its sheave and wind the spring up some and put it together,It will take a few attempts to get it right and have a nice snappy return on the recoil rope but I have great confidence that with a couple of dry runs before the final assembly that You can do it.
Having a book on that particular engine is a big help for any maintenance that the engine will need.Most engine manufacturers will have an online manual for the engine that can be downloaded and saved to file on Your computer or printed out free of charge.
the only other choices might be a good friend that`s familiar with the workings of small engines or a repair shop.

Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.