The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hattie Ice  (Read 26394 times)

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hattie Ice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2008, 11:30 PM »
how do you guys end up catching the kokanee? is it just incidental or do you actually try for them? jigs or bait?
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2008, 11:36 PM »
Last year at the derby I lucked into one each day, jigging for trout with homemade chartreuse jigs.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:46 PM »
how do you guys end up catching the kokanee? is it just incidental or do you actually try for them? jigs or bait?
  I have not targeted kokes but they do seem to hold in certain areas of the lake. Usually I catch them 2-4 feet below the ice working small jigs.
  On another note I fished hattie again today. I caught this nice male bow at about eight feet in a 15 ft. water collumn. He was just over 22" long and was between 4&5 lbs. Sorry about the clutter, I was in a hurry to get him back into the water.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2008, 05:03 AM »
How much ice is on Hattie and is anybody getting any pearch

Offline wyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:37 AM »

We were out on Sunday from dawn til 3, caught 8 or 9 perch, kept 6 from 9-12 1/2, pretty slow, punched alot of holes to find the ones we did catch.
Ice was 5 inches most everywhere, probably 7 or so by now. Probably going back out tomorrow again.

Offline wyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:03 PM »
  I have not targeted kokes but they do seem to hold in certain areas of the lake. Usually I catch them 2-4 feet below the ice working small jigs.
  On another note I fished hattie again today. I caught this nice male bow at about eight feet in a 15 ft. water collumn. He was just over 22" long and was between 4&5 lbs. Sorry about the clutter, I was in a hurry to get him back into the water.

Hi Tumbleweed,

Whereabouts on hattie have you been focusing your efforts? Looks like you do consistently well. We try to find the deepest water we can looking for perch,
any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:43 PM »
wyperch, I sent you a pm. Let me know if you got it. Also, welcome to the shanty. tumbleweed

Offline Wyo2AK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Nice fish everyone!  Especially that pig wyowind caught... :woot:  Talk about braving some weather and being rewarded.  Glad to see people are getting out on the ice and catching some nice rainbows.  It looks like tumbleweed has those 'bows figured out.

wyperch - I used to always have my best luck finding perch on the west/northwest side of the lake, and also across the channel (is there even water there still?  I thought I heard it was about two lakes these days) to the east of the bluffs.  As low as that lake's gotten the past few years, the deep spots aren't so deep anymore.

bbkyle35 - if you can find where the kokes are concentrating to spawn you can get on a lot of them.  As tumbleweed said, stay shallow (less than 6 fow).  We could usually find some on the east end out (way out ::)) from the boat ramp and on the west end of the lake below the end of the road.  As the season goes on and they get spawned out they're not as good for the table (still good for the smoker  ;D) but they're still fun to catch.
Don't worry about me... I'm from Wyoming.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:40 PM »
thanks for the tips guys. It would be nice to have a nice salmon for the dorm room. now I just need to figure out how to ice fish while living in those tiny rooms. ;D
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline wyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:06 PM »
wyperch, I sent you a pm. Let me know if you got it. Also, welcome to the shanty. tumbleweed

Thanks tumbleweed, for the reply and the tips (and the welcome), apparantly I can't reply to PM,  was out at hattie today and it was dismal,
dawn til dusk, 4 fish, 3 perch, 1 bow (16 inch) released it. can't seem to find the perch.

thanks again

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:22 PM »
apparantly I can't reply to PM

wyperch, you just gotta get 2 more posts before you can use the p.m. tool, etc.  welcome.

Offline wyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:35 PM »
wyperch, you just gotta get 2 more posts before you can use the p.m. tool, etc.  welcome.

Thanks, appreciate the info, and welcome, 

Going out again tomorrow, despite the slow day on Wednesday, does anyone know if a person can get all the way west across the channel? to the far reaches of the west part of the lake? If you can, is it worth fishing?

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:47 PM »
thinking of heading up to hattie tom if the roads arent to bad let me know how that west end works out for you ive never fished it i think all the spots i have fished are out of the water now.

Offline MaineWyofishslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:34 AM »
the past few days at Hattie

Watch your top knot!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:37 AM »
the 2 salmon were caught about 2 feet below the ice and the two bows were caught on bottom
Watch your top knot!

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2008, 02:46 AM »
sweet hookjaws.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Good Job!

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Wow.....the Bows in that lake are pigs!!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:49 AM »
yeah hattie has been producing really well so far this year. perch are sporadic but the salmon and trout are there.
Watch your top knot!

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Anyone going to be going to Hattie in the morning.  I was thinking about hitting it up for a couple hours. Maybe try a few new spots. Got to be back in town at 11 but that is plenty of daylight to catch a few fish.

Zack

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:10 PM »
Had a great day today on Hattie, fished numerous places and we caught fish everywhere. This time i was able to take a better picture. Numerous rainbows and a couple perch and Salmon. Hey big zee are you headed out sunday.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Thats one nice bow you got there wyowind. I have to go out of town this weekend but I should be able to get back over that way next weekend. Hope to see ya then. Gulp
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:56 PM »
i'll be out there tomorrow. should have the green eskimo shack set up. stop by and have a brew!
Watch your top knot!

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:24 AM »
I decided to head to denver a day early concidering the weather.  I am going to be flying out sunday afternoon to go to washington for christmas.  Ill be back friday and plan to do some serious fishing before i have to start working on the 5th.  Hattie has been producing some sereious fish this year cant wait to get back.  Merry christmas.
ZAck

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Those are some nice fish WMslayer and wyowind. Nothing better than having one of those kind of days!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Nice fish Slayer and wyowind did you tape your fish or get a weight that looks big. congrats guys!

Offline wyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:04 PM »

We fished Hattie on friday, picked up 6 rainbows (C&R) biggest was 18-19 inches , nice and fat, saw plenty more that were bigger down
the hole but couldn't get them to take the bait, found a few more perch finally, around 14. haven't seen a salmon yet after 3 days on the lake
last week, we fished towards the west side this time, definately more perch that way for us. Nice big rainbows being caught and posted, great job
guys.

Offline FishinPharmacist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:36 PM »
Looks like Wyowind has got Hattie figured out this year!!! Congrats nice bows in the course of about a week.  Don't want you to give up your "secrets" but you you fishing bottom or working the column?

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 21, 2008, 11:17 AM »
Hello everyone.FishinPharmac ist I have been fishing right on the bottom until the fish come through then i will bring it up about eight inches letting the fish come up from below for the bait. They seem more aggressive when they can strike from below, also it helps getting a good hook in them. I am all about catch and release of these large bows and i rarelly put a tape to them or even weight them. A couple quick pictures and off they go. I dont want to beat a dead horse but I think if we all allow these fish to live another day next years catchs could be the best ever. I am sad to say, but the lake trout are all gone, and if we are not careful it will happen to the bows too. I will be on channel seven throughout the tourney so if you guys get bored give me a jingle. Good luck everyone and Go Wyo.

Offline FishinPharmacist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:26 PM »
Thanks for the info WYOWIND!!!!
Sounds like you are either using electronics/camera to "see" the fish come through?  In anycase looks like your season is going great.
I agree that C&R of the larger fish is the only way to go;  have two little kids and want them to hook a true big one some day too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.